Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Discussion Topic: Musings & Rumblings
Bob Preusse added to this discussion on June 15, 2010

Bill, imo, keep the Big Ten smaller and more exclusive and "regionally recognizable". In fact, to address a subject Rex and i have in common-- marketing--- i am gonna coin a marketing phrase, "regionally recognizable" (or "regionally coherent").

and keep the brand name Big Ten, its like Coca Cola, a brand name.

and Rex, btw heres why TRADITION means alot, if not for tradition posting this would mean nothing, but with tradition it means alot:

Days since Michigan’s last victory over Ohio State in football: 2397

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on July 4, 2010

from todays Columbus Dispatch, sounds like Big Ten is in good hands with commissioner Jim Delany, compared to other conferences.

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/sports/stories/2010/07/04/big-ten-in-good-hands.html?sid=101

Ben Golden added to this discussion on July 28, 2010

Thought I would go into a little more detail on a couple points Bob brought up in the Morgan McIntosh thread.

IF DESTIN MCCAULEY GOES TO OHIO STATE:

It would be huge. It would give the Buckeyes the #1 recruiting class in the country for next year, and I say that knowing it will be true even though not many guys have committed to other schools. McCauley, Garcia, H. Stieber, Tessari, and Dijulius form a squad of four top-ten guys--five top-25 guys. That would be right up there with Iowa's squad from this year.

It would also be huge for the future of the Ohio RTC. Consider this: Logan Stieber, Derek Garcia, Destin McCauley and Morgan McIntosh are four of the top five freestylers in the country who have yet to enroll in college (I don't have a list of my own rankings, but they seem like 4/top 5 off the top of my head). To get three of them on one team would be amazing. They are guys who seek out the best competition they can find, and that's a huge indicator.

I remember reading a Cael Sanderson interview once where he said that he knew he wanted to coach after the 04 Olympics, and that he knew he wanted to win a gold medal so he could recruit guys that wanted to win gold medals. What we are seeing is Ohio State start to land a lot of guys who have those high post-collegiate aspirations. I can't think of a better sign that your program is growing in the right direction.

My only concern about the possible signing of McCauley is his weight projection. He is at 152 right now, and I think that's up from where he was in the ceiling. I've talked to a guy who used to wrestle for AV and he sees McCauley as a 165/174 guy. 174 seems a bit high to me, and the guy I talked to could be a little off, but it seems to me like OSU just nabbed two guys who project to 165/174 in Garcia and Demas. Obviously competition in the room is a great thing, but that sounds like it's probably a lot of money in one area when there is probably more of a need in the upperweights. Maybe they'd all slide into the lineup nicely though. Either way, I can think of a lot worse problems to have.

Moving on...

WHO REPLACES JOE HESKETT?

I already named these potential candidates in the other thread, but it didn't generate any discussion, so I'll jam it down your throats another time and add a little more information this time around.

I offer these candidates, all of whom are uppermiddleweights.

*****The Ideal Candidates Who Are Untouchable:
---Donnie Pritzlaff---
The former 2x NCAA Champ has established himself as one of the top assistant coaches in the sport. He's recently helped train Andrew Howe into the beast that he is. 99% would not come here because he is already the Associate Head Coach at Wisconsin, his Alma Mater.

---Mark Parry ---
Man, it would be awesome to have Perry. The guy is flat-out competitive. It's one thing to say "I don't care if Johny Hendricks beats me 150 times in a row, I'm going out there to win." It's another thing entirely to go out on the mat and actually beat him in the NCAA finals. In his brief tenure as an assistant coach, he has coached true frosh Quentin Wright to AA honors and led Cal Poly to an excellent year last year. 95% chance he wouldn't come here because he's just been elevated to Co-Head Coach at Cal Poly and is doing an excellent job showing how he can manage a program. I wouldn't think he would leave for anything but a head coaching job at an established power.

---Joe Heskett---
Don't really need to say much here. He was one of the top assistants out here, but he just left and obviously wouldn't turn right around and come back.

*****Good Possibilities Who Probably Wouldn't Be Interested:
---Ben Askren---
Who wouldn't want Askren in their room? The guy has a unique skillset that he perfected in a way that few have. He knows how to wrestle and beat guys of all styles and is great on top. He also loves winning and hates losing. If he weren't in MMA, I think he would probably give a job at OSU serious consideration. Sadly, the Columbus MMA scene can't really compete with what he has down at ASU.

---Steve Luke---
He's already in Columbus. He is excellent in all positions, is an Ohio guy and has had an incredible career at every level. The only thing is, he's in pharmacy school, so he probably doesn't have a lot of time for college coaching.

*****Legitimate Possibilites (at least as far as I can tell):
---Jake Herbert---
He was an absolute animal on the mat starting his freshman year. I think he only had four losses in college, with three of those coming at NCAAs. He's good from all positions and he's a goer. A guy this high-profile would be great for recruiting.

---Andy Hrovat---
A true mat rat who's been competing at the senior level for years now. He's made the national team many times and represented the US in the Olympics. It would be great to have a guy with ties to St. Edward on the coaching staff.

---Max Askren---
I realize he just graduated, but I still think he'd be a good pick. He was the top-ranked 197 in the country for most of his freshman year, and was a true contender for an NCAA title every year until he finally won it at 184 this year. He's great on the mat and has beaten many of the very best. He's maybe a little heavier than the ideal.

---Jared Frayer---
After finishing in second place at the WTT the last three or four years, Frayer is retiring from competition. He knows how to pull out a lot of big moves, and I think that's a good thing to be able to teach. Probably a little lighter than I'd like, though.

*****The Front Runner:
---Mark Niemann---
He submitted his resume' just under a week ago. He's seen the inside of the Ohio State Wrestling room. He's actually been on the mats before, too. He went to a BigTen dual a few times. He prepped at Groveport Madison, where he was a 4x sectional qualifier. As a coach, has mentored the Madison Cruisers to producing the most sectional qualifiers of any program in the state.

Born in December of 1977 to Rich and Geraldine... one brother... Shook Lee Kemp's hand.

Lists his greatest thrill so far in wrestling as communicating with Ben Golden on an online forum.

That about sums up my thoughts. I'd love to hear any ideas anyone else has.

Last edited by Ben Golden on July 28, 2010; edited 4 times in total

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on July 28, 2010

Ben: You listed legitimate possiblilities... I'll list an unlikely;

Mark Niemann: He submitted his resume' just under a week ago. He's seen the inside of the Ohio State Wrestling room. He's actually been on the mats before, too. He went to a BigTen dual a few times. He prepped at Groveport Madison, where he was a 4x sectional qualifier.

Born in December of 1977 to Rich and Geraldine... one brother... Shook Lee Kemp's hand.

Lists his greatest thrill so far in wrestling as communicating with Ben Golden on an online forum.

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"Ben: You listed legitimate possiblilities... I'll list an unlikely;

Mark Niemann: He submitted his resume' just under a week ago. He's seen the inside of the Ohio State Wrestling room. He's actually been on the mats before, too. He went to a BigTen dual a few times. He prepped at Groveport Madison, where he was a 4x sectional qualifier.

Lists his greatest thrill so far in wrestling as communicating with Ben Golden on an online forum."

Sounds like you've already got your foot in the door and have a very good shot. I'll put you at the top of the list.

Now you're talking! :-)

Someone else worth mentioning is Dustin Schlatter. I don't know how coaching would mesh with his freestyle training plans, though.

Brad Proudfoot added to this discussion on July 28, 2010

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"Ben: You listed legitimate possiblilities... I'll list an unlikely;

Lists his greatest thrill so far in wrestling as communicating with Ben Golden on an online forum."

If I'm not mistaken, distant cousin to Chuck Norris should also be on your resume. ;)

Brad: I hesitate to mention that out of fear of a roundhouse kick. You do know that Chuck can slam a revolving door, right!?

Brad Proudfoot added to this discussion on July 28, 2010

Did you know that when Chuck Norris gets bitten by a Zombie, he doesn't turn into a Zombie. The Zombie turns into Chuck Norris. ;)

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on July 28, 2010

Good list. I had thought about whether Schlatter would go into coaching. As far as how it relates to his freestyle career, the OTC has contenders across the board but seems to be lacking top level freestyle competitor at 163 and 185. Schlatter or Herbert could coach and fill one of these weights at the OTC.

Quote from Scott Nicola's post:

"Good list. I had thought about whether Schlatter would go into coaching. As far as how it relates to his freestyle career, the OTC has contenders across the board but seems to be lacking top level freestyle competitor at 163 and 185. Schlatter or Herbert could coach and fill one of these weights at the OTC."

My thoughts exactly. The only question is whether or not they would be willing to split their time between coaching and training.

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on July 28, 2010

Quote from Ben Golden's post:

"

"Good list. I had thought about whether Schlatter would go into coaching. As far as how it relates to his freestyle career, the OTC has contenders across the board but seems to be lacking top level freestyle competitor at 163 and 185. Schlatter or Herbert could coach and fill one of these weights at the OTC."

My thoughts exactly. The only question is whether or not they would be willing to split their time between coaching and training."

Maybe wrestling is different, but a word of caution a great athlete in many other sports does not guarantee a great or ever good coach.

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on July 28, 2010

Quote from Gary Sommers's post:

"

Quote from Ben Golden's post:

"

My thoughts exactly. The only question is whether or not they would be willing to split their time between coaching and training."

Maybe wrestling is different, but a word of caution a great athlete in many other sports does not guarantee a great or ever good coach."

This is true, but Herbert is obviously a good communicator and Dustin an unbelievable technician. Both certainly have some qualities that make for good coaches. Worst case scenario, they are great workout partners who up the level of the room.

Well put, Scott. Besides, this isn't a head coach we're talking about, it's an assistant. Either one of those guys would be a great presence for recruiting as well.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next