Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: H. Stieber vs. N. Dardanes
Ben Golden added to this discussion on July 5, 2010

http://www.flowrestling.org/videos/coverage/view_video/237302-team-oh-jr-duals-gohiocasts/345630-135-lbs-hunter-stieber-oh-vs-nick-dardanes-il

Thanks to Zeb for posting this.

It's worth it's own thread on here for a couple reasons.

1) It's an excellent win for Stieber. Dardanes recently won FILA Jr. Nationals.

2) Stieber is looking big. He's put on some muscle and had no trouble hanging with a guy who has been at this weight for a while. I'm used to seeing him as a wire-frame guy, but it doesn't look like he'll have any trouble filling into 141 in a couple years.

I can't wait to see who/how he wrestles at Ironman.
3)

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on July 6, 2010

Watched this last night. I though Stieber dominated aside from the 2nd period leg-lace. He was the clear aggressor and must have scored 6 or 7 TDs in the two periods.

Stud.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on July 6, 2010

He was reminding me of big brother on those single/double leg TD finishes. A lot more aggressive on his feet.than I've seen him in the past.
And these were quality kids for the most part.

Mike Taylor added to this discussion on July 7, 2010

Watching a number of the other matches by the Ohio kids, they all looked very good. I was specifically interested in the match against IA as I am familiar with almost all of IA's kids. The kids from IA were no slouches. DeVos just won the state title here in IA after winning 2 in MN (he was 3rd as a Freshman here in IA), Moore (who benefited from some questionable refing) just won his 4th state title, Moreno @ 160 won the state title this year w/out much of a challenge all the way through. Corey Clark also won handily all the way through the state tourney. Ballweg won his 3rd title this year as well and will be attending Iowa next year. Oh, and Krumweide just won his 2nd title and is entering his senior year. Again, he benefitted from a questionable call at the end. I love seeing matches like these because it puts things in perspective for me as to the talent level that still exists in Ohio. These kids from IA are really good (many will be appearing on the IA roster in the next few years), but this group from Ohio is just outstanding.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on July 7, 2010

What's scary to me is Dardanes beat Ian Paddock in Cleveland, and Paddock had a decent true freshman year at OSU. Hunter's got 1 more year of HS to go and he already beat Dardanes. Wow!

Brian Morrow added to this discussion on July 8, 2010

These Stieber boys are great though! I am excited to see them at OSU!!!

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on July 9, 2010

jr free duals, a strange setup, ohio has one loss 32--31 to the champ illinois --ohio easily beats iowa who has 2 losses, yet iowa is considered 2nd & ohio 3rd. i don't get it.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on July 11, 2010

Bob: Pool setup is similar to national duals where losing to eventual champ in quarters puts you in position to finish no better than 5th.

I like Hunter at a higher weight. As a lightweight, I wondered how his long shots would work. I couldn't see how he'd get underneath anyone at the collegiate level. As a lower middle wt--likely to end up as high as 157-165 in college--he's at less of a disadvantage.

This win was impressive especially his third period takedown where he kept his legs moving and kept changing angles until he found a clean finish.

For Hunter to succeed at Ohio State, he'll have to become a very good mat wrestler. J. Jaggers will be the perfect coach for Hunter and Cam T as both are lanky like him.

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on July 11, 2010

Hank- I agree completely about Hunter at a higher weight- I like his movement and think he could be a really nasty 141- 149 in the future.

Unless Tessari has grown- I don't think of him as lanky. I love Jaggers as a coach for these two guys, as well.

► Add to the Discussion