Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: Buckeye Recruiting Keeps Rolling
Dan Ransick added to this discussion on May 5, 2010

Ohio State right now has 4 Top 30 recruits coming in for 2011 including Garcia. Tessari, Stieber and DiJilius are all Top 30 wrestlers. The topper will be Phillips that would almost assure them of the #1 recruiting class with those 5 alone.

In regards to Phillips I would imagine he would be leaning towards Ohio State as all his Monroeville buddies are heading to Columbus. I will say that right now the 2011 class looks to be comparable to the first recruiting class that Ryan had here in 2007.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on May 5, 2010

Tim: You're right to note that some of the Big Ten schools have really been hurt by Ryan's presence in Columbus. But...Northwestern will welcome a top five recruiting class next fall. Michigan brought in a very good frosh class last year and redshirted it. Michigan will be improved next season while NW will be much better in a few years.

Interestingly, the VA programs--Virginia Tech, UVA and Old Dominion--have all done a very good job recruiting Ohio over the last several years.

And while we're handing out kudos, let's not ignore the fine job your alma mater has done over the last several years. The Bobcats really turned it around last season due to much better recruiting.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on May 5, 2010

Hank: EXCELLENT post.

And if I may... although I've brought this subject up before, I think your post welcomes it again... have the new qualifying measures made going to those other schools (schools outside the BigTen and Big XII) an even more viable option?

Mark: I think so.

DR:
In spite of the good feelings that Phillips to Columbus would engender, it's quite possible he ends up elsewhere. I have no doubt they're recruiting him. But with Demas and Garcia already in the fold, it's quite possible that Ohio State is not willing to make him the same size offer that he'll get elsewhere. Hard to walk away from a full ride if someone like Michigan or Virginia Tech offers it. Another factor may be that Phillips is one of several guys ohio state would like (think someone like Morgan McIntosh). If someone else commits first, they'll get the dollars. I'm not sure this one will end neatly but I'll be happy if proven wrong.

Kevin Schlosser added to this discussion on May 5, 2010

I posted this on TheMat.com and I was meaning to respond to the question asked earlier about a depth chart so I will copy it here with a few tweeks.

Taking a look ahead with four recruits in the class of 2011 giving verbals this could be the tOSU lineup over the next five years. Keep in mind it is my opinion, this is nothing official. Guys can grow or they can cut, some guys may leave, additional recruits will arrive, some will pan out, and others won't. A few guys I left out could turn into something as well.

2010-2011

125 - Stieber/Triggas - Touris
133 - Paddock/Stieber - Harrington
141 - Palmer/Paddock - Henry/Vaughan
149 - Nemec/Kusar - Palmer/Fee
157 - Jameson/Kusar/Sponseller
165 - Sponseller/Demas/Jameson - Cambell
174 - Heflin/Sanders/Sponseller
184 - Capone/Pendleton
197 - Magrum/Walsh
285 - Hiles/Fortune - Johntony

2011-2012

125 - Triggas - Touris
133 - Paddock - Harrinton/Vaughan
141 - Palmer - Henry/Vaughan
149 - Nemec/Kusar -Palmer/Fee - Good Spot to Recruit for Impact
157 - Jameson/Nemec - Kusar - Good Spot to Recruit for Impact
165 - Garcia/Jameson - Demas/Cambell
174 - Demas/Heflin - Sanders
184 - Heflin/Capone - Pendleton - Good Spot to Recruit for Impact
197 - Magrum/Walsh/Capone - Good Spot to Recruit for Impact
285 - Hiles/Fortune/ - Gladstone

RS or Olympic RS - L Stieber, Garcia, Fortune
RS - DiJulius, H Stieber, Tessari, Paddock

I know they have redefined the Olympic RS regulations a couple of times but I would think Logan, Derek & Fortune would qualify under the current system. An Olympic would be Fortune's only way to RS at tOSU. For Stieber and Garcia they would have a redshirt if they were ever injured or it benefited the team for a year

I like the idea of Logan leading the redshirts their first year on campus. Hard to sit him down after he wrestles a year but if he doesn't do it in year one I think this is his most likely year to RS him.

2012-2013

125 - Stieber/Stone - At some point another lifer at 125 or a stud 125-133
133 - DiJulius/Paddock - Vaughan
141 - Paddock/Tessari - Henry/Vaughan
149 - Palmer/Tessari/Stieber
157 - Jameson/Stieber - Good Spot to Recruit
165 - Garcia/Demas - Cambell
174 - Demas/Garcia - Sanders
184 - Heflin/Capone - Pendleton - Good Spot to Recruit for Impact
197 - Magrum/Walsh/Capone - Good Spot to Recruit for Impact
285 - Hiles/Fortune/ - Gladstone

I think it gets harder to predict the further you go because they probably add 1-2 "impact" recruits in 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015 so there are 4-8 guys not in the two-deep the last few years.

2013-2014

125 - Stieber/Stone
133 - DiJulius/L Stieber - Start Recruiting
141 - Tessari/DiJulius - Start Recruiting
149 - Palmer/Tessari/H Stieber - Fee
157 - H Stieber/Fee
165 - Garcia/Demas - Good Spot to Recruit for Impact
174 - Demas/Garcia
184 - Heflin/Capone - Good Spot to Recruit for Impact
197 - Capone - Good Spot to Recruit for Impact
285 - Hiles/Fortune/ - Gladstone - Good Spot to Recruit for Impact

2015-2016

125 - Stieber/Stone
133 - DiJulius/Stieber
141 - Tessari/DiJulius
149 - Fee/Stieber/Tessari
157 - Stieber/Fee
165 - Garcia
174 - Demas
184 - Heflin
197 - Capone
285 - Gladstone

In regards to Chris Phillips the Buckeyes are still recruiting him. The Monroeville Three are a plus for Ohio State but Chris will make an independent decision on his own. Regardless of where he goes I think he gets a great education and has a succesful wrestling career.

Ohio State recruiting has improved under the current staff no doubt. I think that Michigan has done a great job of getting Ohio guys over the years, Virginia and Virginia Tech have come on strong in recent years. I think Purdue is a school that always seems to have more than a handful of Ohio guys in their room and in their lineup.

On the horizon Wisconsin is trying to establish a foothold in Ohio at Graham. With the possibility of multiple Jordans in the lineup its not hard to imagine a few more Buckeyes in the Badger's lineup. Pariano at Northwestern could be able to cherry pick a top-student/wrestler every year from Ohio. It may not make a big impact in any given year but if he gets one a year half the Wildcat lineup could be Academic or NCAA All-Americans from Ohio.

Last edited by Kevin Schlosser on May 5, 2010; edited 1 time in total

Kevin: What leaps out at me is your listing of Sean Nemec at 149 lbs. I assume you have heard some talk of this move from the "powers that be."

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on May 5, 2010

Thanks for the information, Kevin.

Certainly Stieber, Fortune, and Garcia would fit the Olympic RS bill. I am, however, often troubled by how liberally that is applied to people with zero ranking on the US National Team ladder. Are there regulations in place for how you can have an OLY RS?

Off topic - I know. Just curious.

Thanks,

Anyone ever hear of Steve Spearman? During a discussion on themat.com forum, a poster mentioned the following:

"Steve's father stated to me that tOSU is his number one choice at this point. He is only a sophmore in high school. But would like to sign as a Junior before wrestling season. 3rd at Piaa-AAA states as a freshman at 125, 1st at States as a Sophmore 130. He was taken down one time his whole sophmore year and that was in the state finals. He wrestles on one knee alot, alot of people don't care for it, but you cant stop his blast double."

Here's a video of Spearman in the PA state finals.

http://www.flowrestling.org/videos/wrestling_match/play/318341-130lbs-steve-spearman-mcdowell-vs-tyler-buckman-central-dauphin

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on May 5, 2010

Nothing is ever guaranteed about who is going to have the best class. There are four different programs this year that have FIVE top 100 recruits -- Iowa (6), and then Penn State/Northwestern/Minnesota with 5.

I would say that Ohio State has positive momentum though in terms of a recruiting class.

I'm not sure if Phillips fits into the Ohio State plans with Garcia, Demas, and Heflin projecting into the 165/174/184 slots for the longer term. I think there is also a "plateau factor" in play right now with Phillips, as he doesn't seem to be challenging himself like most elite wrestlers do (i.e. FILA Juniors, Junior Duals, Fargo).

In terms of Magrum, he won matches at nationals this year. I would project him more into the round of 12 type than an AA favorite at this point. We shall see what the preseason ranking yield though. My speculation is that Fortune is being brought in to potentially knock Hiles out of the starting position at 285 -- if that happens then you have to think of Fortune as a round of 12/AA type.

Tim Courtad added to this discussion on May 6, 2010

luke,

I will always bleed green and white, but you have to give props where props are deserved. I would love to see kent and OU to get their share of Ohio recruits as well. These kids that are going to the ACC schools are going to schools that are stepping stones for coaches and the conference is one of the bottom tier conferences in division 1. I am a firm believer that where you go to school is where most of your connections throughout life come from. Unless you want to live down south the rest of your life, you will be better off going to a school in Ohio, if that is where you want to set up your career.

One of the worst decisions I have ever made was going to Miami of Ohio to play football and wrestle. I passed on scholarships to wrestle for Iowa State, Ohio State, Penn State, Ect. This was a bad decision for wrestling, but a good decision for my business career that is Ohio Based. Sometimes kids have to look at the big picture.

One of the best decisions I made was to become a Bobcat and be tutored by one of the best upperweight coaches in the country in Greenlee. If I wasn't so banged up my senior year things might have gone a lot better, but I loved the experience I had at OU. So Luke don't bust my chops, I still have love for the bobcats.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on May 6, 2010

hank posts, Anyone ever hear of Steve Spearman? During a discussion on themat.com forum, a poster mentioned the following:

"Steve's father stated to me that tOSU is his number one choice at this point. He is only a sophmore in high school."
---------------------------------------

he's main reason Erie McDowell PA is in the IRONMAN next December 10 & 11.

He has a bro coming in too as a freshman. Won class AAA state 130 lb as a soph with a 8-6 OT win over the C Dauphin kid in finals. Spearman was 42 & 0. Had tough first round draw at state over Rauenzahn, last years runnerup, but won 11-6. Spearman very explosive kid. s/BobP

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on May 6, 2010

I would love to see the Bucks get Ian Miller as particularly if he projects as a future 157/165.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on May 7, 2010

I agree with you, Scott. Ian Miller is one bad dude. Great tenacity.

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on May 8, 2010

I wonder if Zeb's ties will steer Ian toward KSU. That would be great for Kent were they to get him. That being said, I would like to see him at any of the Ohio schools, just don't let him get away. I love that kid's ability and upside.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on May 9, 2010

Regarding a plateau in terms of development, it is a very real phenomena.

Whether someone reaches a point in their development where their development stalls is dependent upon their training situation and their capacity for adaptation.

An athlete needs to take on challenges of increasingly difficult but doable tasks. Sound instruction and excellent coaching is necessary to bridge the gaps in difficulty.

An athlete left unchallenged will likely lose interest.

An athlete overwhelmed, will find a new pursuit.

An athlete untaught, will likely make the same mistakes.

An athlete with guidance and incremental improvement goes on to do great things.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next