Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: CSU Recruiting Class
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on May 20, 2010

http://www.csuvikings.com/sports/m-wrestl/spec-rel/051210aab.html

I read the article off their website. This recruiting class is a big step up over a year ago (or so it appears to me). I also noticed that their 125 from two years ago is no longer listed on their roster (was his name Keller?). That's a shame. Wonder what happened?

I know CSU wrestling is not a popular topic. But the fact remains that when they're pretty good, the Vikings are arguably the second most popular program in Ohio. They can draw plenty of fans and have proven so repeatedly in the past.

I hope the new AD gives them some assistance. The last one talked a good game but the programs current state is deplorable.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on May 20, 2010

Hank,
125 Keller quit, he left-- i think i saw his name on a roster out west somewhere, he was from Kansas btw.

last night i caught the new CSU (interim) AD John Parry on Bruce Drennan sports show on cable. Parry was AD at Butler which doesnt have wrestling, btw. Parry an older guy-- a Brown and Princeton graduate for those on here who keep track of pedigree-- he has experience, he well may end up the permanent AD.

i hear he does Not want to cut any sports, but he is exploring football.

when i visted CSU last winter at coach Ben Stehura's invitation, i reported on here that i came away with a better impression of CSU than the average person has. They are doing some good improvements on that campus, in terms of buldings & academics. (***i just read CSU law school has a 90 % pass the Bar on their first attempt.***)

Is coach Stehura the right guy? Time will tell, but i could observe he is dedicated, intelligent, and has a plan to succeed. s/BobP

David Keller added to this discussion on May 20, 2010

My boys did quit. They both attended CSU and by the way CSU is a great college. Many opportunities for kids wanting to continue their education. Both my boys were frustrated with the program and the direction. They both hate to lose. They found too many double standards. As far as I'm concerned, the coaches at CSU did both of my boys a favor. John, is now attending Wichita State, continuing his education and Jordan has transferred to the University of Oklahoma, continuing with both his education and love of wrestling. Another positive, is that he is closer to home.
As far as the coaches, time will tell, and I wish them the best of luck!

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on May 21, 2010

Mr. Keller: From an outsider's vantage point, it just seemed that your sons arrived at the worst possible time. Jordan was a true blue chip recruit and he was thrust into a program that had little talent (Rashard Goff was the one exception). Then the first recruiting class of the new staff was decidedly poor. It's tough to ask a young wrestler to carry a D1 program.

That's all I can comment on. I wish your sons well. I hope CSU has hit bottom and will begin to improve.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on May 21, 2010

It takes a village with the right people and right trustees to develop a champion.

Mr. Keller,

Thank you for taking the time to answer questions regarding your sons whereabouts and doing so in an objective and positive way. May he find the situation that benefits his doings. It can be truly frustrating for a young man in an environment that may be lacking in some areas.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on May 21, 2010

"It takes a village -- -- --."

Rex, u owe a royalty fee to Hillary Clinton.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on May 21, 2010

Bob-

Ok. It seems like wrestling is a village, or a township while football and basketball are cities and states.

As corny as the speech and analogy might have been, ( I did not hear it) there is a lot of truth to the anaolgy. There are vital cogs to making things work and if a cog is dysfunctional or absent, then the machine does not quite work right.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on May 21, 2010

actually i think Hillary Clinton wrote a book titled, "It Takes a Village"--- nothing corny about her, she's an asskicker, ask Bill.

► Add to the Discussion