Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2

Discussion Topic: World Team Trials
Ben Golden added to this discussion on June 12, 2010

Bradley just manhandled Tommy. It looked like Tommy might have overlooked him and not been mentally ready--probably not a good idea against a junior world champ.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Day One Recap Article:
http://www.buckeyewrestling.com/?q=node/37573

Joe Heskett Recaps Day One:
http://www.buckeyewrestling.com/?q=node/37574

Dlagnev loses to Les Sigman.

Brent Metcalf won his spot on the world team in 3 periods after a very controversial clinch call.

Jake Herbert beat Keith Gavin in an exciting 3-match series.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on June 13, 2010

There were some amazing matches, the finals were a slugfest. I think the future looks bright if Escobedo, Metcalf, Varner, etc continue to pursue international careers.

Bergman looks outstanding.

Metcalf has a ton of upside in this style. He attacks, he is rarely out of position, and he has the perfect motor for matches that are back to back to back as they are in Olympic competition.

I think I mentioned this last year, but I want to say it again. If you lose the ball draw after the first period I think you should automatically get the leg after a scoreless second. I think it is very tough (I stop short of saying 'unfair') for someone like Escobedo to wrestle two periods in the third match and lose the ball pull after each. Essentially, it makes his odds of winning, well, low.

In the finals the red ball was drawn NINE consecutive times. NINE. To the point that the ref dumped out the balls to confirm that there was indeed a blue ball. If I'm not mistaken this favored the US Open Champion in every class I watched be contested. (Blanc, Herbert, and Frayer). If I were a conspiracy theorist, I think I would have something there!

Oh, and I would disagree with those who are upset that Metcalf won. While the final call was terrible, Metcalf out-offensed Frayer and was a takedown machine. Frayer's points came from freestyle-savvy exposures, which I think Metcalf will learn to avoid with more training in this style.

Anyway, the compeition was fierce. Hopefully those who go to Moscow will attack.

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on June 13, 2010

Nine in a row? If I have this right, that is a 0.1953125% probability, or 1/512.

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on June 13, 2010

Ethan, I have seen a lot of the "out savvying" by veterans over less experience but more talented youngsters the last couple weeks in these big freestyle tourneys. Watch Stieber-Simmons from the Open, and Stieber creates the scoring opportunities and is in better position the whole match, but Simmons scores from seemingly nowhere. Same thing with Howe-Paulson.

FWIW, these are the guys I see as our future in FS

121- Stieber-although there is a lot of exciting youth at this weight for the US.
132- ? Reece/Graff
145- Metcalf
163- Howe
184- Herbert, or if we are looking younger than that, Perry/Wright
211- Varner
264- Bradley

Antony Sharples added to this discussion on June 13, 2010

Why does everyone still insist that Varner is the future of USA wrestling? J.D. has dominated him twice in a row, and is only a year older. He is finally healthy and is in a great training situation. I know Varner can now focus on freestyle with Cael, but J.D. has been focusing on this for the last two years. He has medaled in every international event this year (which has been alot), and is BY FAR the U.S.'s best chance at Gold. I am predicting it now, in a insane weight class at worlds, he will medal.

Brian Morrow added to this discussion on June 14, 2010

I Think Stieber is the future at his weight. I think people are forgetting he has not evn stepped on the NCAA mat yet. He is right there with kids that are 4 time all americans already. I am excited for his future...

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on June 14, 2010

Anthony - I agree, I think people are just looking at recent college grads when they say 'future.' Bergman is the clear number 1 at that weight now and by the looks of it can be a real player on the world scene.

I don't think any disrepect to J.D. is intended.

Pat - I agree with you about youth/experience and positioning. Freestyle is different than folk, and when you can dedicate training to FR is certainly helps.

Doug Brandt added to this discussion on June 14, 2010

Quote from Pat Costilow's post:

"Nine in a row? If I have this right, that is a 0.1953125% probability, or 1/512."

Nine RED balls in a row would be 1/512. The SAME ball occuring 9 times in a row is 1/256.

Still ridiculous odds- and a ridiculous way of determining who wins or loses.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on June 14, 2010

It''s ridiculous to begin with, then add the factor of the ref allowing what looked like a "false start" in the Metcalf/Frayer match! What a way to decide a match...

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on June 16, 2010

I think I was forgetting that Bergman is only two years older than Varner. He seems older than that to me. Not a shot at Bergman, just overlooked the fact he is only 25 or 26.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on June 16, 2010

In terms of the "future," and by that I mean at the Olympics in 2012, this is my guess:

55: Escobedo,
Stieber has a real chance, but he still has a lot of improving to do before he'll be consistently beating these top guys. As Pat has said, he already does a great job of putting himself into scoring positions. The problem is, he's not great at finishing from these positions, and he gets taken down plenty as well. Anyway, Escobedo's been one of the very best lightweights of the last decade and he's now starting to focus on freestyle. He's my bet until Stieber proves otherwise.

60: Bunch
It looked like Bunch had turned the corner on their rivalry as he won last year's WTT and dominated at the US Open this year, but then Zadick came back and beat him at this year's WTT. Even so, every year their rivalry continues favors Bunch a little more; Mike Zadick isn't getting any younger (I think he's over 30 now). Guys like Coleman Scott and Reece Humphrey have a lot of improving to do before they are beating Bunch and Zadick.

66: Metcalf
I would have said Caldwell, because his freestyle debut last year was fantastic. However, a knee injury kept him from competing collegiately this year, and a recent shoulder injury kept him out of the U.S. Open and WTT. I'll throw Jaggers' name out there, too, but he doesn't have any notable wins yet.

74: Howe
The guy is incredibly hard to score on, and by this time he will be even better. Maybe someone else will emerge that can challenge him (or perhaps Askren and/or Schlatter get back to training freestyle), but there's one on this year's landscape that I think will beat him in two years.

84: Herbert
A world silver medalist right out of college is a good thing to have on your side. He showed a lot of heart in the he won the WTT. He lost his first match of the best-of-three series, but clawed and toothed his way to victory in the next two. If you feel like it, you should watch the second match. Herbert was on the ropes but pulled it out: http://www.flowrestling.org/videos/coverage/view_video/237192-2010-us-world-team-trials/341044-84-kg-fs-finals-2-of-3-jake-herbert-vs-keith-gavin

96: Bergman
But the truth is Varner will be much better at freestyle a year from now than he is now. I expect that they will have some fierce battles once Varner has a year of full-time freestyling under his belt. However, if J.D. stays healthy (a big if), I like his chances.

120: ???
I really have no clue. I think Sigman, Dlagnev, and Rowlands (throw Mocco in there, too, if he comes back) all have a good shot at winning it. I think Sigman might be in Dlagnev's head a little bit now. Dom Bradley, your 2009 Jr. World Champion, will also continue to develop and should challenge. The depth we have at this weight is incredible.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on June 16, 2010

Enjoying the comments...

Just want to say I've always liked Angel Escobedo. He's a marvelous, athletic competitor with the type of physical skill it takes to be a dominant lower wt.

USA has some nice talent currently training. Has Dustin Schlatter already become an afterthought? Is he through? It was just one year ago that he was our #1 guy.

About Tom Rowlands...We're used to seeing him at the top of his game. Clearly he has not yet returned to that level. Tom suffered a very difficult defeat at the Olympic Trials. He was the better wrestler and most of us knew it. He stood a good chance to medal. But Mocco's staff had developed a game plan specifically to beat Tommy and it worked. It's a shame because it's the best Mocco can do while Tom has more upside. Still, Tom can't just flip on a switch and pass the many fine competitors at this weight. It takes a huge emotional commitment. If Tom has that commitment (and he's healthy), I believe he'll represent the USA in 2012. That's easier said than done.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on June 16, 2010

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"
Just want to say I've always liked Angel Escobedo. He's a marvelous, athletic competitor with the type of physical skill it takes to be a dominant lower wt.

USA has some nice talent currently training. Has Dustin Schlatter already become an afterthought? Is he through? It was just one year ago that he was our #1 guy.
"

I've always like Escobedo as well. He's got a great mix of offense and defense and a good motor.

About Schlatter, I don't think anyone doubts that he would be right there in the mix again if he was healthy, but from what I understand he totally blew out his knee, and that's coming after a collegiate career plagued with injuries. If he continues wrestling, I would imagine we wouldn't be seeing him before the US Open next year.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2