Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Nebraska committs to BigTen... What - and WHO!? - next!!!
Mark Niemann added to this discussion on June 12, 2010

I showed up to work today and my boss said it was confirmed... they are in.

How does this effect the BigTen, if at all? Does this add excitement for the upcoming BigTen season?

Does anybody else think Missouri or Okie State - or even Oklahoma make it into the BigTen as well!?!?!

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Nicholas Sestito added to this discussion on June 12, 2010

The Big 10 is looking for either 14 or 16. We'll stop at 14 if we pull in the big guns, Texas and Notre Dame. We'll probably go to 16 if we only get one of them, or we get both and they force a tag-along, most likely Texas paired with Texas A&M.

Of the candidates:
Texas - From all rumors and reports contrary to ESPN, Texas is split between those who want to go to the Big Ten and those that want to go to the Pac-10. We're only hearing from the more vocal Pac-10 faction. More likely they go to the Pac-10 because they can manipulate and play powergames with the Pac-10 more easily than they can with the Big Ten.

Notre Dame - Insiders say it's more and more likely they'll join the Big Ten, especially if we reel in Texas.

Texas A&M - There's been a lot of talk of their interest in the SEC, which I find puzzling since they've done a lot to improve their academics, which is not as highly regarded in the SEC than other conferences. They're also trying to show some independence from UT and not just some tag-along little brother. Regardless, I think they'll go along with wherever UT goes.

Missouri - Many people now consider them having an outsider's chance of getting into the Big Ten, only coming in if we expand to 16 and we get Texas.

Syracuse - If we can't pull in Texas, we are definitely pursuing Syracuse to try to get that New York market.

Rutgers - Rutgers is an option if we want to get a 16th member. They fit into the general scheme of what we're going for: a leading program in their state, they specifically can help secure the NY market with Syracuse, AAU member, but their football and basketball programs leave something to be desired.

Maryland - Another 16th school option. AAU member, the major public program in their state, access to DC market, football is bleh, basketball is good but they have APR problems.

Most likely to join in my opinion: Notre Dame, Syracuse, Missouri, and Rutgers.

Good thing for us, if these new additions pan out, we'll be bringing in some additional wrestling teams.

Oklahoma and Oklahoma State will not join the Big Ten, they just don't have the academics.

I think Okie State has a TREMENDOUS year coming in 2010-2011. It would be sweet to see them come in for the 2012 season on the heels of that recruiting. If they don't, that's cool.

Oklahoma would be nice just because I think Ross Thatcher is sweet.

Missouri and Rutgers offer a new spice. If a team does not have wrestling, I hope the BigTen mandates that the school get it. Period.

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on June 12, 2010

Burroughs vs. Howe :-)

Ben Golden added to this discussion on June 12, 2010

Quote from Pat Costilow's post:

"Burroughs vs. Howe :-)"

This won't effect next year's schedule, will it? Anyway, Nebraska and Wisconsin were already scheduled to wrestle each other next year before Nebraska joined the Big 10. Matchup of the year!

Alas, you could be right about this occurring in two seasons.

Here's hoping the Mayan calendar was off by a couple of years! ;-)

► Add to the Discussion