Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Martinez of StPG Possible to Illinois Prep
Roe Fox added to this discussion on April 21, 2010

Anyone know if this is true and, if so, who might replace him in the line-up?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on April 21, 2010

Perhaps more importantly, why? Does this kid even have a hometown? From what I have heard it isn't St. Paris. Is it in Illinois?

Zebulin Miller added to this discussion on April 21, 2010

Genoa, OH

Roe Fox added to this discussion on April 21, 2010

I trolled Gary in and wasn't even trying! I'm being internet stalked. I didn't type the post with any sort of inference he was doing something wrong nor, even after Gary's post, do I think that now.

Dan, help me. You're the moderator (police).

One might very well go to a college prep school to enhance his educational opportunities for college, using his athletic ability to get in and get some financial aid.

Now, as a 40+ year resident of Ohio, I cannot quite remember where Genoa is located. I will google it.

Zebulin Miller added to this discussion on April 21, 2010

Right Next to Oak Harbor, not that it will help! Toledo Area.

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on April 22, 2010

Roe, I was not trying to say it was "wrong". I am just old enough to remember when sports was an extracurricular, and not the reason so many kids hop schools and their parents allow it. Certainly not just Martinez in this case, but many others.

And I have no real idea in this case, but somehow I doubt if it is for academics. He knew the academics at Graham before he enrolled there, or should have, after all isn't that what school is for. It's not like Graham is in his home district, he must have consciously chosen to go there for some reason.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on April 30, 2010

Here's an article from a local paper that sheds some light on this move.

http://www.springfieldnewssun.com/springfield-oh-sports/high-school-sports/graham/state-champ-martinez-leaves-graham-wrestling-program-680129.html

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on April 30, 2010

Hopefully, where ever he ends up wrestling next year, he can stay plugged in with some high caliber coaches/wrestlers that can continue to challenge & develop him. I don't know much about the wrestling rooms in Oregon or Genoa any more. (Speaking of Genoa…where's Nick C these days?). Shawn Nelson will be close by in Findley, but I'm not sure how much time he can/would spend with him considering he is not likely targeting Findley for college. Eric Burnett/The Barn is relatively close by for him (compared to St. Paris). It will be tough to find the kind of training he has had with Jeff & the crew (but then again, I am pretty biased towards Jimmy & Jeff). In any event, I hope Felipe continues to develop. I've always thought he is one of those kids that has that hard-nosed attitude, style, and physique to be a top level D1 wrestler and the kind of kid that could very well represent our country some day. Obviously, only time will tell.

► Add to the Discussion