Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Buckeye Lineup Questions
Roe Fox added to this discussion on August 3, 2010

For anyone with information, I have read recently two interesting items and wonder if anyone can help confirm or deny.

First, is Colt going 157? Second, TheMat.com indicated that Collin Palmer hurt his back and may not be wrestling. Any truth?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on August 3, 2010

This is from ohiowrestlingsite.com

125- Nikko Triggas- At this time, it's undetermined whether Triggas or Stieber will Redshirt, but I'd look for it to be Stieber.
133- Paul Paddock
141- ???? Didn't get this from that particular coach, but word is that Collin Palmer is having some health issues and is actually down to 140 lbs. walking around (you would probably expect him to be closer to 155 off-season). Combine that with a host of personal distraction, not the least of which is a young child to raise, and I am not certain that you're gonna see him competing next year, or maybe ever. I'd look for either Jacob Vaughan or Garrett Henry to be the guy.
149- Sean Nemec- the brass thinks that Nemec can and will get down to this weight. While many thought Jameson could get down to 149 this year, apparently he is over 170 now and unlikely to make it down here.
157- Colt Sponseller- Never a big 165, this is the weights that Sponseller would seem to have the best shot at winning a National Title at, with two monsters in NCAA Champs Andrew Howe and Jordan Burroughs competing at 165. FWIW I think this would be a great move- the biggest obstacle Colt seems to have against the very best guys is power and 157 doesn't have a true marquee player.
165- Tony Jameson/Josh Demas- Jameson would be light for this weight, which is the only misgiving the staff seems to have about Colt dropping to 157.
174- Josh Demas/Nick Heflin/Tommy Pendleton
184- Heflin/Pete Capone
197- Cody Magrum (Magrum to 184 may be a possibility)
285- Tyrell Fortune (not eligible until 2nd semester)/John Hiles

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on August 3, 2010

Is it a certainty Fortune will be eligible at all this season?

Ben Golden added to this discussion on August 3, 2010

Quote from James Kessen's post:

"
133- Paul Paddock"

I wasn't aware that Paul Paddock had transferred here, but his weight cut must be terrible. If I'm not mistaken, Sponseller beat him at Sr. Nationals wrestling 160. That's discipline!

Just kidding...

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on August 3, 2010

I keep reading that Sponseller will wrestle 157 but is that really a fact? Or is it something that keeps getting written and has taken on a life of its own?

I think he's a solid 165 size wise. He's wrestled very well at the weight class including a lot of wins over guys that have been All Americans. Yes, he's never placed at the national tourney. But my opinion is that it has had more to do with tactics and strategies than Colt being small at the weight class. Colt is a fabulous wrestler but somewhat predictable and defensible for guys of a certain skill level. That strikes me as the major issue.

If Colt can make the cut to 157 and wrestle well than I'll stand down. But right now I'm not sure it's a sensible move. It seems a bit desperate. And it doesn't address what I see as his biggest problems ie: getting out on bottom and getting in on his leg attacks against guys that can stop his underhook and short drag set ups.

Sean Nemec to 149 works well if he can successfully cut the weight. The injury to Collin Palmer has left a hole in the lower wts which he would help fill. It also allows the promising Jameson to take over at 157. Nemec has never been in the lineup long enough to establish a rhythm as a starter. Hopefully this season it happens regardless of his weight class.

The potential loss of Collin Palmer is significant. He is a 4x state champ from St Eds and one of the most talented recruits in the history of the Buckeye program. If he is unable to get healthy, straighten out whatever issues he may be facing (I don't know about them so I won't speculate), it's a big blow to the program. While there are other talented wrestlers/recruits able to take his spot, a healthy, motivated Collin Palmer is likely to rapidly develop into a top eight wrestler at 141-149. I think it's easy to underestimate his potential value.

As to the idea of Josh Demas as a starter---I vote against it. His talent is obvious but he strikes me as someone that needs time to develop esp. when it comes to mat wrestling. I think that the Bucks should redshirt him next season and allow him to acclimate via open events. Then again, Coach Ryan has consistently started the best wrestler at the weight regardless of year. If Demas is the best 165/174, he'll probably be in the lineup regardless of my opinion (the nerve of that guy).

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on August 4, 2010

125/133 pounds: There are a few issues to look at here. First, who wins a wrestle-off between Nikko Triggas and Logan Stieber? Second, does Triggas want to move up to 133 pounds? Third, who wins a wrestle-off between Triggas and Ian Paddock? Fourth, how much would Triggas benefit from a redshirt year to move up to 133 pounds?

285 pounds: Every indication is that Tyrell Fortune will be eligible and competing for the Buckeyes when the winter quarter begins. Will he defeat John Hiles in a wrestle-off?

On Colt going to 157 pounds... On one hand you have 165 with returning NCAA champions Howe and Burroughs. On the other hand you have Bubba Jenkins, Adam Hall, Steve Fittery, Alex Meade, Jason Welch, David Taylor, etc. and the possibility of NCAA champion Darrion Caldwell moving up. If the move is based on Colt feeling better at 157, that's good. If the move is based on which weight class would be easier, I don't know if it is good.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on August 4, 2010

Quote from Dan Cosimi's post:

"

On Colt going to 157 pounds... On one hand you have 165 with returning NCAA champions Howe and Burroughs. On the other hand you have Bubba Jenkins, Adam Hall, Steve Fittery, Alex Meade, Jason Welch, David Taylor, etc. and the possibility of NCAA champion Darrion Caldwell moving up. If the move is based on Colt feeling better at 157, that's good. If the move is based on which weight class would be easier, I don't know if it is good."

Is Meade moving to 157?

Mark Viviani added to this discussion on August 4, 2010

what about this
125- Stieber
133 triggas
141 paddock

i think this would be the strongest lineup.

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on August 4, 2010

Quote from Mark Viviani's post:

"what about this
125- Stieber
133 triggas
141 paddock

I think this would be the strongest lineup."

I see that as the likely 2011/2012 look. Start Stieber and Paddock and rs Triggas to give him the chance to grow into 133.

Chris Shepherd added to this discussion on August 4, 2010

Is Garcia a no-go for the upcoming season? I thought he would return next season or am I still a year ahead of myself?

Ben Golden added to this discussion on August 4, 2010

Quote from Chris Shepherd's post:

"Is Garcia a no-go for the upcoming season? I thought he would return next season or am I still a year ahead of myself?"

Garcia will enroll at OSU before the 2011/2012 season; he won't be there this year.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on August 4, 2010

I was from me to my computer screen away from Colt when the question was asked about him going to 157. His initial reply... "Boy! Word gets around fast!"

My thought: Even though he later expounded on the cut to 157, I think it is an option. That's just Mark Niemann thinking aloud. Not doubting, not denying, not anything. Just saying.

► Add to the Discussion