Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: National Wrestling Hall of Fame, Ohio Chapter
Jared Opfer added to this discussion on July 29, 2010

Thoughts on Inaugural Class...

The class of 2010 to be honored on September 12, 2010 at the Embassy Suites in Columbus-Dublin.

“Lifetime Service to Wrestling” Award

Chris Ford

Jim Humphrey

Harry Houska

Richard “Doc” Leffler

Richard Bonacci

George Kovalick

“Outstanding American from Ohio”

Congressman Jim Jordan

“Medal of Courage”

Dustin Carter

More Info...
http://www.wrestlinghalloffame.org/statechapter.php?state=OH

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on July 29, 2010

Maybe I don't understand the criteria for induction, but my first thought is if Mike Milkovich is not in the inaugural class then it is a joke.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on July 29, 2010

Bobby Douglas talked to me about this-- criteria for this Ohio Hall excludes those ALREADY in the National Hall of Fame in Oklahoma, one would be Mike Milkovich of course.

Thus even excluding Mike Milkovich, Pat Milkovich, Lee Kemp, Bobby Doulgas, Bill Kerslake, Joe Scalzo, Russ Hellickson, John Vaughn, and Dick Torio who are already in the National Hall--- nevertheless for an inaugural class, the merits of this one could be debated, esp from a "Whose Missing?" or "Whose More Worthy?" standpoint.

One problem i see is there are no wrestlers listed (--- i mean theres no one selected primarily for their wrestling record other than maybe Jim Jordan, no pure wrestlers selected like an Alan Fried for example). Ohio has had some GREAT ones that wont make the National Hall, but should make the Ohio Hall. Where are the wrestlers?? s/BobP

Last edited by Bob Preusse on July 29, 2010; edited 1 time in total

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on July 29, 2010

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"Bobby Douglas talked to me about this-- criteria for this Ohio Hall excludes those ALREADY in the National Hall of Fame in Oklahoma, one would be Mike Milkovich of course.

Thus even excluding Mike Milkovich, Pat Milkovich, Lee Kemp, Bobby Doulgas, Bill Kerslake, Joe Scalzo, Russ Hellickson, John Vaughn, and Dick Torio who are already in the National Hall--- nevertheless for an inaugural class, the merits of this one could be debated, esp from a "Whose Missing?" or "Whose More Worthy?" standpoint.

One problem I see is there are no wrestlers listed. Ohio has had some GREAT ones that won't make the National Hall, but should make the Ohio Hall. Where are the wrestlers?? s/BobP"

Thanks Bob! I did not realize Pat is in with his father. Tom probably could have been too, just seemed to have some injury issues at the wrong times in college.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on July 29, 2010

One of the first members from Ohio would be the late Al Carroll, long time secretary of the Greater Cleveland Wrestling Coaches and Officials Assn. Before there was an internet, Al Carroll was keeping track of every single wrestling result in Greater Cleveland by hand. For decades, he was involved in most everything that took place in Northeast Ohio. No way to explain how much he did on behalf of high school wrestling. The old timers and middle agers (me) know.

yes Al Carrol, good choice. --How about former Kent St coach Joe Begala, he brought the NCAA tourn here twice in the 1960s?

but Where are THE WRESTLERS??? What a oversight-- some possibilites:
....3X Olympian Dick Wilson, Alan Fried, Tom Milkovich, Marcus Mollica, Tommy Rowlands, Kevin Randelman, Joe Heskett, Olympian Greg Wojciechowski, Ryan Bertin.

Possible high school coaches, some GREAT choices here:
....Gene Gibbons, Mike Papouras, Harold Kester, John Matteucci, Clarence Eckert, Howard Ferguson, Bill Barger, Graham Coghill

Others:
....Dan Fickel, 26 years covering college Div I, II, III, JC, NAIA for WR USA mag, 15 years covering high school.
....Bill & Ken Dies, founders Ohio Youth Assn
....Brakeman, no one in any state does what hes done since the early 70s when there was No internet.

i have to feel many of these worthy people should have been included in this inaugural class. s/BobP

i looked at the National Hall of Fame website and i cant find former Kent St coach Joe Begala anywhere, yet he is NOT in Ohio's inaugural class? Say it aint so pleeeezzz---

Exerpt from March 1961 issue of Sports Illustrated:

At next week's NCAA championships, the nation's best college wrestlers will meet to decide the top man in each of 10 weights. The top college coach at any weight, however, was decided early last month. That is when Joseph Begala of Kent State University, a little-known northern Ohio college where a wrestling match at midnight could out-draw a free lunch at the Captain Brady (the campus Waldorf), became the winningest coach in the history of collegiate wrestling.

The idea that Begala is the most successful coach is supported by the record books; the idea that he also is the best is supported by Joe himself. He is confident that his do-it-yourself coaching philosophy is second to none for producing topnotch wrestlers.

Over a 29-year span, Begala has coached 184 individual conference, district and AAU champions, many of whom had never wrestled or even seen a college match before enrolling at Kent State. His lifetime record is 226 wins, 37 losses and 2 ties.

Begala has continually sent his squads against major colleges in the Midwest. He holds a winning margin over every school he has ever scheduled except Oklahoma University and Syracuse. All this has been done the hard way—without offering "pin money" (Joe's term for college wrestling scholarships).

Throughout his career, Begala has maintained that "college athletics are strictly for enjoyment; so why pay a boy to enjoy himself?" Nevertheless, dozens of high school wrestlers invade his office in the Kent State gymnasium each year with the question, "What will you give me if I come to Kent?" Before the enterprising young wrestlers can say another word, Begala interrupts them with his stock offer. "If you make the team, you'll get a school letter; if you don't, you'll get a good education anyway."

But despite Begala's antipathy toward scholarships, each year some of the best high school wrestlers in the Midwest show up in Kent State's tiny wrestling room on the first day of practice. (A few grant-in-aid scholarships were set up by the university three years ago but they are not awarded until an athlete has been in school a year and then only to needy cases.) A Cleveland sportswriter attempted to explain this enigma, saying, "If a kid wants the best coaching available, he'll go to Joe. Then, if he can't wrestle for Kent, he can always transfer to a Big Ten school."

Biographical Note
Joseph William Begala was born in Struthers, Ohio, on March 4, 1907, and died in Kent, Ohio, on April 24, 1978. Professor Begala received an A.B. degree from Ohio University in 1929, a B.A. from Kent State University in 1933 and an M.A. from Ohio University in 1935.

While in the United States Navy, which he entered in 1942, he co-authored Hand-to-Hand Combat which the Navy and Marine Corps adopted as a training manual. He was discharged in 1946 at the rank of lieutenant commander.

Except for the time spent at Ohio University and in military service, Professor Begala taught health and physical education at Kent State University from 1929 to 1972. At various times during his academic career, he coached golf, track, tennis, football and cross-county. He is best remembered for his accomplishments as a wrestling coach.

Indeed, with a record of 307 wins, 69 losses and 5 ties over a period of forty-two seasons, he became known nationally as the "winningest wrestling coach." He retired from coaching in 1971.

Among the many honors bestowed on Coach Begala during his career were the "Croix of Chavalier of FILA (International Wrestling Award from France)" in 1967 and acceptance into the national "Helm's Hall of Fame" in 1969. In 1971, Kent State University awarded him "The President's Medal."

hi Jared,

i think people would like to know WHO comprised the Committee that made the selections, thats a matter of great interest.

Ohio has never had a chapter of the National Wrestling Hall of Fame (located in Stillwater Oklahoma)-- i presume this is the first step to establishing one. But we need more info & openness for this to be "accepted" by the wrestling public.

To be frank there are a couple Ohio H of F names selected that i don't think would have been on most longtime fans lists for the inaugural class, and there are major ommissions -- and i say longtime fans because they have the perspective of history thats needed.

(btw, i was asked by Bobby Douglas-- as were several others i know of-- to submit to him my Ohio H of F recommendations, which i did. But after that i have no idea what went on, and who was in charge, and who made the selections. I'm sure it was a Committee. We all would like to know more. You can email me at ohiobobp@aol.com or call me 216-941-7956.) s/BobP

Jared Opfer added to this discussion on July 30, 2010

I completely agree. The chapter 's status is lost if the right selections are not made, especially the initial class.

Thanks for sharing Coach Begala's story. It definitely paints a better picture of who he was.

Ben Stehura added to this discussion on July 30, 2010

As many of you know Dick Bonacci is being inducted in the first class of the Ohio chapter. We are very pleased and excited for coach as it is a great honor and one he is very deserving of. Feel free to contact me for any information regarding the banquet. We would like to make sure that CSU and Northeast Ohio is well represented at the event.
b.stehura@csuohio.edu
Also registration and donation information can be found at at
www.oh-nwhof.ticketleap.com

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on July 30, 2010

congrats coach Bonacci well deserved !

btw, here is The Ohio Committee, i contacted the National Hall of Fame to find out.

i luv him but Tom Ryan is from NY and has been here 5 years, he doesnt know who should be in Ohio's Hall of Fame. Need more savvy old timers who have a historical persective. (Not much if any NE Ohio presence on this committee.)

Chairman Bill Lam --- Andy DiSabato

--- Lee Spitzer --- Tom Ryan

--- Joel Greenlee --- Bobby Douglas

--- John Riggs --- Russ Hellickson

Tom Elmer added to this discussion on July 31, 2010

Bob,
If there is an Ohio Hall of Fame how about you? The man behind the two biggest high school tournaments that brought the best of the best from across the country to compete: Reno and Ironman. Long time columnist in the oldest and most respected publication in the sport: Amateur Wrestling News. And I might add, colorful, opinionated and dedicated beyond these accomplishments.

This topic does speak to our need to remember those who have and are helping to keep this great sport alive.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on July 31, 2010

(well thanks Tom, but my service to the sport pales in comparison to many other people. Frankly, I'm not deserving at all.)

fyi, i see these 5 Ohioans as being very deserving and overlooked in this inaugural class-- there are others I've listed previously, some may be as deserving as these, but these 5 jump out at me. I'm Not an Authority on everyones career, so any ommission is not intentional by me. But i like these 5:

...Joe Begala, 42 years Kent St highly successful head coach, brought the NCAA tourn to Kent twice in the 1960s-- 1963 & 1967--- how many today even KNOW THAT?? Retired with THE winningest dual meet record in college wrestling. ****No Begala is an ommission of RUTHIAN proportions.

...Gene Gibbons, former NCAA champ-- 50 years a very successful head high school coach (until "busing" killed Cleveland schools), most all at Cleveland John Marshall-- brought the Olympic Trials to Cleveland in the mid 70s. i think Gibbons is believed to be Ohio's all-time dual meet winner. Another huge ommission.

...Al Carroll, his resume was covered by Hank Kornblut, i believe he devoted 67 years to the sport. He may be credited with founding the Ohio state tourn? but i'm not an authority on Carroll's complete career, but i know it was highly distinguished.

...Dan Fickel, wrestled for Akron U, editor Wr USA magazine, for 26 years he has covered Div I, Div II, Div III, JC and NAIA-- in detail, enormous amount of work -- plus has covered high school for the past 15 or 16 years. He has PHOTOS of every kid who ever won fargo since about 1995 or state in Ohio the last 2 decades, his photo colection is mind-boggling.

...Brian Brakeman, many years ago i asked AWN editor Ron Good if any one else in any other state had a report like the Brakeman-- this was pre-internet, geting info was alot harder--- and Ron Good told me No. He's been doing it for almost 40 years & still does it. Others do it now too, but years ago The Brakeman Report was the authority, people would make copies of it and pass it around.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on July 31, 2010

Bob: You're more deserving than you realize but your accolades will probably come post-mortem.

Edward "Zip" Zednik founded the Ohio High School Wrestling Coaches Assn. and was head coach at Shaker for 26 years including the state champion squad of 1954.

I think any former NCAA D1 champs deserve membership such as Shawn Garel, Pat and Tom Milkovich, Dan St John, Ryan Bertin, Tom Rowlands, Mark Coleman, Kevin Randleman, Joe Heskett, jim Heffernan, etc...J. Jaggers, Mike Pucillo, etc...

Joe McFarland for his accomplishments as a wrestler and coach. Same for Shawn Nelson.

Tony DeCarlo, long time head coach at John Carroll.

Dave Mariola for his work at Longwood Y as well as Twinsburg High.

Same for Chanel coach (I am blanking on his name).

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next