Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Good night for wrestlers at UFC 117
Leo Zimmer added to this discussion on August 8, 2010

Chael Sonnen made Silva look silly despite the loss. Jon Fitch was a takedown machine. Johny Hendricks and Phil Davis with big wins. Matt Hughes and Rick Story both win.

No coincidence that Dana White put so many wrestlers on the same card, and they all shined.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Rex Holman added to this discussion on August 8, 2010

NCAA wrestling pipeline into MMA is growing and will only get bigger. As witnessed, it takes 1-2 years to accrue a highly competitive skillset following college. Wrestling as a foundation for MMA is shining. Getting the coaching and environment to continue ones' development enables the transition.

I am looking forward to the card that has a WRESTLER in each bout.

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on August 9, 2010

Quote from Leo Zimmer's post:

"Chael Sonnen made Silva look silly despite the loss. Jon Fitch was a takedown machine. Johny Hendricks and Phil Davis with big wins. Matt Hughes and Rick Story both win.

No coincidence that Dana White put so many wrestlers on the same card, and they all shined."

"Shining" in a loss is a shine with NO luster.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on August 9, 2010

Sonnen controlled the fight without a doubt. It was shame to see him lose in that manner, but credit is due to Silva for taking the beating and still winning.

After Silva's ridiculous performances his previous couple fights I was very eager to see someone beat him up. Sonnen did that, just couldn't finish.

Rick Wasmer added to this discussion on August 9, 2010

I think they need to institute a clear tap out rule . I'm not saying he didn't tap , but it was one slight touch .
Make the rule more exact for everyone . I would say when the ref sees 3 taps , or beyond it's obvious .Especially like in this fight where his hand was free to tap . I know sometimes the arm gets caught or can't be seen , but his hand was in the open and free , and he barely touched his leg .

The same thing happened to Joe Warren , he was in an awkward position , and the guy had an arm bar , but he made one wrong move with his hand and end of fight .

Leo Zimmer added to this discussion on August 9, 2010

Quote from Gary Sommers's post:

"

"Chael Sonnen made Silva look silly despite the loss. Jon Fitch was a takedown machine. Johny Hendricks and Phil Davis with big wins. Matt Hughes and Rick Story both win.

No coincidence that Dana White put so many wrestlers on the same card, and they all shined."

"Shining" in a loss is a shine with NO luster."

Can't argue with that Gary. While Sonnen may have lost, the others I mentioned each won.

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on August 10, 2010

"

Quote from Gary Sommers's post:

"

"Shining" in a loss is a shine with NO luster."

Can't argue with that Gary. While Sonnen may have lost, the others I mentioned each won."

Leo, I understand.

► Add to the Discussion