Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2

Discussion Topic: National Wrestling Hall of Fame, Ohio Chapter
Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on July 31, 2010

I've compiled a list of some of the most notable (based on what they won) wrestlers in Ohio history.

Criteria
1. Champion at the Olympic Team Trials
2. Champion at the World Team Trials
3. Champion at the NCAA Division 1 National Tournament
4. Four-time Champion at the Ohio High School State Tournament

Here's the list: http://ohiowrestling.net/2010/07/possible_ohio_wrestling_hall-of-fame_candidates.html

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on August 1, 2010

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Same for Chanel coach (I am blanking on his name)."

Hank, are you thinking Graham Coghill?

Jared Opfer added to this discussion on September 13, 2010

Event on GOhio

http://gohiocasts.com/event/main/show/id/237553-National-Wrestling-Hall-of-Fame-Ohio-GOhioCasts

Fred Feeney added to this discussion on September 13, 2010

Bob Triano...a long time college wrestling official...and all around nice guy. He did 16 NCAA D1 finals....wheres the love????

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on September 13, 2010

Joe Begala of Kent St was the biggest ommission, read the man's bio on page 1 of this thread and be in awe-- he should have been induction # 1, in fact i'd say he could be in the NATIONAL Hall in Oklahoma, not just the Ohio Hall for which he was overlooked.

(footnote: its not wrestling, but heres a recent release of interest from the OHSAA --hats off to this lady:

The Board approved the nomination of Minster native Catherine “Katie” Horstman for the NATIONAL High School Hall of Fame.

Horstman was an all-star in the All-American Girls Professional Baseball League in the 1950s and in 1992 was a consultant and appeared in the movie “A League of Their Own.” She taught and coached at Minster High School for 25 years and led Wildcat teams to a total of 17 state championships or runner-up finishes in girls track and field, volleyball and cross country.)

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on September 13, 2010

matter of fact, just thinking about it made me mad, so i penned this today:

To: Executive Director National Wrestling Hall of Fame Lee Roy Smith

Lee Roy,

I would like to nominate former Kent State University head coach Joe Begala for the National Wrestling Hall of Fame as a Distinguished Member. I urge Ohio native and Distinguished Member Bobby Douglas to also nominate Coach Begala, if Bobby sees fit to do so.(Copy of this sent to Bobby Douglas.)

I know the bar is very high, but I believe you will see he meets the standard when you read his resume. This man has, for some strange reason, been overlooked even in his home state.

I enclose 2 items: a story done about Coach Begala in Sports Illustrated in 1961, and below that, his Biography. (same items as posted on page 1 of this thread.)

s/BobP

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on September 14, 2010

ok, in the interest of doing whats right i'm making this my project, i enclose below the reply from Lee Roy Smith, director of the National Hall of Fame.

I'm glad Joe Begala was overlooked by the Ohio chapter, now we can shoot for the biggest prize, which coach Begala deserves, the National Hall in Oklahoma--- i need 3 dignitaries to supply references, i believe Bobby Douglas will be one.

I need TWO MORE BIGGIES, names that will be respected by the National Hall of Fame. My email is ohiobobp@aol.com , ph 216-941-7956. i will coordinate & submit the paperwork if i get the high stature references i need to support coach Begala.

FYI, i recieved today from Lee Roy Smith:

Bob:

Joe has been nominated for Distinguished Member many years ago but fell out of the pool of nominees because of a lack of votes. You are welcome to submit the attached application on behalf of Coach Begala and generate no more than three references on his behalf. As soon as the request for his nomination is made he will enter the Veteran Distinguished Member Committee next September. The Veterans Committee was formed about five years ago to screen and select those nominations over 60 years of age.

Thanks much,

Lee Roy Smith

Executive Director

National Wrestling Hall of Fame & Museum

405 W. Hall of Fame Ave.

Stillwater, OK 74075

www.wrestlinghalloffame.org

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2