Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: New Nordonia High School Head Wrestling Coach
Jeff Cole added to this discussion on June 15, 2010

Let me take the time to congratulate Mr. Audie Atienza, recently named new Head Wrestling Coach at Nordonia High School. A wonderful person with a great character, here's hoping Audie is able to restore the pride and tradition this public high school had previously known the past thirty years. Best of Luck to you sir!

Jeff Cole, Cable 9

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on June 16, 2010

Great to hear that Atienza is getting that gig. He was a year in front of me back in high school, and I thought he was just awesome...great in all phases, and able to hit the big move when he wanted. I think because he didn't have a "stellar" college career, many forgot just how good he really was. To this day, and I've watched the match several times, I have no idea how Billy Kopp beat him for the title in '88. His run to his State Championship in '89 was spectacular, culminating in one of the most one-sided finals match you'll ever see. It'll be nice to see him bring Nordonia back to where there were back in the day.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on June 16, 2010

Mike: I remember Atienza taking on Grant. I'd seen both wrestle prior to the finals and was really looking forward to the match. I thought it would be close. Atienza had other ideas. He put on a great show in the finals.

Not sure what happened to him in college.

Bill Splete added to this discussion on June 16, 2010

Audie you are a humble warrior, greatness is what those around you think of you and we think a lot of you. His teams will be mentally and physically ready to compete. Sucess will be the result of how he trains them, to act as men and fight like dogs. Audie has great ideas about how to build a team and it will be fun to see that progress. Congratulations and all best you earned and deserve this. If you don't know him as a wrestler that is to bad you missed a great one, but you will know about him as a head coach!

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on June 17, 2010

So is this a continuation of a "Maple pipeline" coaching at Nordonia? I know Tom was there a couple of years ago, not sure about last season we did not see Nordonia at any tournaments that I recall.

Has Tom moved on to anywhere else in particular?

► Add to the Discussion