Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Has wrestling popularity peaked?
Dan Ransick added to this discussion on July 27, 2010

I have been thinking about this topic a lot lately in my head about how popular the sport of wrestling was and where it stands today.

Has is it peaked in terms of fans interest? I think it has, if you look at the decline in the attendance at the state tournament every year since 2003. Along with that, dual meets and tournaments are not as well as attended excluding Ironman for the most part. Along with that the popularity and importance that a lot of top wrestlers place on Fargo has dramatically shrank. You used to see the top juniors and seniors going out there to wrestle but now that doesn't seem to be the trend in Ohio of late. Many of the top wrestlers just go for the Cadet and then call it quits not wrestling the Junior division these days.

Forum talk is way down since the inception of talk forums but I think that could be due to the cyclical nature of fads.

My point being I think the internet in the late 90's and early 2000's really propelled wrestling but now the interest all around just doesn't seem to be there. Could it be information overload or just people are not as into it as they once were.

I know that people like myself who grow up and start to have lives that interfere we can't attend everything we used to but where is the next generation of people going to come from?

Agree? Disagree? Let me know...

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Discussion Topic: Has wrestling popularity peaked?
Bob Preusse added to this discussion on July 27, 2010

Dan, good question.

attendance at every scholastic sport event with rare exception is down, yes football too. OHSAA state championship games attendance has slid for a decade. -- its a cultural thing, imo, with cable TV and internet, people don't go in person unless an event is special.

And in the Cleveland area people have many choices for entertaintment, too. Thats a factor. In Iowa or Nebraska not many choices.

And yes as u say, forums were a fad. ****This one, unlike others, took the courageous, mature, classy route and made posters use their real names, so hats off to Cosimi & company.

Trend extends to more than just scholastic events. Example, US Mens Open here in April was very poorly attended, was a disgrace to Cleveland area and Ohio wrestling truthfully. I was embarrassed for us. (-- but Cavs games were packed with suckers.)

US Open is a great event, but NOT a special event in the eyes of the fans. For whatever reason, as u say, Ironman is considered special -- so far anyway. s/BobP

Add to the discussion and quote this      

► Add to the Discussion