Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Cam Tessari to Ohio State!
Ben Golden added to this discussion on April 27, 2010

http://www.buckeyewrestling.com/?q=node/37342

Three down, one to go.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on April 27, 2010

WOW! This is a great get for OSU. I am of the belief that he undervalued, even as good as he is.

Quote from Ethan Moore's post:

"WOW! This is a great get for OSU. I am of the belief that he undervalued, even as good as he is."

I think early on, Cam was considered very good but maybe a step below the other three from Monroeville. That's not really a knock on him at all--his two classmates (H. Stieber and Phillips) both won the Ironman as freshmen. However, he seems to have closed the gap in the last year with his great showing at Jr. Duals and an Ironman championship. He's beaten everyone who's stepped on the mat with him. At this point, I think he's every bit as good of a recruit as Hunter and Phillips (all three being among the best in the country).

I was pretty excited to see how he would do at Jr. Nationals this last weekend, but he ended up defaulting out after the second round. I can't wait to see what he does at Ohio State!

Another thought:

You've got to note the kind of competition that will be in those light weights for the foreseeable future. Presumably Logan will be at 125, leaving Hunter, Paddock, Tessari, and Collin Palmer to battle it out for 133, 141, and 149. It's a shame that all those guys (probably) won't be able to start at the same time, but it's a good problem to have from the program's perspective.

J.P. Barner added to this discussion on April 27, 2010

There's always red-shirts and injuries to consider.

Any word on Phillips leanings?

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on April 27, 2010

Great pickup there. I agree that he is undervalued a little bit, and think he will be just awesome in college. We have Garcia, Hunter Stieber, and Tessari already coming next year, and it is really early in the process.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 29, 2010

My opinion is that it's a great move by Ohio State. My biggest criticism of the program has been their failure to land some major Ohio studs while pursuing out of state guys. This signing shows a shift in attitude. He's talented, wanted to come, and they grabbed him. That's how you do it. Hard to say where everyone is going to fit but let the wrestlers sort it out.

Good move by the Buckeyes and congratulations to Tessari.

My guess is that the Bucks are recruiting Phillips, Campolatto and McIntosh and will sign the first one to commit. Bucks will have a monster class arriving a year from this fall given the deferment of Garcia.

Don Bork added to this discussion on April 29, 2010

Agreed Hank. Going after the top in state kids is a must. You can pursue the best out of state as well, but take the first to commit, we can't afford to put our eggs in the out of state basket, lose that kid and then hope to jump in late on an Ohio boy. TOSU's long term success will go hand in hand with our ability to get the best out of Ohio. If we are successful at this, the out of state kids will look more seriously at coming to TOSU. When I read that Tessari had commited I couldn't help but get excited for the future of the program. I think he has improved the most over the last four years of all the Monroeville Four and has great upside. He's projected as a 141 or 149, but I think he could well fill the 157 slot 3 to 5 years down the road. I'd love to see the Bucks fill out this class with either Phillips or Macintosh.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on April 29, 2010

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"
My guess is that the Bucks are recruiting Phillips, Campolatto and McIntosh and will sign the first one to commit."

Won't be Campolattano. He committed to Rutgers for football.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on April 29, 2010

"In the classroom Cam is an honor roll student that finished his last quarter with a 3.8 GPA."

Have to love that.

► Add to the Discussion