Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Discussion Topic: I thought we were recruting Camp are we going to lose another one to Penn State?
Julie Thomas added to this discussion on March 30, 2010

Here is an article I found that says Camp's first choice is Penn State

CN Wrestler of the Year:
Andrew Campolattano,
Bound Brook

By HARRY FREZZA • STAFF WRITER • March 27,

Something happened to Andrew Campolattano last December 29 that he said will have an everlasting impact on him. After winning his 100th career bout
in the semifinals of the Bethlehem Holiday Wrestling Classic, the Bound Brook junior 189-pounder was beaten 7-2 by Blair Academy's Michael Evans.

His record stood at 100-1. His longtime objective of becoming New Jersey's first four-time unbeaten state champion was ruined.

The news of the loss bounced quickly around the Internet. The unbeatable had been stopped; the expected critiques rolled in from anonymous
posters. Campolattano said he didn't pay attention to any of it.

Two issues became very clear: He pledged to work harder and settle the debate of just where wrestling sits on his list of priorities.

Though the football-wrestling debate continues, many believe his best choice is on the mat. He became the 25th three-time New Jersey champion,
and his school's first. He is the Courier News Wrestler of the Year.

"I wasn't ready for him (Evans); I wasn't working out the way I should have been while he was getting ready," said Campolattano, Bound Brook's 17th state
champ.

The days after the loss to Evans were painful. "At first it took its toll on me; I think like it would on anybody," said Campolattano, now 131-1.

Next year, he will have the chance to become just the second New Jersey wrestler to win four state titles. Delbarton's Pat Grey won four from 2003-
2006. Campolattano has joined a precious few group of athletes from who so much is expected. His third state title? OK, but what's next?

"This offseason is going to be — I mean, it won't be just an offseason for next season, but to win a national title in college," he said. "I'll have to do
more work than I ever have — than I ever have."

Campolattano still considers football an important piece of the puzzle. He is still developing as a linebacker and running back. There are Division I
coaches who believe he could be a very good player, so much that at least one has offered him a scholarship.

As a wrestler? The list of Division I schools interested grows daily. Penn State is at the forefront.

"The uncertainty weighs on him," Bound Brook coach Kyle Franey said. "Being him is tough. So many people want to be around him. So many
different people trying to pull him in so many ways. He's a superstar in a sport where you don't have many."

Franey joked that Campolattano is an athletic "freak." The powerful and quick Campolattano has heavy hands, which constantly work on an opponent’s
head.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Discussion Topic: I thought we were recruting Camp are we going to lose another one to Penn State?
Mark Niemann added to this discussion on March 30, 2010

Wait 'til next year!

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on March 30, 2010

the good news is yes Julie, there is a Santa Claus-- the bad news is yes Ohio st probably "loses" Campo, but of course they never had him so it becomes an existentualistic question?? i cant even spell it so i know i cant debate it.

how bout Morgan McIntosh of Calvary Chapel Cal, won Flonationals Sunday, get a look at him ?? awesome 189, a bit short but for sure he has mega talent and power. Ohio St will recruit him too and the first one(s)to say yes gets the $$$ i imagine. Include Chris Phillips in that.

or maybe Ohio st comes to regret not jumpjng on Max Thomusseit ?? right now Ohio st might be thinking twice (or 3 or 4 times) about not recruiting Nick Sulzer too. s/BobP

Ben Golden added to this discussion on March 30, 2010

"The list of Division I schools interested grows daily. Penn State is at the forefront. "

I'll interpret that to mean that PSU is most interested in him. I'm not sure if that's much better, but at least it leaves the possibility that he's dying to go to tOSU but they just haven't had offered yet. In my vision, Cael is left jilted at the altar wondering, "but, but what went wrong?"

wrong interpretation, Ben--- Ohio st wants him very badly, and Campo knows it. i think Campo was here last Sept for the Ohio st vs S Cal football game on a unofficial visit.

Nicholas Sestito added to this discussion on March 30, 2010

Well we need to win these recruiting battles. Penn State has had free reign with the best wrestling state in the country and within easy distance through the best of the rest with Ohio, New Jersey and New York. We need to put up more of a fight to get these recruits, especially Camp, he's a beast.

Cael is a legend, no way around that, he will be formidable recruiting opponent. Ohio st will get their share, but odds are Cael wins more than he loses vs Ohio st head to head recruiting outside Ohio. At least until some of the shine wears off him, if it wears off at all.

interestingly, i think it was Ben Golden who questioned whether Brands coaching style during the regular season took too much out of his team for NCAAs-- for this year the stats say NO.

Iowa placed a total of 20 spots ABOVE their seeds at this years NCAA tourn, compared to Ohio st who placed at 7 spots BELOW their seeds.

of course these stats wouldnt include performance of unseeded wrestlers like Triggas of Ohio st who took 8th at 125 to the buckeyes credit --- but the seeding vs placing stats are still indicative for this year. s/BobP

Ben Golden added to this discussion on March 31, 2010

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"
interestingly, I think it was Ben Golden who questioned whether Brands coaching style during the regular season took too much out of his team for NCAAs-- for this year the stats say NO.

Iowa placed a total of 20 spots ABOVE their seeds at this years NCAA tourn, compared to Ohio st who placed at 7 spots BELOW their seeds.
"

Is this actually related to the discussion at all?

I don't remember arguing that point on here, but it's possible. What I do remember doing is providing the seeds vs. finishes from 2009 that you requested someone to post after someone else brought up the point.

I can't tell if you're just bringing this up to disagree with me or what, but I think we probably agree about NCAAs. Iowa showed up to wrestle big time. Couple that with the fact that tOSU, ISU, and Okie St. all generally underperformed and you get a DOMINANT (said in Tom Brands's voice) win for the Hawkeyes.

"wrong interpretation, Ben--- Ohio st wants him very badly, and Campo knows it. I think Campo was here last Sept for the Ohio st vs S Cal football game on a unofficial visit."

I figured as much, but I see no reason not to assume the best while the wrestlers remain uncommitted. Until they sign elsewhere, I'm operating under the assumption that 8 of the top 10 recruits for the class of 2011 are all headed to Ohio State. The rest of the top 20 will be distributed among Kent State, OU, and Notre Dame College. Also, all Ohio wrestlers will stay in-state for their collegiate careers.

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on March 31, 2010

Quote from Ben Golden's post:

"

"
interestingly, I think it was Ben Golden who questioned whether Brands coaching style during the regular season took too much out of his team for NCAAs-- for this year the stats say NO.

"

Is this actually related to the discussion at all?

I don't remember arguing that point on here, but it's possible. What I do remember doing is providing the seeds vs. finishes from 2009 that you requested someone to post after someone else brought up the point.

I can't tell if you're just bringing this up to disagree with me or what, but I think we probably agree about NCAAs. Iowa showed up to wrestle big time. Couple that with the fact that tOSU, ISU, and Okie St. all generally underperformed and you get a DOMINANT (said in Tom Brands's voice) win for the Hawkeyes."

Did Ohio State underperform or were they overrated?

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on March 31, 2010

Quote from Ben Golden's post:

"

"wrong interpretation, Ben--- Ohio st wants him very badly, and Campo knows it. I think Campo was here last Sept for the Ohio st vs S Cal football game on a unofficial visit."

I figured as much, but I see no reason not to assume the best while the wrestlers remain uncommitted. Until they sign elsewhere, I'm operating under the assumption that 8 of the top 10 recruits for the class of 2011 are all headed to Ohio State. The rest of the top 20 will be distributed among Kent State, OU, and Notre Dame College. Also, all Ohio wrestlers will stay in-state for their collegiate careers."

Ben: +1

Gary: If overrated, overrated by whom? A bunch of posters on an Ohio forum? Agreed.

If by the NCAA seed makers? That's on them... not us.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on March 31, 2010

Is this actually related to the discussion at all? I don't remember arguing that point on here, but it's possible. What I do remember doing is providing the seeds vs. finishes from 2009 that you requested someone to post after someone else brought up the point.

I can't tell if you're just bringing this up to disagree with me or what,
--------------------------------------------

no, no, no --- i merely saw these statistics in the latest WIN magazine last night and thought they were interesting.

i remembered someone- i thought it was you but it doesnt matter, no big deal, i wasnt making a big deal of it-- someone brought this point up about a week and a half ago, and i thought i'd insert this info tidbit in here for the general info of readers. Thats all.

It wouldnt be the first time someone has made an aside point in a thread. s/BobP

"

no, no, no --- I merely saw these statistics in the latest WIN magazine last night and thought they were interesting.

I remembered someone- I thought it was you but it doesnt matter, no big deal, I wasnt making a big deal of it-- someone brought this point up about a week and a half ago, and I thought I'd insert this info tidbit in here for the general info of readers. Thats all.

It wouldnt be the first time someone has made an aside point in a thread. s/BobP"

I see. Sorry if I took it wrong, it just seemed out of the blue so I didn't know why you'd be bringing it up.

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on April 1, 2010

I would love for the Bucks to score McIntosh. He may end up being better than Camp or Evans. Check it.
http://www.flowrestling.org/videos/coverage/view_video/235141-2010-flonationals/322932-189lbs-morgan-mcintosh-ca-vs-nick-miller-oh-senior

Nicholas Sestito added to this discussion on April 1, 2010

My God...Nick Mills looks waaaaay beefier than I remember in some of the other videos. No doubt though, McIntosh is one serious wrestler. Listening to that match, he had only suffered being taken down for the second time this year earlier in the tournament...ridiculous.

I thought I remember hearing rumors that Ohio State was looking into both Camp and McIntosh, but I believe Bob said he'd only heard information about Ohio State's interest in Camp.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next