Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Discussion Topic: I thought we were recruting Camp are we going to lose another one to Penn State?
Ben Golden added to this discussion on April 1, 2010

Nick Miller and Nick Mills are two different people.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Discussion Topic: I thought we were recruting Camp are we going to lose another one to Penn State?
Ben Golden added to this discussion on April 1, 2010

Quote from Scott Nicola's post:

"I would love for the Bucks to score McIntosh. He may end up being better than Camp or Evans. Check it.
http://www.flowrestling.org/videos/coverage/view_video/235141-2010-flonationals/322932-189lbs-morgan-mcintosh-ca-vs-nick-miller-oh-senior"

After watching that video, I would be pretty happy if they scored McIntosh. Very powerful.

Nicholas Sestito added to this discussion on April 1, 2010

Ugh...no wonder. This is how you know it's been a long day.

Julie Thomas added to this discussion on April 1, 2010

Evans Handled Camp in my opinion from the video on flo. Evans also beat Tom Burriel at Ironman may I add quite handily. Mcintosh barley beat Burriel for his state championship the score was 3-1. Camp has beaten McIntosh at Fargo when they were both Cadets. In my opinion and it's just my opinon. I would prefer Camp to McIntosh. I think he is better and also better suited physically for the weight he is projected at. McIntosh is rather small though powereful but small and leverage is important in the upper weights. Again I will state Just my opinion.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on April 1, 2010

"I thought I remember hearing rumors that Ohio State was looking into both Camp and McIntosh, but I believe Bob said he'd only heard information about Ohio State's interest in Camp."
----------------------------------------------

NicholasS,
i did say Ohio st looking hard at Camp, McIntosh and of course Chris Phillips in the upperwts ---although Philips wont be all that big, maybe a 165/174 i think.

McIntosh not tall, but has alot of scoring skills and is very powerful, fluid. Good point Julie on comparative scores vs Burriel. But u take what u can get in the upperwts, not alot to choose from. ----BTW, i liked the kid who won FLO at 215, a junior Nick Gwiazdowski from NY beat highly ranked Tank Knowles from Califronia in OT. NickG would be a 197.

Ohio st is desparate for a 285, not much to choose from. s/BobP

Tim Courtad added to this discussion on April 2, 2010

you would think with Rowlands,Tervel, and Bergman being in Columbus, Ohio State would attract a top notch heavyweight.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on April 2, 2010

"you would think with Rowlands,Tervel, and Bergman being in Columbus, Ohio State would attract a top notch heavyweight."
------------------------------------------------------

Tim,
good point but the problem is in the 285 high school class theres almost nothing to choose from, most of the top hwts are gonna play football in college --and of the remaining hwts the high school skill level is so low compared to middle and lower wts that its very difficult to evaluate who will be an All-American. THUS Ohio St is reluctant to give one of them much, if any, money.

colleges look hard at the 215 class for their hwts, but encounter the same problems when looking at 215. They want a guy with height & frame to grow, not a pudgy 215 or 285. ----Theres not many Tim Courtad's out there.

Kevin Schlosser added to this discussion on April 5, 2010

I don't have a lot to add to this coversation but a few general thoughts.

I don't think Ohio State lost David Taylor to Penn State. Iowa State lost Taylor to Penn State. A lot of his decision came down to where Sanderson ended up and their relationship started when Hellickson was still the head coach at OSU. If anything Tom was unable to pull Taylor away from Cael.

In regards to Camp he was in for the OSU-USC game last year and the Buckeyes are still actively recruiting him. I haven't talked to AC personally beyond a handshake and a nice to meet you so I don't want to speculate on what his decision comes down to.

Several college coaches have said the team that gets him gets at least one individual title and one team title while he is there. I don't think the OSU coaches stop recruiting him until he makes his final decision and as long as they continue to recruit him they believe they have a chance.

In regards to Thomasseit I think he will end up being a very good college wrestler. With a lot of hard work and a little luck he could end up with a few great years. Personally I was hoping Ohio State would have signed Mike Evans as a 184-197 but now that he is going to Iowa they are going to have to find someone to beat him.

As far as recruiting an upperweight Morgan McIntosh is someone that Ohio State and a lot of DI schools would love to have as a 184-197. He is an impact recruit if he wants to leave the west coast. He was on the OSU radar after his freshman year.

In regards to heavyweight Johnny Hiles is the man on the spot right now. He needs to stay healthy, stay hungry, and step up. He could be the OSU starter for the next three years. If he isn't an improvement over Morrison expect the staff to continue recruiting at heavyweight. At the same time a project like Max Gladstone could emerge as a potential starter. You would think Bergman, Dlagnev, and Rowlands would entice a great heavyweight prospect wouldn't you?

Agreed that football robs wrestling of a lot of great college heavyweights. Ohio State has two of the best heavyweights in recent years on their football roster, Garrett Goebel and Dexter Larrimore. Both had the potential to AA in Omaha had they chosen to go the wrestling route. It is a reach to project but I think heavyweight has been wide open at least the last two years. (Credit given to Fox for a great senior year but I don't know if there has been a dominant heavy since Konrad graduated a few years back.)

Ben Golden added to this discussion on April 5, 2010

Quote from Kevin Schlosser's post:

"You would think Bergman, Dlagnev, and Rowlands would entice a great heavyweight prospect wouldn't you?
"

You would think so. I doubt there's a better training situation for a heavyweight anywhere out there. Bob and you are right that football syphons some of the top heavy talent, but I was just thinking the other day how this years seems like a relatively good class of heavyweights.

I've been impressed with the videos I've seen of McMullan, Telford, and Lawson, and I've heard Evan Craig was very good when he wasn't busy getting pummeled by Telford. Anyway, Lawson is going the football route, but the others are wrestling. Telford would have been ideal. He has a huge frame and has the results. Sadly, he'll be going to Iowa.

With that said, I have very pleased with the interview you (or maybe it was on Flo) had with Max Gladstone. Seems to have a great attitude and he certainly has a great frame.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on April 5, 2010

Has anyone heard if tOSU is interested in Tyrell Fortune, Junior College 285 Champ? I saw his finals match and this guy can throw.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on April 6, 2010

"Has anyone heard if tOSU is interested in Tyrell Fortune, Junior College 285 Champ?"
----------------------------------

fortune yes --if he qualifies academically.

ohio st looking now for 285, they not gonna sit around and see if so & so eventually works out. its slim pickings compared to mid & lower wts, very slim. Most of the hwts AWN has ranked in the past don't pan out well in college compared to other wts.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on April 7, 2010

Well... As if he saw we were talking about it, Camp has put an end to this discussion.

He just committed to Rutgers to play football. Have to admit I really didn't think he would go the football route.

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2010/04/bound_brook_lb_andrew_campolat.html

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on April 7, 2010

yep, from reports Andrew Campolattano committed to Rutgers to play FOOTBALL.

I guess Ohio St. now focuses on Chris Phillips, Kenny Courts and Morgan McIntosh. Courts has told my contact that his #1 choice is Oklahoma State as of today, but Ohio St. is in the running. He is not a big Penn st guy. McIntosh likes Ohio st too.

Ohio st recruiting needs to step it up, Garcia out until 2011 is just the latest blow, that goes in the file with many other blows recruiting has taken lately. --as ive said often before, any Thomusseit regrets yet ??
How bout Sulzer ?? s/BobP

Ben Golden added to this discussion on April 7, 2010

Thanks for the insight on Courts, Bob.

At least Campo won't be wrestling at PSU.

Julie Thomas added to this discussion on April 7, 2010

Kenny Courts is very accomplished however has been plagued with reoccuring knee injuries on a regular basis. He doesn't do much in freestyle or greco. That's what I liked about Garcia and Camp. McIntosh does both styles. A little concerned about McIntoshes size. I think there may be too much of a log jam in the middle weights. Max T should have been one of our must get recruits. Sorry we didn't do better there.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next