Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: BigTen Expansion: Good or bad for College wrestling???
Mark Niemann added to this discussion on May 11, 2010

I've heard MANY "reports" about teams who are on the short list to be invited into the conference within the next 6 or 10 months.

In looking at the landscape of NCAA wrestling, I'm wondering everybody's thoughts concerning this move, the teams involved and the impact it could have for college wrestling.

If we can believe half of what gets put out, Missouri and Nebraska, along with Notre Dame and Rutgers are among the names mentioned recently. Other teams I've heard are West Virginia, Pitt, and Texas. (But I'm sure this last one is a LONG shot.)

Rutgers is cool, so is WVU. Really no team is uncool HOWEVER...

If we do get either Missouri or Nebraska OR BOTH, this could spell doom for the Big XII, which by the way, only has 5 of the 12 involved. How easy it would be to just drop the "other" three programs left.

So, I was just wondering if anybody else had thoughts on this subject...

My opinion... as it has been WELL documented on this forum (among others) ... I am wrestling, do not weap for me. But whatever, dude.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

J.P. Barner added to this discussion on May 11, 2010

But the 'other 3' are long entrenched powers OU, OSU and ISU. I can't see them dropping the sport. Maybe, since some of the schools mentioned for expansion don't wrestle - ND?, UCONN, Cuse - those three could join the new B10 for wrestling only?

Mark Adelman added to this discussion on May 12, 2010

Article on the on the Big Ten expansion rumors from todays Akron Beacon-Journal.

http://www.ohio.com/sports/93556799.html

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on May 12, 2010

alot of angles on this re wrestling:

...if new schools coming into Big 10 don't have wrestling i'm sure they will ADD IT, which would be news in a sport that has only seen "drops". Could include the likes of Connecticut, Syracuse which dropped it about 15 years ago, and Notre Dame which has no excuse not to have wrestling even now.

...one college coach told me that wrestling is considered a "Top Tier" sport in the Big 10-- a term i was not familiar with-- but he said it meant every Big 10 school HAD TO have a wrestling program.

...the Big 12 aka Big 5 could become the not-so-big 3 or 4 and could lose their conference NCAA qualifying tourn, the schools remaining could be forced to go to the Western Regional.

...at FILA a couple weeks ago i talked to both Bryan Smith of Missouri and Mark Manning of Nebraska about it, they seemed to be positive on the move to the Big 10, if it occurs.

...Could help Missouri recruiting which already might start 2 Ohio kids next season, Zack Toal from TroyC, and Dan Gonsor from st Eds who is trf from VA to Missouri. s/BobP

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on May 12, 2010

Excellent post, Bob.

I especially like the "current non-wrestling schools coming in" part. I was aware that the schools in or entering the BigTen had to have it, but was unaware of the terminology.

If it does go down that the BigTen expands to 16, and we bring in 3 or 4 currently non-wrestling schools, that would be a bonus... but not at the expense of the Big XII.

However, I have heard that the "mainstays" of Okie U and Okie St., along with Iowa State could morph into the Mountain West or even another conference, if for nothing more than wrestling.

I think my main point for the shift down from 5 for the Big XII is that it HAS TO effect their number of qualifiers and thus recruiting, and thus revenue, and thus livelyhood. Just sayin'.

Brian Nicola added to this discussion on May 17, 2010

BP-

I want to believe that they would add wrestling, but there are schools without baseball or track. As much as I hope it is so, wrestling can't possibly be on a higher tier than baseball.

There is no excuse for ND or Syracuse to not have squads, but I don't think it will be automatic.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on May 17, 2010

Brian: Are you saying that there are schools in the BigTen without baseball or track!?

If that is the case, that, to me, is kind of amazing.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on May 17, 2010

i'm not aware of this, names please, specifically who in Big Ten doesnt have baseball or track ???

Real quick... I was questioning if that is indeed what Brian was saying. That (the fact that there are schools within the BigTen that DO NOT have baseball or track) is why I posed my question. He might not have been saying that at all, so I just wanted to clarfiy.

Brian posted, "but there are schools without baseball or track."

Mark,
yes thats what Brian said or at least clearly implied, he said that not all (Big Ten) schools have baseball or track ----- since i'm not an expert on which Big Ten teams have or don't have certain sports, thats why i asked WHO doesnt have baseball or track in the Big Ten?? ----- frankly that would amaze me if some don't have baseball or track, but ive been amazed before. s/BobP

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on May 17, 2010

Quote from Brian Nicola's post:

"BP-

I want to believe that they would add wrestling, but there are schools without baseball or track. As much as I hope it is so, wrestling can't possibly be on a higher tier than baseball.

There is no excuse for ND or Syracuse to not have squads, but I don't think it will be automatic."

Maybe I'm wrong but I think he was talking about schools that are being considered for expansion i.e syracuse doesnt have baseball and they would add baseball before they add wrestling.

I could be wrong

well Brian can explain for himself, but clearly the way he worded it, he meant Why Should a Newcomer school to the Big Ten have to add wrestling since there are now Big Ten schools that don't have baseball or track. --- if Brian didnt mean that, why would he bring it up at all ?

Brian said, "I want to believe that they would add wrestling, but there are schools without baseball or track." Clear to me, it meant not every Big Ten school has baseball and track and i merely asked who?

Whatever, regardless-- its time to move on, no use belaboring the point ---the question is ARE THERE Big Ten schools without baseball or track?? If all have those 2 sports then i think it can be expected a newcomer would add wrestling if they don't currently have it, after all who wants to be odd man out in the premier wrestling conference in America??? No one. s/BobP

Don Bork added to this discussion on May 17, 2010

Just did a quick check at the Big Ten Athletics website to look at the current baseball standings and.............no Wisconsin. Also, no Northwestern Mens Track and Field.

didnt know that, good info, thanks, im surprised.

Brian N. ...1
Bob P. ...0
Mark N. ...0

I kid, I kid...

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next