Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: University National Updates
Ben Golden added to this discussion on April 11, 2010

Brackets:
http://www.twnode4.com/opentournaments/MainFrame.jsp?sport=wrestling&TIM=1271004527724&pageName=&ie=false&frameSize=802

Some Ohio Results:

60 kg:
Ian Paddock is having a very nice weekend. He lost twice, both close matches to Mike Grey. He'll wrestle a tough Ladd Rupp (Okie State) for 5th.

Kyle Gilchrist went 1-2. Alex Radsky went 2-2.

70 kg:
David Taylor is in the finals. He has had a couple bouts go 3 periods, but he should win handily in the finals.

Jared Kusar went 2-2.

74 kg:
Colt Sponseller is in the finals! He's in a pretty decent bracket, too. In the semis he handled Jason Welch. I've got to say that one made me feel good. I've disliked Welch for the last 3 years because the rankers made him the #1 160 in the country over Sponseller. He will face Iowa's Ethen Lofthouse in the finals.

Eric Cubberly has also had a nice tournament. He beat Iowa's Jake Kerr and pinned highl-touted PSU freshman Jake Kemerer. He has 2 losses so far: Sponseller in the quarterfinals and Derek St. John in the consos. He will wrestle Kerr again for 5th. Talk about a tough tournament, geez.

79 kg:
Obie Simpson goes 3-2.

84 kg:
Nick Heflin goes 2-2. Peter Capone goes 0-2.

96 kg:
Zac Thomouseitt goes 4-2.

120 kg:
Hiles goes 3-2.

Cam Wade lost in the semis, but had 3 nice wins beforehand over Blake Rasing (Iowa), Kyle Frey, and Eric Bugenhagen (Wisconsin).

Jeremy Johnson went 2-2.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Rex Holman added to this discussion on April 12, 2010

Freestyle is not a blanket indicator for collegiate success which has been mentioned on here before.

I don't look at these results the same as I do mid season tourneys and collegiate opens.

While it is nice to know that the guys are actively competing, being a University National AA kind of holds the same value as placing in the Southern Kentucky through the Ozarks AAU Championships

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on April 12, 2010

Quote from Rex Holman's post:

"...placing in the Southern Kentucky through the Ozarks AAU Championships"

Which I did, by the way!

Lou Demas added to this discussion on April 13, 2010

Rex,

I hoping there is some hidden sarcasm that i did not pick up in regards to your putting University Nationals on the same level as a southern AAU competition. When that many D1 AA's show up to any competition, I don't think the accomplishment wining it can be down graded to that level.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on April 13, 2010

Lou-

Just an opinion, albeit a a little jaded.

I have a high opinion of NCAA and Senior Nationals.

Everything else is just a way to peak for those events or improve on your ability to compete. They are a means to those ends.

True, there are a lot of great wrestlers there, but there is no comparison in terms of accomplishment with regard to Senior National and NCAAs.

I remember growing up wanting to be an NCAA Champ and Olympic Champ, not so much a University Champion. I did compete once in it and wanted to win it, (like every other competition) but it was more of a seasonal goal, not something I spent a lot of time romanticizing or contemplating. It was just something along the way.

Rex,

Your statement was very jaded and just uncalled for. I don't think many, if any wrestler's hold University Freestyle Nationals in the same esteem as a DI title, but again I don't think any wrestle down grade a University National to a southern AAU tile. Your statement was just mean.
I myself am not the biggest fan of folkstyle but I do hold in high regard the accomplishment it take for a student athlete to achieve a National tile. One could argue that Div I Nationals is like a backwater southern AAU tile compared to winning a Tbilisi Championship yet it would be in bad show to do so on a forum talking about and congratulating the current winner's.

To each his own

Lou-
You are right that we should congratulate the winners and not make light of a competition. It is poor form and I did not intend to aggravate anyone. The comparison was more in jest as it represents a competition that is on the radar but not an indicator of college productivity.

That being said, I saw the OSU results which were average and was not agitated due to the nature of the competition. It is freestyle, it is post season and guys go in the room a couple times a week to open mats. There is not the same urgency to win this tournament. Guys peak for the NCAAs.

The guys that train with this solely on their mind are the resident athletes, and military.

The importance of the tournament to the individual is the ultimate indicator of value. Whether the tournament, the rigors of a season or preseason are tough is irrelevant to intrinsic value and personal worth. I guess a case could be made that I devalued the University Nationals. Guilty. But, it was my experience that they meant much less to me than the Senior Nationals and NCAAs. So, I was projecting my experience as the basis for my jest.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on April 13, 2010

The Senior nationals Rex refers to, aka US Mens Sr Open is at Cleveland St U, Fri April 23 & Saturday April 24, Greco & freestyle, and Womens freestyle is being held same time same place.

Great way to expose our youth to some of the best wrestlers in the World and to the Olympic styles. Call Wolstein Center box office 216--687--9292 or go to www.usopencleveland.com Youth & Group rates available.

its our sport, its endangered, let's support it or we'll lose it, s/BobP

Rex,

I understand completely! My wife thinks I am the reigning king of saying things I think are really funny only to have people look at me as if I was holding an anti-abortion sign at an Obama rally.

Nicholas Sestito added to this discussion on April 13, 2010

Well Colt took home 1st place: 0-1, 1-0, 4-0 over Ethan Lofthouse. Good stuff.

Zebulin Miller added to this discussion on April 14, 2010

Rex,
I hope you make it to the Open so we can sit down and have some dinner, the Miller's will be in attendance.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on April 14, 2010

Kevin Schlosser recaps the event and interviews Sponseller, Paddock:

http://www.buckeyewrestling.com/?q=node/37255

Jack Muni added to this discussion on April 14, 2010

I enjoyed watching Colt vs Welch from NW. It shows what a good 165 lb. does to a good 157 lb.

► Add to the Discussion