Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: OHSAA puts its name on Dual Meet Championship
Pat Costilow added to this discussion on June 11, 2010

I read in the paper today that the OHSAA is sanctioning the State Dual Meet Tournament. Thoughts on this? Will they keep the format and qualifying system the same?

Personally, I think it is good that this happened. It really doesn't seem like it will make that much of a difference, just that it is being recognized.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on June 11, 2010

I don't like it.

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on June 11, 2010

I know you don't, Mike. I read Yappi :-). I see your points, but am pretty indifferent on the whole subject.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on June 12, 2010

like most things, the devil is in the details. Things we don't know yet. My opinion:

...it should be woven into the season like PA does with every team in the state geting in.
...it should NOT count against each teams number of competion POINTS.
...team scores must continue to be kept by OHSAA at the indiv state tourn-- WHY? because everyone wants to know who won it and who did well. In states where they don't like NJ and Illinois, i hear complaints.

But Ohio state duals may not be better supported than they are now by fans, which isn't very well.

Currently fans don't attend state duals in numbers, one reason is most years SPG and st Eds dominate the comp, and that will be true again at the state level this coming season. The sectionals and districts will offer more comp for many teams and may be pretty well attended. In Pennsylvania not alot of fans attend state duals finals, it wont resemble the sold out crowds at the state tourn, not close.

Duals are more strategy, interesting from a team standpoint, one upset or pin can change everything which makes it potentially exciting. I can see why fans enjoy it, but the dual has to be evenly matched with no forfeits or injury defaults messing up the dual outcome in order to be appealing.

One thing about an indiv tourn, the best kids meet the best kids and fans like that alot--- but it doesnt happen often in duals. Coaches move kids around to avoid studs, and u get forfeits too which no one likes. So duals have their strengths & weaknesses, but the Coaches Assn wanted them so we got them. s/BobP

► Add to the Discussion