Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Discussion Topic: Musings & Rumblings
Bob Preusse added to this discussion on June 9, 2010

on friday Nebraska will announce that they would welcome an offer to enter Big Ten. Who else eventually is in, i don't know, but Nebraska seems like a sure thing.

Notre Dame gets all their TV money to themselves right now ---- if joined Big Ten would have to split it evenly with other Big Ten teams like all TV money is split evenly in Big Ten -- i don't think ND will join Big Ten for that reason. s/BobP

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on June 9, 2010

Texas will only be able to go the Pac-10 if the other Texas schools can go i.e. Tech and A&M. Big 10 has done a great thing by getting Nebraska for football and I love it for wrestling.

Bob - I agree with you that Notre Dame will always be independent for the TV money from NBC.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on June 9, 2010

I remember when Notre Dame had a varsity wrestling team. In fact John Carroll wrestled them. I'm talking back in the early '70's. They eventually dropped the program.

Nicholas Sestito added to this discussion on June 9, 2010

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"on friday Nebraska will announce that they would welcome an offer to enter Big Ten. Who else eventually is in, I don't know, but Nebraska seems like a sure thing.

Notre Dame gets all their TV money to themselves right now ---- if joined Big Ten would have to split it evenly with other Big Ten teams like all TV money is split evenly in Big Ten -- I don't think ND will join Big Ten for that reason. s/BobP"

Notre Dame might get all their own money, but from the figures that people keep presenting on what the Big Ten made, each individual Big Ten team makes more than Notre Dame does with its current contract. Notre Dame earned around 9 million a year, each Big Ten school received something like 20+ million.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on June 9, 2010

yeh thats crazy isn't it, a wealthy athletic-minded northern major college, Notre Dame, with no wrestiing program, i cant understand it.

i don't know how much Notre Dame contract with NBC is, but in football they are on every week in prime afternoon time on NBC, i would think they make alot of money. It NBC after all, not the Big Ten network or ESPNU or some lesser network. And its 3:30 eastern time, not noon.

but one thing hurting Notre Dame, their teams not very good in recent years, but when they get back to where they are very good again and go to major bowl games then the money will roll in. Whereas Ohio st had to split Rose Bowl revenue with 10 other teams, Notre Dame will keep it all whatever bowl game they go to.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on June 9, 2010

"
but one thing hurting Notre Dame, their teams not very good in recent years, but when they get back to where they are very good again and go to major bowl games then the money will roll in. Whereas Ohio st had to split Rose Bowl revenue with 10 other teams, Notre Dame will keep it all whatever bowl game they go to."

I could be wrong about this, but I think a few years ago they changed the rule so Notre Dame doesn't get as much money from BCS bowl appearances. Typically a school (say Ohio State) gets something like $14M for their conference. Notre Dame used to get all that money for themselves, but I think they switched it so they only get $4-6M . Someone else might be able to clear this up.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on June 10, 2010

Mizzou would also make a nice addition to Big Ten. Even more a natural for the conference than Nebraska. It would be great to have those two wrestling programs in the conference.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on June 10, 2010

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Mizzou would also make a nice addition to Big Ten. Even more a natural for the conference than Nebraska. It would be great to have those two wrestling programs in the conference."

You would think the Big 10 would prefer Mizzou since both Kansas City and St. Louis are in Missouri.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on June 10, 2010

"Mizzou would also make a nice addition to Big Ten. Even more a natural for the conference than Nebraska. It would be great to have those two wrestling programs in the conference."
----------------------------------

for wrestling Missou would be fine, but otherwise they don't add much to Big Ten, fairly good football teams, mediocre basketball-- why add teams if they don't bring big pluses ??? Nebraska wil be top 5 this season in football, its an all time top 10 football program.

imo they gonna ruin a good thing, college football & sports is about TRADITION and regional pride and rivalries-- 16 team super conferences will be a mistake, imo. Whats Okla, Texas, Colorado got in common with PAC 10 West coast schools ? Nothing. -----And look at the distance non-revenue sports will have to travel to compete !!

my editor Ron Good tells me the local sports show in Oklahoma City played taps today.

Reminds me of "TOO BIG TO FAIL" corporations. Citibank was gonna be this huge success with how huge they became thru mergers---- Citi well down from over $ 50 is now at $ 3 or 4 a share, they would be bankrupt if taxpayers had not bailed them out a year and a half ago. Goes for a bunch of these giant Wall st firms and banks. Bigger aint better in many cases. s/BobP

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on June 10, 2010

""Mizzou would also make a nice addition to Big Ten. Even more a natural for the conference than Nebraska. It would be great to have those two wrestling programs in the conference."
----------------------------------

for wrestling Missou would be fine, but otherwise they don't add much to Big Ten, fairly good football teams, mediocre basketball-- why add teams if they don't bring big pluses ??? Nebraska wil be top 5 this season in football, its an all time top 10 football program.

imo they gonna ruin a good thing, college football & sports is about TRADITION and regional pride and rivalries-- 16 team super conferences will be a mistake, imo. Whats Okla, Texas, Colorado got in common with PAC 10 West coast schools ? Nothing. -----And look at the distance non-revenue sports will have to travel to compete !!

my editor Ron Good tells me the local sports show in Oklahoma City played taps today.

Reminds me of "TOO BIG TO FAIL" corporations. Citibank was gonna be this huge success with how huge they became thru mergers---- Citi well down from over $ 50 is now at $ 3 or 4 a share, they would be bankrupt if taxpayers had not bailed them out a year and a half ago. Goes for a bunch of these giant Wall st firms and banks. Bigger aint better in many cases. s/BobP"

I think Mizzou brings more to the table then Nebraska does in other sports. They consistently have a better basketball team and in recent years have had a better football team and since those are the 2 sports that bring in the most revenue I would give the edge to Mizzou. The only thing Nebraska has over Mizzou is the football tradition.

"The only thing Nebraska has over Mizzou is the football tradition."
--------------------------------

and that "only thing" is huge---- ESPN just flashed it, No 4 All time in football wins is Nebraska, # 5 is Ohio st. (Penn St # 10, in the interest of full disclosure Michigan # 1.)

Missouri doesnt add anything special athletically. Maybe academics? they have great school of journalism.

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on June 10, 2010

""The only thing Nebraska has over Mizzou is the football tradition."
--------------------------------

and that "only thing" is huge---- ESPN just flashed it, No 4 All time in football wins is Nebraska, # 5 is Ohio st. (Penn St # 10, in the interest of full disclosure Michigan # 1.)

Missouri doesnt add anything special athletically. Maybe academics? they have great school of journalism."

C'mon Bob, smile when you type who is #1. :)

well, i'm a journalist, i try to report the facts & the truth, Michigan is all time # 1 in football wins. Notre Dame 2. I give credit where due.

but if u go back to let's say 1970, i'm guessing Nebraska might be # 1 in wins. S Calif & Oklahoma right there too in the past 40 years. NEB, thats a big catch for the Big Ten. And i understand their fans are terrific & fair, have been known to applaud the opponent. Probably hard working farmers & ranchers alot of them i'm sure. A 85,000 seat football stadium thats always full. I welcome NEB.

but now Michigan gonna have to step it up, Big Ten football not geting any easier. s/BobP

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on June 10, 2010

Mizzou expands the BTN footprint much more than Nebraska. You tap into the STL and KC markets as being "in the zone" markets, which means higher cable fees for the BTN -- which means more $$$$$$$$.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on June 11, 2010

JLowe,
some of you guys are not talking sports, not talking football, not talking tradition, not talking rivalries, not talking WHAT MADE THIS GAME what it is today-- instead you are talking "markets", well too much of this "corporate" type thinking will take college football down.

reminds me of what happened in corporate America begining maybe 30 years ago, the accountants & financial guys took over-- aka the BEANCOUNTERS -- look at what you got now. Detroit forgot how to make a car- if you call a business or utility about your account you go thru a dizzying array of voice messages & are put on hold before, and if, you ever speak to a human being.

JL, you're a young guy so u don't remember that theres ever been anything else, but i do. I remember when there was customer service from human beings, when Detroit was run by guys who knew how to make a car-- ever get behind the wheel of a "67 Camaro or GTO? The problem with youth-- and i was no different, i'm Not pretending i was -- youth has NO historical perspective.

Nebraska (and Notre Dame) are the prizes the Big Ten wants. WHY? How many games has NEB been on national TV over the past 40 years ? Countless incl many showdowns with Oklahoma which was the best rivalry in college football in the 80s, both were in many Orange Bowls for the national title.

But you wouldnt recall that, JL. I use to take a day off work to watch Nebraska vs Oklahoma on the Friday after Thanskgiving, alot of fans did. ---- how many of these mega football games has Missouri been in ??? next to NONE. And NEB is on the way back to glory, NEB almost beat Texas in Big 12 title game last season and will be very good next season.

Markets, phoooeey -- when Vince Lombardi was at the helm of the GREEN BAY PACKERS markets and TV and Howard Cosell and national coverage FOUND ITS WAY TO Green Bay. If you got the right stuff, they will come.

"Build it and they will come". If the Big Ten doesnt lose sight of this, they will prevail. If the Beancounters take over, its downhill. s/BobP

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next