Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: My son won't be wrestling next year but, it's not his choice
Mike Leedy added to this discussion on July 27, 2010

The OHSAA has made it so difficult that, unless we move from our home of nearly 20 years, there is nothing we can do. Here is an article from the Toledo paper with my boy pictured below.

http://www.toledoblade.com/article/20100718/SPORTS12/7180362

Last edited by Mike Leedy on July 27, 2010; edited 1 time in total

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Antony Sharples added to this discussion on July 27, 2010

Mike I really feel for you and your family. The whole Toledo area has been decimated by job loss and horrible management from city leaders and school board members. They should be ashamed of themselves for the way they have destroyed so many peoples lives.

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on July 28, 2010

Mike,
This is a terrible situation for your son (and I'm sure there are quite a few others) but I don't know if you're out of luck just yet. Would the OHSAA allow you to form your own team if the school won't pay for the program like we've seen with Daniel Kolodzik and J.C. Giffin?

Mike Leedy added to this discussion on July 28, 2010

Quote from Dan Cosimi's post:

"Mike,
This is a terrible situation for your son (and I'm sure there are quite a few others) but I don't know if you're out of luck just yet. Would the OHSAA allow you to form your own team if the school won't pay for the program like we've seen with Daniel Kolodzik and J.C. Giffin?"

Dan,

I don't know, I suppose it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on July 29, 2010

Dan Cosimi is on to something, it HAS been done. Kolodzik at Miami Prep, 2 brothers at Poland Seminary hs. Theres no reason the school cant have a one man team, unfunded. Of course the problem is the schedule.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on July 30, 2010

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"Dan Cosimi is on to something, it HAS been done. Kolodzik at Miami Prep, 2 brothers at Poland Seminary hs. Theres no reason the school cant have a one man team, unfunded. Of course the problem is the schedule."

I think you'd find many tournaments would let you enter for a small fee.

Larry Smith added to this discussion on August 26, 2010

You might be able to get the school administration to approve wrestling as a "club" sport, meaning that it has to be self-supporting, but you can still get the kids in the club entered in the Sectional tournament at the end of the season if you jump through all the right hoops for the OHSAA.

The "one-man team" route is a tough one. I did that with my son Tom, and it worked out o.k. (Tom was a state champ his junior year.), as it did for Daniel Kolodzik. I wouldn't trade those experiences for anything! I got to sit in the coach's corner at the Schott when Tom won his state title and pretend to be a wrestling coach. However, it takes a lot of time, money, and dedication, and it's not for everybody.

Because Tom was willing to "stay home" instead of transferring, we now have a thriving wrestling program at Cardington and have had state placers each of the last four years due to excellent coaching by head Coach Tony Watson.

► Add to the Discussion