Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Campbell University - NCAA D I Wrestling - Ohio Wrestling
Joe Boardwine added to this discussion on July 14, 2010

I just wanted to post to thank all the great people I have met in the sport in the state of Ohio over the past 30 years. So many people have helped me... from my first youth coaches at Longwood YMCA like Dave Mariola, Graham Coghill and Tim Rutherford, to those that inspired me in high school like Will O'Odonnel, Larry Marek, Bill Barger and many others (too many to name), to the wrestlers I have coached and all the great families I have met. Thanks so much. Ohio is really a unique state because of its strong interest in wrestling excellence. It's pretty special. That, and the people, make Ohio a really fun place to be a competitor, coach, parent or fan. It's not like that everywhere. I always plan to be a part of the Ohio wrestling community and will always be an Ohio boy at my core.

I am happy to be in a position to be able to offer Ohio wrestlers a great opportunity to compete in NCAA D I.

Campbell University - is an NCAA D I University that qualifies for NCAA's out of the East Regional. It's a pretty unique place where wrestlers can earn a great, private college education - in warm weather - about 1 hour from the beach. I definitely plan to pursue Ohio wrestlers to become a part of this team from the get-go.

Below are a few links about the story and the college that explain more. Between now and when I move down to NC, I can be reached at joseph.boardwine@gmail.com

Thanks, again - it's not good-bye to Ohio for me, just a new role !

Thanks - Coach Joe Boardwine, Campbell University Wrestling

Campbell University Press Release

http://www.gocamels.com/ViewArticle....CLID=204966597

Ohio Wrestling Site Article

http://www.ohiowrestlingsite.com/

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on July 14, 2010

Joe: Just what we need...another outsider poaching our kids!

Seriously, congrats to you. I admired your accomplishments as a wrestler but you're an even better coach. I have no doubt you will strengthen Campbell and look forward to following your program.

HK

Rex Holman added to this discussion on July 14, 2010

Joe-
Congratulations on your position. I love it when colleges have Ohio ties as I am more inclined to follow their programs or know of someone that is in it.
Rex Holman

Joe Boardwine added to this discussion on July 14, 2010

Thanks, Hank --- that's funny! This is such a tough state, there is plenty of committed guys for everyone. Don't be afraid to email me if you think there is someone I should be looking at for the future.

Rex - I'll definitely keep reading your posts and analysis - they really make you think. Who knew such a bruiser was such a deep thinker? I will try to keep all of you posted on what is happening there so that you can follow how the Ohio people from the team are doing. I have already changed some things with the schedule so that Campbell will probably see Ohio State, Kent and Ohio U this coming season. Haven't had a chance to call Cleve State yet, but I will.

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on July 15, 2010

Joe,
Congrats! That's awesome!

I'm sure you'll be seeing one of my wrestlers who will be in your region -- Royal Brettrager, who will be a freshman at 184 pounds for Liberty University.

Mark Palumbo added to this discussion on July 16, 2010

First Lebron now Joe, I hope you got 100 million dollars. just kidding.

Congats. Good luck, I know NC will be a better wrestling state with you in it. Keep on keeping it first class as I know you will.

Joe Boardwine added to this discussion on July 20, 2010

NHSCA National Champion and 3x State Champion Josh Fisher verbals to NCAA D 1, Campbell University

Fisher (Roane County H.S., West Virginia) - is the first verbal for Coach Boardwine and Campbell University from the class of 2011

Josh Fisher was ranked at the end of last season as the No. 12 junior in the country at 125 lbs. by Wrestling USA Magazine. He is a three-time West Virginia state champion, with a sparkling career high school record of 125-1. His lone in-season high school loss, came during a very close match at the hands of prized Ohio State recruit, Johnni DiJulius.

Josh Fisher pinned his way through the West Virginia State Tournament last season, going 4-0, with 4 falls. In addition to dominating in his own state by going undefeated for three seasons, Fisher has had a considerable amount of success nationally. He was the NHSCA High School Sophomore National Champion in 2009 and the National Runner-Up at 119 lbs. at the Flo-Nationals in Ohio in 2010.

Fisher is projected as a 125 / 133 pounder for the Fighting Camels of Campbell University. Under new leadership and an advanced commitment by the University administration to have a highly competitive team – Campbell Wrestling is enjoying its brand new training and competition facilities, in addition to its strong academic program, in an ideal location – just 1 hour from the beautiful beaches of North Carolina.

► Add to the Discussion