Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: flonationals 2010
Bill Splete added to this discussion on March 29, 2010

I haven't read much so far. But had a few thoughts. Great idea, the people at walsh did a great job running the tourney. I love the fact that they let the kids by the mats. It wasn't the ironman...yet but it will be. The kids wrestled tough and wanted it. I think Ohio has to step up and get more guys there. It was a who's who in college coaches which says a lot for flo. If you were an underclassmen there people to see you and it was the main recruiter. There were state champs from many states, and they did very well, but I think If ohio puts more guys in the tourney we would do much better. This must continue. I do have one issue and it had nothing to do with the tourney or the competition, Please watch the 160 lbs final and give me your thoughts. It is not sitting well with me, your thoughts will help. I know conditioning was a factor, it seemed for a lot of kids, but what did you think of that aside. I don't want to bash anyone, I said what I wanted mat side. This is an important forum for me, because of the people and your opinions and it is a place to get things right, or agree to disagree either way you can trust what you say.

Please watch all the matches there are very tough guys, the raw nature and genuine intensity, coupled with the coaches, great job, it gives our community in Ohio a great name.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on March 29, 2010

Quote from Bill Splete's post:

"I haven't read much so far. But had a few thoughts. Great idea, the people at walsh did a great job running the tourney. I love the fact that they let the kids by the mats. It wasn't the ironman...yet but it will be. The kids wrestled tough and wanted it. I think Ohio has to step up and get more guys there. It was a who's who in college coaches which says a lot for flo. If you were an underclassmen there people to see you and it was the main recruiter. There were state champs from many states, and they did very well, but I think If ohio puts more guys in the tourney we would do much better. This must continue. I do have one issue and it had nothing to do with the tourney or the competition, Please watch the 160 lbs final and give me your thoughts. It is not sitting well with me, your thoughts will help. I know conditioning was a factor, it seemed for a lot of kids, but what did you think of that aside. I don't want to bash anyone, I said what I wanted mat side. This is an important forum for me, because of the people and your opinions and it is a place to get things right, or agree to disagree either way you can trust what you say.

Please watch all the matches there are very tough guys, the raw nature and genuine intensity, coupled with the coaches, great job, it gives our community in Ohio a great name."

Is there any site that has results? No video, just brackets and/or results.

Mark Adelman added to this discussion on March 29, 2010

http://www.sikorasoftsystems.com/

click on upcoming tournaments on the left and scroll down to FloNationals. Brackets are posted.

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on March 29, 2010

http://ohiowrestling.net

Ben Golden added to this discussion on March 29, 2010

I was pretty surprised that Ohio didn't have more guys competing. I think Michigan probably had more wrestlers than we did.

I see that Ian Miller was originally registered but didn't end up wrestling. Can anyone say anything on that?

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on March 29, 2010

"It wasn't the ironman...yet but it will be."
----------------------------------------

No it wont be, imo-- why not? for one thing its on same dates as NHSCA in Va Beach-- and neither event is gonna budge from that desirable date the weekend following NCAAs.

Ironman had 8 wrestlers consensus ranked # 1 this past season, count em eight: 112 Silver, 125 Stieber, 140 Villalonga, 145 & 152 both Alton brothers, 171 Chris Phillips, 189 Mike Evans and 285 McMullan. ---NHSCA and Flo combined didnt have 8, not even close.

hats off to Flo a nice tourn for it first year, an asset to NE Ohio, but of course the pre-event hype was way way too much. i know its the hype-age. i believe you do it first then if you were really that good and others think your event was that good, THEN you can boast a bit after its over.

i enjoyed my 2 days at Flo, saw some top kids i hadnt seen in folkstyle, and the tourn will be better next year because of word of mouth and its not as expensive as NHSCA tourn.

one stroke of genius, Flo employed RIDING TIME in all the matches, now that was interesting. s/BobP

Zebulin Miller added to this discussion on March 29, 2010

Ian missed multiple days of school due to illness and told me he was not ready. I support the decision, and I know it was the right one. I think some kids showed up this weekend and may have hurt their stock by not being prepared. Seth Thomas from Oregon and Jeff Ott from MA. They are better than they wrestled Thomas DNP and Ott 3rd after his prep national championship a month ago. I think it was due to their lack of prep or they may have been injured or sick, just not ready. Kids who made a huge jump in their stock was NY State Champion Gwiazdowski at 215 and 135 Shaffer of Derry, PA. I was impressed with the level of kids that showed, we in Ohio just did not get it done, I take some of the responsability, but I don't want to think people I am making money (because I lost 30 bucks as a matter of fact) on the event so I am not that shameless of a promoter. The event can only get better. The hype was due to a media website putting on the event, that's their job anyhow. If you noticed I did not really shoot any vids pumping the event up because I planned on coaching in it, when Ian got sick and did not feel comfortable it was then I helped with the videos.

160 match was a match of two halfs, first half belonged to Perry and second half to Coates. My guess is Perry has his best wrestling ahead of him and will be a sleeper in college, whoever gets him is getting a kid who will make an impact on the the NCAA/NAIA level with some coaching.

Grant McCormick added to this discussion on March 29, 2010

Bill,

Re: the 160 lbs final--

I thought it was a tough match that Perry could have run away with, but for 3 things:

1-the injury time on Perry's reversal from Coates' attempted lift;

2-the decision to try and ride with loose boots and low hips early in the 2nd rather than go back on feet and hit that sweep single to his left;

3-(most importantly) the fact that this was an after-season event seemed to reduce the fuel for Perry's fire. When the tank ran low, it appeared that he wanted to want it, but just couldn't muster the desire. I don't think he quit or slacked, simply that his heart wasn't as invested as his mind and body. The result was those 'dive shots' and lack of set-ups.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I've seen this happen at College opens a lot too. Not really a reflection on the kid, just a slip in focus and fire when they feel like they're just competing in a sport --as opposed to fighting in a fight.

► Add to the Discussion