Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Proposed rules changes for NFHS
Fred Feeney added to this discussion on April 6, 2010

Here are the rules the NFHS will be looking at:

http://www.rodfrisco.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/2010-Proposed-Rules-Changes.pdf

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on April 6, 2010

feedback im getting, coaches hate this new high school set-set rule in the referees start position top/bottom-- coaches say it has caused alot of cautions, that its unnecessary. Any comments ?

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on April 6, 2010

They're right.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on April 6, 2010

Amen!

If they (the officials) had done it right in the first place (followed the old rule of setting), there would be no need for a second rule.

...and I like refs!!!

The set/set rule should of lessened the cautions but instead it increased them...why?
Simple.
With the set/set, there doesn't need to be a sequence in the set up. If the referee tells the bottom guy or top guy he is set...what's it matter how they got there?
The cautions are due to improper sequence versus false starts.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on April 6, 2010

Fred,
this new rule very unpopular-- maybe misunderstood-- i want to discuss it in the season end review in AWN---- can you email me exactly how the old sequence was and exactly how the new sequence is, with your opinion on why its causing problems.

i'm not an officiating expert, i will quote you. BobP ohiobobp@aol.com

Will do Bob

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on April 7, 2010

Don't like 8.

Fred Feeney added to this discussion on April 19, 2010

Look for a major change in this rule...it will be announced soon...after approval

Kevin Petrella added to this discussion on April 20, 2010

Fred, what one?

Referee starting position?

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on April 20, 2010

excerpt from May issue of AWN:

Rules Issues: Set-Set Controversy
This reporter has received comments mainly regarding one rules issue: the new new “set-set” rule on the referees top and bottom start that coaches think has caused way too many caution calls. Veteran head coach Steve Powell of Easton Pennsylvania tells me, “Cautions probably could be eliminated by putting the hand on the elbow last; who cares about the head or belly order. If rules committee wants enforce no hooking the elbow or moving the bottom man, pause, blow the whistle when they are both set. Make no hand motions, say nothing other than set for bottom man: on for top man – Pause, blow the whistle.”

Mike Schadwinkel, head coach at No. 27 Grand Island Nebraka “felt that the number of cautions in the top/bottom position was enough that it slowed matches down and wasted a lot of time. The idea behind setting the wrestlers is a good idea, I just feel that either using the progression or saying set prior to the whistle is too much. I think the
problem of a rolling start is solved by saying set or by using the progression, not necessarily both.”

Head coach Jeff Sweigard of No. 9 ranked Central Dauphin Pennsyvlania tells me, “However they need to eliminate that nonsense of the sequence start from the referees position. The Dapper Dan did not have one caution the entire dual(s) and it had no bearing on the outcome of any of the individual matches. Bottom man set, top man on, wrestle!”

Veteran Ohio official Fred Feeney explains it this way, “When the bottom guy is set, the referee will tell him he is set, then order the top guy to cover. When he is in the proper position, and he must follow the proper sequence, the referee will then say set and then blow the whistle. Prior years the referee just told the bottom guy to set himself then told him not to move; then told the top guy to cover. Problem is there were lots and lots of rolling starts. The NCAA and the NFHS really wanted to stop the rolling starts so they implemented this new sequence rule. Problem is.they have caused another bigger problem, more cautions.”

Dom Mancini added to this discussion on April 23, 2010

The weight classes ended up staying the same.
No sequence for top wrestler.
No more naked weigh ins for boys.
If sign or symptom of concussion - out of competing - no more have to be rendered unconsious.
Rear Standing double knee kick back is now illegal

Most significant is the concussion rule - if you get your bell rung in a match that may be it!

Christopher Henderson added to this discussion on April 23, 2010

What is the "Double knee kick back"? It sounds like an awesome move! Hopefully, it's still legal in college wrestling.

Does anyone have a link to some footage of this mysterious wrestling move?

Dom Mancini added to this discussion on April 24, 2010

from behind standing - you jump up and kick your feet behind your opponents knees pulling him backwards over top of you - Tony Jameson used to do this all the time.

► Add to the Discussion