Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Discussion Topic: Fortune Smiles on the Buckeyes
Bob Preusse added to this discussion on April 17, 2010

u give me a break-- the guy used my comment to try to stir things up, the guy is constantly trying to stir up trouble with his comments, has been that way forever, and i just said what most everyone else knows.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on April 17, 2010

Quote from Ethan Moore's post:

"Give me a break, Gary is asking a legitimite question. Don't get so sensitive, and don't hate because some people aren't devout OSU fans.

Back on topic, seems like a great pick up for OSU!"

Ethan, thanks for being able to understand the obvious.

Bob no doubt made it seem as if academics could be an issue, My question then seemed somewhat logical, at least to me and apparently to you as well.

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on April 17, 2010

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"u give me a break-- the guy used my comment to try to stir things up, the guy is constantly trying to stir up trouble with his comments, has been that way forever, and I just said what most everyone else knows."

"stir up trouble"??????????

Sorry if my Kool-Aid is not colored scarlet and gray, if that is really the problem you seem to have with me.

How is questioning if a JUCO kid, and one who whether you want to admit it seems to be questionable at that, can cut it academically at Ohio State? I am not the one who constantly praises the academics there, but if what you read on here is half true a potentially struggling JUCO kid should have serious academic issues with upper-level classes at Ohio State.

And if he does indeed get his associates degree then I would think he would enter OSU as an academic junior which means he should be taking upper-level classes. At least that is how it has worked at the school my family has attended.

Don Bork added to this discussion on April 17, 2010

I believe Bob stated the Tyrell had to complete his academic work and graduate before he could be admitted to TOSU. I believe that is true of any recruit, juco or high school, who has commited to any collegiate program. Gary, why did you assume he was in academic jeopardy?

David Brown added to this discussion on April 17, 2010

Agreed Don. Looking back over the comments it seems clear that Gary inferred something Bob was not implying. This is an ohio wrestling site. It seems as though others remind you of that all the time. I know you view yourself as a balancing force or whatever but I don't really see that. You are more like the guy telling jokes at a funeral or the over 50 guy at the beach with a thong. Inappropriate is the word that comes to mind.

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on April 18, 2010

Quote from David Brown's post:

"Agreed Don. Looking back over the comments it seems clear that Gary inferred something Bob was not implying. This is an ohio wrestling site. It seems as though others remind you of that all the time. I know you view yourself as a balancing force or whatever but I don't really see that. You are more like the guy telling jokes at a funeral or the over 50 guy at the beach with a thong. Inappropriate is the word that comes to mind."

So "ohio wrestling site" equals Ohio State wrestling site?

This is part of what Bob said "Fortune must complete his academic work at Clackamas community college or he cant be admitted to Ohio St". And this is what I got my inference from. It is true that ALL high school recruits must graduate before they can be admitted, yet how often is this type of statement made about them? So, to make this statement, implies that graduation might be an issue for him. Otherwise, why make the statement? It would be completely redundant. It isn't being made about Stieber, or any of the others as far as I can recall. It was fair to assume there must be some reason why this was written, or again the statement would be redundant and unnecessary.

Bill Watson added to this discussion on April 18, 2010

Gary, here is where your hatred can turn into irrational thought. It is my understanding that the reference to graduation was made due to previous statements that regarded Mr. Fortune arriving in December and not in the Summer. I think this is clear if you read and interpret all of the conversation not just select portions.

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on April 18, 2010

"hatred"?????? LOL

I have done a little research on that school's website. This is his second academic year at the school, so shouldn't it be assumed he will get his associates in the two years he has spent there? And if he isn't going to, so be it, but then I renew my question about how easy is it going to be for him to maintain his eligibility at OSU if he will need two-and-one-half years to get an associates. Again, I have NO idea if that will be the case but isn't that the question here?

Let's not get carried away by the response of Bob to my post, his thin-skin is well-known. Just check his responses anytime he even sniffs a criticism of the Ironman or his rankings. And what I said negative about him in my post is truly beyond me. Now his post about me is quite a different story.

I simply, and I repeat simply, asked a question about the guy's ability to stay eligible. Please show me where in my original post was even a hint of "hatred".

And, by the way, if I was truly going to "hate" I would have questioned them bringing in a JUCO kid. I don't see any on the current roster, unless they declined to identify them as such, and wonder when the last time was. Many schools in many sports, right or wrong, will not touch a JUCO kid for numerous reasons.

Bill Watson added to this discussion on April 19, 2010

Gary, Im not questioning the validity of your arguement, in fact, I feel it has merit. However, I am stating that if there was ever a subject matter that pertained to the Buckeyes, in which, you approached with positivity, you views wouldn't get misinterpretted when you have valid points.

Now that said, It is a great signing, I don't believe he has to take upper divisional coursework he could venture to obtain another associates. Regardless of the matter, he will get the grades, he doesn't play for Rich Rod so he will have time to study.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on April 19, 2010

Was anyone really not thinking what Gary wrote? The student himself acknowledged he had some growing to do as a student and wrestler. He is at a community college for reasons that most great athletes who don't enroll in college right away.

Fortune said all the right things and I give him tremendous credit for knowing what his goals are and what he needs to do to get them, including international wrestling.

It's just that Gary always does like to rain on the TOSU parade and Bob can't help overreacting. Both very predictable these days.

J.P. Barner added to this discussion on April 19, 2010

Why do so many threads here lately seem to devolve into pissing matches? Grow up already.

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on April 19, 2010

Quote from Bill Watson's post:

"Gary, Im not questioning the validity of your arguement, in fact, I feel it has merit. However, I am stating that if there was ever a subject matter that pertained to the Buckeyes, in which, you approached with positivity, you views wouldn't get misinterpretted when you have valid points.

Now that said, It is a great signing, I don't believe he has to take upper divisional coursework he could venture to obtain another associates. Regardless of the matter, he will get the grades, he doesn't play for Rich Rod so he will have time to study."

Bill, in good conscience, how does anyone recuit a guy who is going to be a junior in academic standing who is simply going to pursue a degree he already has? Not to mention, and perhaps things have changed in the many years since I was in college, I thought you have to be actively pursuing your next degree. Not just repeating your earlier years over and over.

Is OSU not just going after ATHLETE-students?

Quote from Roe Fox's post:

"Was anyone really not thinking what Gary wrote? The student himself acknowledged he had some growing to do as a student and wrestler. He is at a community college for reasons that most great athletes who don't enroll in college right away.

Fortune said all the right things and I give him tremendous credit for knowing what his goals are and what he needs to do to get them, including international wrestling.

It's just that Gary always does like to rain on the TOSU parade and Bob can't help overreacting. Both very predictable these days."

Roe, international wrestling is certainly a noble pursuit. Can't he do that without the charade of being a college student if that is his ultimate goal?

And back to an earlier question of mine, when was the last time OSU signed a JUCO (Roe, this is not targeted to you. I just didn't want to created another post)?

Kevin Petrella added to this discussion on April 19, 2010

Quote from Gary Sommers's post:

"

Bill, in good conscience, how does anyone recuit a guy who is going to be a junior in academic standing who is simply going to pursue a degree he already has?

Is OSU not just going after ATHLETE-students?"

You can obtain an associates in another area so you would have 2 different associates degrees. Or you can begin work on an entirely new bachelors or get a bachelor's in the same field as your associates. A lot of options here.

Quote from Kevin Petrella's post:

"

Quote from Gary Sommers's post:

"

Bill, in good conscience, how does anyone recuit a guy who is going to be a junior in academic standing who is simply going to pursue a degree he already has?

Is OSU not just going after ATHLETE-students?"

You can obtain an associates in another area so you would have 2 different associates degrees. Or you can begin work on an entirely new bachelors or get a bachelor's in the same field as your associates. A lot of options here."

Kevin, pursuing a second associates degree or beginning a bachelors in a different field (essentially repeating your freshman and sophomore years in both cases) will maintain eligibility? Interesting. Like I said, I didn't think that is how it used to be but it could very well be permissible today. Or maybe it always was and I don't recall correctly.

If that is the case then this certainly is not a flaw of OSU, but rather of the NCAA for putting "athlete" ahead of "student".

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next