Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Plain Dealer Greater Cleveland All-Stars
Steve Lester added to this discussion on April 3, 2010

This morning's newspaper has writer Tim Warsinskey's all-star choices (on page D9). Interesting that this year none of the seven counties have their own "within county" teams selected, as has been the practice in the past. Instead only 14 wrestlers are noted, drawn from the entire 7 county coverage area, one per weight class.

The only controversy would be at 119 (and to a lesser extent at 140). But Warsinskey astutely acknowledges that in his writing of Jerome Robinson's bio, noting that he beat Ty Mitch at the Ironman, thus anticipating potential disagreement.

He lauds Nick Sulzer as wrestler of the year and selects Wadsworth's John Gramuglia as the coach.

His team:
103 Dean Heil, Lakewood St. Edward
112 Kory Mines, Maple Heights.
119 Jerome Robinson, Cleveland St. Ignatius
125 Johnni DiJulius, Cuyahoga Falls Walsh Jesuit
130 Jamie Clark, St. Edward
135 Louden Gorden, Wadsworth
140 Matt Fee, Mentor Lake Catholic
145 Brad Squire, Wadsworth
152 Harrison Hightower, Hunting Valley University School
160 Nick Sulzer, St. Edward
171 Sam Wheeler, Copley
189 Caleb Busson, Wadsworth
215 Nick Tavenello, Wadsworth
285 Ben Buzzelli, Wadsworth

My own list is in agreement with the PDs with the exception that I did have Mitch ahead of Robinson at 119.

I'll add in my second team selections since the PD didn't provide a second team:

103 George Decamillo, St. Ignatius
112 Alex Dronzik, Beachwood
119 Robinson (with Mitch first team)
125 Gus Sako, St. Edward
130 Nate Skonieczny, Walsh Jesuit
135 Mark Martin, St. Edward
140 Devon Range, Lyndhurst Brush
145 Anthony Salupo, St. Edward
152 Waquiem Comar, Twinsburg
160 Brad Wukie, University School
171 Alex Utley, CVCA
189 Chris Kelly, North Olmsted
215 Micheal Samiljenko, Normandy
285 Billy Vaughn, Brecksville

Looking over the two lists, it's easy to see why Greater Cleveland continues to be one of the very best areas, if not the best, for high school wrestling in the nation.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on April 3, 2010

Steve:

None of the sports have had the county split-outs this year. I think they stopped that last year - not sure exactly. That is a budget/space driven decision.

There were three weights where the coverage area had multiple state champions - 119, 125 (DiJulius and Sako), and 152 (Hightower and Comar).

140 was the weight where the quality of wrestler in the coverage area was at its lowest with Fee (in third) the highest placer.

The most "contested" spot was the one at 119 - I agree with you. Leaving a multi-time champ off of the team is a tough thing to have to do -- and that happened in two weights (Sako at 125 is a 2x champ as well).

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on April 3, 2010

Not to hang on Dan's Kirtland boys, but I would take Royal Brettrager over Chriss Kelly 10 times out of 10. If we are looking at it objectively, Royal placed third, winning his third place match over state runner up Beam in a very good and deep weight class while undersized. Kelly got third in a DI weight that was really not good at all, especially beyond the two finalists.

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on April 3, 2010

The other thing- I know Fee was the highest placement, I would take Range over him. The PD has always takent the highest finishers, though. I think Warsinskey has done a great job, especially considering he took over midseason.

Steve Lester added to this discussion on April 5, 2010

Quote from Pat Costilow's post:

"The other thing- I know Fee was the highest placement, I would take Range over him. The PD has always takent the highest finishers, though. I think Warsinskey has done a great job, especially considering he took over midseason."

I like Range too. Flipped a coin.

Bettranger is THAT much better than Kelly?

Steve Lester added to this discussion on April 5, 2010

Nick Sulzer.

Justin K, I think it was, posted on another forum that he is the best 1Xer in Ohio since Ryan Bertin.

In the area's wrestler of the year feature story, Warsinskey notes that Sulzer, in compiling his 40-0 record, had 22 pins, 10 TFs, 6 majors, and 2 regular decisions (Wukie's Ironman final default is accounted as a pin I would guess) .

I suppose Ohio wrestler of the year, all divisions, would have to be Logan Stieber, but what a season turned in by Sulzer. A pleasure to watch.

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on April 5, 2010

The Ironman (Demas) and Division I state tournament (Marsh) semifinals being the only matches that were decided by 8 or less points.

► Add to the Discussion