Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Discussion Topic: Fortune Smiles on the Buckeyes
Don Bork added to this discussion on May 2, 2010

I'm just guessing, but I doubt most programs put much scholly money into HWs unless he's a blue chip because a true HW can only wrestle that weight whereas a 145 lber in high school might be able to go down to 141 or as high as 157 (or more) in his 5 years of college. That said, I guess I'd look at the 215"s to find someone who is too small for major college football but was extreemly athletic and had a really big dad.......yah.......what's so hard about recruiting a heavy......

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on May 2, 2010

You more of less just described Tyler Houska- who I love as a 285. He had a great freshman year, and will just continue to get better, IMO. Actually, I don't think he was necessarily too small for major college football, just maybe too slow or something like that.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on May 2, 2010

"Does anyone have a good reason for our lack of 285 recruiting?"
------------------------------------------

plenty of "recruiting" goes on but there aren't many to get excited about, not compared to most other wt classes. We look for em every year for the Am Wr News rankings and are painfully aware how few good ones there are, and even with the good ones in general theres not the skill level compared to middle wts-- then subtract out the good Hwts who will play college football, which is most of them, and whats left to recruit, whats worth spending $$ on ??

PLUS its very hard to PROJECT SUCCESS in college at 285, and sure colleges scour the 215 list too. But the cant miss Tommy Rowland's, Steve Mocco's and Kole Contrad's are very few and far between.

so apparently the buckeyes are very Fortunate. s/BobP

Mark Adelman added to this discussion on May 2, 2010

Fortune(ate) should be the word. As we all know, 285 is a tough weight to prognosticate. My son was the OU 285 for a number of years and each year the stud recruits were going to take his place. None did, even the highly recruited Graham wrestler. At that weight you never know. My son was recruited as a197 but I guess he ate too much, as he had to beat out a returning NCAA qualifier to get his spot his sophomore year.

Regardless, he was a starter and never had any academic or other issues. I think that means a lot to the recruiters. My son earned his scholarship by fulfilling his commitment. Thank the Lord, because at the time, with other children in the family, that scholarship meant a lot!!

Good Luck to all Wrestlers!!

Don Bork added to this discussion on May 2, 2010

I know the Bucks have brought in a fair number of heavys with little or no $ investment over the past four years. They seem to stay a year or two and then have transfered or just left school or given up on wrestling. At least we are in a better position for next year, and hopefully longer, with the addition of Fortune and the commitment from Gladstone. Hiles was the only heavy left on the roster. At least now there will be some competition in the room which will only make everyone better. But, as has been pointed out, with Dlagnev, Rowlands, Bergman and the TOSU roster kids, it seems we should be able to scope in on the top high school underclassmen and convince them of the training opportunity that exists here.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on May 3, 2010

Great point by Mister Adelman. Its a tough weight class to predict. Why do wrestlers like Marcus Adelman and Corey Morrison carve out solid careers while more touted big men fall short? I think one major reason is the amount of work it takes to become a successful college 285. In high school, big and strong plus modest technique can mean state placement. In D1, you need those attributes plus a lot of techniques often associated with light wt wrestlers. You have to work really hard to develop D1 ready offense as a big man if those skills don't exist. Some guys just can't do it. Plus, you have to become capable of wrestling hard for seven minutes. Many hs hvys have never trained hard enough to wrestle for seven minutes. It's brutal for these big guys to get in that type of shape.

By the way, Cole Konrad was a walk-on.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on May 3, 2010

"By the way, Cole Konrad was a walk-on."
--------------------------------------

don't think so Hank, i watched this 6 ft 7 285 win both styles in Jr nationals in fargo either before or after his senior year, he was a well known cant miss.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4