Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Kory Mines to Edinboro
Bob Preusse added to this discussion on April 12, 2010

Jamie Milkovich told me yesterday 2X state champ 112 Kory Mines of Maple Heights will sign Wednesday with Edinboro. David Habat of st Ignatius & Mines join Chris Honeycutt of st Eds at Edinboro.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on April 13, 2010

Congrats to Korey and Maple Heights. Mines should be fun to watch in college, and I don't really worry about his size- he was probably as big a 112 as I have ever seen. He will have some good partners at Edinboro, as well.

He was a kid I called for CSU to go after all year. Hmm....

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on April 14, 2010

CSU went after Mines, but CSU right now a tough sell.

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on April 14, 2010

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"CSU went after Mines, but CSU right now a tough sell."

Especially for a local kid.

Edinboro seems to do well with underranked (whatever word you wish to use for less high-profile) kids as well.

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on April 15, 2010

Quote from Josh Lowe's post:

"

"CSU went after Mines, but CSU right now a tough sell."

Especially for a local kid.

Edinboro seems to do well with underranked (whatever word you wish to use for less high-profile) kids as well."

Josh, if you are calling Kory "underranked" I would tend to agree. Chris and I often talk about what little respect he seems to get for being a 2-time champ, 3-time finalist, and 4-time placer, not to mention Maple's all-time leader in victories.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on April 15, 2010

"underranked" by who?? Amateur Wrestling News has had Kory about the same all season, he ended at # 7 in the AWN all-class at 112 --- and the # 1 ranked senior at 112. s/BobP

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on April 15, 2010

""underranked" by who?? Amateur Wrestling News has had Kory about the same all season, he ended at # 7 in the AWN all-class at 112 --- and the # 1 ranked senior at 112. s/BobP"

Bob, I understand that. But he just never seemed to get the "buzz" locally in the PD, on websites, or really even among the wrestlers that others got with lesser credentials.

Just speaking as a Maple grad and the father of a 112 who wrestled Kory a couple of times this season.

Steve Lester added to this discussion on April 15, 2010

A number of folks picked Stephen Myers to upend MInes at state, and not all of them were from the SW. It was a pleasure watching Mines. Mitch and Demas got all of the accolades for the speed of their neutral game. Well, Kory Mines was pretty damn quick too.

Steve Lester added to this discussion on April 15, 2010

A number of folks picked Stephen Myers to upend MInes at state, and not all of them were from the SW. It was a pleasure watching Mines. Mitch and Demas got all of the accolades for the speed of their neutral game. Well, Kory Mines was pretty damn quick too.

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on April 15, 2010

Underranked in the overall context of the senior class -- not his weight class.

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on April 16, 2010

Quote from Steve Lester's post:

"A number of folks picked Stephen Myers to upend MInes at state, and not all of them were from the SW. It was a pleasure watching Mines. Mitch and Demas got all of the accolades for the speed of their neutral game. Well, Kory Mines was pretty damn quick too."

I was among those who picked Myers. My rationale was that it was a semifinal, and Mines would be having weight issues. If he didn't lose his semifinal, he wasn't going to be touched in his final when he was probably closer to 130 pounds than 112.

I didn't realize that he is Maple's all time victory leader- that is very impressive. Edinboro could be a good place for him.

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on April 16, 2010

Quote from Pat Costilow's post:

"

Quote from Steve Lester's post:

"A number of folks picked Stephen Myers to upend MInes at state, and not all of them were from the SW. It was a pleasure watching Mines. Mitch and Demas got all of the accolades for the speed of their neutral game. Well, Kory Mines was pretty damn quick too."

I was among those who picked Myers. My rationale was that it was a semifinal, and Mines would be having weight issues. If he didn't lose his semifinal, he wasn't going to be touched in his final when he was probably closer to 130 pounds than 112.

I didn't realize that he is Maple's all time victory leader- that is very impressive. Edinboro could be a good place for him."

It is impressive Pat, though has to be taken with a bit of a grain of salt as many of Maple's best over the years wrestled when freshmen were not eligible, there was only one division, guys weren't wrestling 50 matches a year like these days, and any combination of the above.

But still quite an achievement.

► Add to the Discussion