Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Discussion Topic: Musings & Rumblings
Bob Preusse added to this discussion on June 3, 2010

... today the nations # 1 ranked junior QB Braxton Miller of Huber Heights verballed to Ohio St. (did Tressel draw inspiration from Ryan signing Logan Stieber?)

...13 men in NCAA history have been 4 x finalists, #2 & 3 were Ohioans, Lee Kemp & Pat Milkovich. Several other Ohioans very close, Alan Fried and Randleman only wr 3 seasons, Heskett was 3-2-2-1. Tommy Rowlands was 2-1-6-1 with his 6th being an injury default in the semis.

...those who missed J.D. Begman winning the US Mens Freestyle Open, u missed amazing perfomance by Oak Harbor native, he threw reputedly strong-as-ox Varner all over & off the mat.

...if Nebraska and/or Missouri join the Big Ten, does the Big 12 aka the Big FIVE (which could become the Big 3) have to qualify for the NCAA tourn thru the Western regional???

...only 7 high school coaches have been inducted as Distinguished Members in the National Wr Hall of Fame, Mike Milkovich being one of them. Who will be the next ?? Russ Cozart of Brandon Florida maybe??

...IRONMAN Legacy Award winner will be (finally) BILL BARGER. Its been an esteemed list so far: Jeff Buxton, Greg Urbas, Gene Gibbons, Mike Milkovich, Jeff Jordan, Harry Lester.

any other good rumblings post here. s/BobP

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Adelman added to this discussion on June 3, 2010

Great food for thought Bob.

Nicholas Sestito added to this discussion on June 3, 2010

I believe this is the match you're talking about Bob. He really dominates Varner with that underhook, just treats him like a ragdoll.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBjAI8caxkU

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on June 4, 2010

Quote from Nicholas Sestito's post:

"I believe this is the match you're talking about Bob. He really dominates Varner with that underhook, just treats him like a ragdoll.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBjAI8caxkU"

I certainly could be wrong, but for various reasons I would be surprised if Tressel knows who Stieber is.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on June 4, 2010

"I certainly could be wrong, but for various reasons I would be surprised if Tressel knows who Stieber is."

my comment was strictly tongue in cheek-- but fact is Tressel and Tom Ryan are pretty good friends. Tressel wrestled some at Berea hs i think, he tried it at least.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on June 4, 2010

handwriting on the wall ?

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/sports/stories/2010/06/04/e-mails-hint-eyes-are-upon-texas.html?sid=101

Nicholas Sestito added to this discussion on June 4, 2010

It does make me curious what the expansion will do for non-wrestling schools that would join the Big Ten. Will they pony up and decide to add teams? Estimates report that each of the Big Ten schools received 20+ million dollars this past year because of the Big Ten Network. Could the additional money they receive because of the Network prompt the schools to add additional teams?

My gut says no, especially if it's a school like Texas that already has a load of money to start a wrestling team, they just haven't. Given, I think wrestling in Texas is nowhere near as established as it is in the states that are home to the Big Ten. Maybe someone more informed on the topic can chime in.

Mike Taylor added to this discussion on June 5, 2010

If Texas were to join the Big Ten (and that is a BIG IF), there is a coach living nearby that could possibly step right in and provide an immediate impact. First, Texas would have no problem getting quality wrestlers from all over the nation.
The coach I'm refering to is none other than Pat Smith who is living and coaching in Arkansas, I believe.
The big unanswered question that remains is would Texas feel compelled to add wrestling should they join a big wrestling conference? I don't know that they would since they are already part of a big wrestling conference as it is. It would be refreshing to see a major university ADD wrestling for a change.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on June 5, 2010

J.D. looks awesome; the edge rule benefits him because he has the quality of being a bull but with complementing athleticism and kinesthetic awareness.
Per this match, it looks like the only way Varner can beat J.D. is winning the clinch.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on June 5, 2010

Rex, yes in freestyle J.D. underhooks and drives opponent wherever he wants he has such great strength & leverage-- plus J.D. was known even in college for his leg-trip once he was near the out of bounds.

Re TEXAS, theres a famous guy closer than Pat Smith in Arkansas-- Olympic gold medalist KENNY MONDAY runs his own club in Dallas, has for many years, and he assists at Bishop Lynch. One of the hilites of the IRONMAN is having a beer with him & the other BL coaches at the hotel. BL comes every year, they are tough too.

more re TEXAS, its a wrestling sleeping GIANT in the high school ranks, why? Scoop: adjacent Oklahoma doesnt pay teachers near as well as Texas does, i have always thought eventually some of Oklahoma's better coaches would migrate to Texas high schools. Texas has only had an official state tourn for about 7 years, so the future looks bright there i think, the states population grows every month too.

if they join Big Ten-- and its a huge IF, yes-- i think U of Texas would start a wrestling program, why wouldnt they? would they want to be the only school without one in college wrestlings top conference?? The # 1 sports revenue college in America ahead of # 2 Ohio St, we know Texas can afford it, so why wouldnt they? s/BobP

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on June 5, 2010

Really nice effort by J.D.. He matches up well with Varner because they're similar in many regards. Both strong and savvy strategists that use position to get to their points. After the first period, J.D. fell into a style that was perfect for the challenges Varner presented.

I wonder if J.D. was doing his Arnold imitation during the match. "You will lose Jake--I am the terminator of Varner."

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on June 8, 2010

Money makes decisions and the University of Texas would make a ton of money if it would join the Big Ten, thus they would add a wrestling program. With that said, I highly doubt that Texas will join the Big Ten.

I think adding Nebraska and Missouri are much more likely than Texas. While I think that makes it very exciting on the wrestling and football scenes, it also makes it that much tougher to win.

I know for a fact that Jim Tressel knows who Logan Stieber is.

I really like watching Bergman wrestle... but there's not too many Buckeyes I haven't liked watching. On one hand, Varner probably hates Ohio. On the other hand, he does have two Division 1 national championships and great freestyle credentials, so I wouldn't dismiss him at all.

To be a four-time finalist at anything is an awesome accomplishment considering how tough a career can be. To be a four-time finalist at the Division 1 National Tournament... well, that's the stuff of legends.

Congrats to Bill Barger on the Ironman legacy award.

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on June 8, 2010

Odds are that Texas and the big football powers head to the Pac-10 they fit in better over there culturally. I do think that the Big 10 ends up getting Nebraksa, Missouri and some other schools if the huge shift happens which would be huge for wrestling as both are Top 15 teams.

Nicholas Sestito added to this discussion on June 8, 2010

I think Texas would be making a mistake by going over to the Pac-10, I really just don't see the benefit of choosing them over the Big Ten.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on June 9, 2010

press release:
The NCAA just released its annual report card on academics, known as Academic Progress Rate (APR), and the news is all good for Ohio State.

The Buckeyes' flagship sports, football and men's basketball, posted their highest scores in the six-year history of APR.

Football posted a 975, which was better than last year's 968 and marked the fifth straight year of improvement from a first-year low of 892 in 2005. That was the second-best score in the Big Ten, BEHIND ONLY Northwestern at 986.

Basketball improved to 929, a jump of 18 points from last year. The big news there is OSU avoids a reduction of scholarships that can be assessed if the score is lower than 925.

Last year, the Buckeyes were docked two scholarships, mostly because former players Greg Oden and Kosta Koufos both withdrew from school in the middle of an academic quarter to enter the NBA draft.

This past year, Byron Mullens left school early for the NBA, as well, but he left at the end of a quarter.

OSU's basketball score placed it ninth in the Big Ten, ahead of only Purdue (918) and Indiana (878).

All other OSU sports were higher than men's basketball. Men's and women's tennis both posted perfect scores of 1,000. Other teams of interest include women's basketball (993), softball (991), baseball (981) and men's hockey (980.)

The NCAA has not yet released its list of teams that were penalized for low scores.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next