Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: CISD-Critical Incident Stress Debriefing
Rex Holman added to this discussion on March 22, 2010

The end of another season and so much thought and emotion in response to it.

The Buckeyes finished Top 10, 3 AAs, and two more in the round of 12. Of their seeds, Triggas kicked arses and outperformed. It was unfortunate that Hump was on the same side as Dake. Lance did the best wrestling of his career and did beat Metcalf this season. Paddock did well this season. The 157 lb situation between Nemec and Jameson was painful as I wanted one of them to emerge as a star right away. The expectation was not met and maybe it was unrealistic.Colt is such a tough guy that it is painful to watch him to lose to guys with a better ground game. Rella improved but it was marginal, further emphasizing the difficulties and issues in adjusting to the collegiate game. At 197, Magrum wrestles hard and did a commendable job; he needs to add an offensive attacks from his feet, which should come with the addition of strength and knowledge. Corey did a nice job and showed glimmers of excellence during the season. However, he did his best wrestling midseason as opposed to at the end.

OSU finished second the last two years, which set the bar higher than a top ten finish, so anything less was going to be a disappointment. Mike Pucillo has already proven that he is one of the best in the country and struggles through this year with injury. Mike, performing in healthy condition, would have improved the Buckeyes team standing.

As fo the NCAAs, Metcalf looked like the crazy guy outside the bar at 3am wanting to kick somebody's arse after the semifinals

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 22, 2010

Rex: I appreciate your analysis. It's good to have someone that's "been there--done that" weigh in so that the rest of us have a better perspective. My only comment on Sponseller is that I feel terribly for him. I have no doubt that he works incredibly hard and has spent a lot of time trying to improve weaknesses. It has to be difficult for him to make such a grand effort and yet somehow fall short. His weight class saw some huge surprises at nationals. Reader and Marable were top six ranked all year; Colt worked his way into that position. None of them placed. Clearly the wrestlers that surprised were Caldwell and Amuchastegui. No one saw them coming.

Nikko Triggas would be probably be the subject of epic poems of tribute had Pucillo and Spons also placed. We would certainly be paying more attention to the great tourney he had. I wonder if some of his opponents overlooked him a bit? For whatever reason, he did the best wrestling of his career this past weekend. He will always have the honor of being an AA in D1 which is something that can never be taken away.

Reece Hump should have been second seed. But he also should have beaten Mike Thorn. So, he put himself into a bad spot by losing that match. Still, I have no idea what the committee was thinking. That said--he had a chance to beat Dake and it didn't happen. Finishing 3rd is often more impressive than second and certainly that is the case with Reece versus Marion.

I think that the soph. or junior Mike Pucillo beats Max Askren rather easily.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on March 22, 2010

I also feel for Colt. What can you say, reports say he had Amuchastegui's leg several times in the air in that match and failed to get the TD?? As for Reece, for me it came down to that one body lock where he couldn't quite break the 45 degree mark against Dake for back points when they came down to the mat. He was so, so close that it's painful. I heard him say in an interview that Dake was big, coming down to 141, while he was going up from 133. I couldn't tell it from my viewpoint but I'll take his word for it. I would have loved to see J Jaggers wrestle Dake, that would have been an interesting matchup with their scrambling styles. I also agree that the Pucillo from 2008 & 2009 beats Askren.

I feel bad for Colt and Mike at different levels. I have a sense of what they both went through this season. Not quite the same. IMO It comes down to either a lack of a skillset or injury.

I always felt horrible for guys that came up short when I was a coach. When you eat, sleep, and dream wrestling, losing hurts. There is a lot of truth to the cliche of bleeding it.

Mike Taylor added to this discussion on March 22, 2010

Quote from Rex Holman's post:

"I feel bad for Colt and Mike at different levels. I have a sense of what they both went through this season. Not quite the same. IMO It comes down to either a lack of a skillset or injury.

I always felt horrible for guys that came up short when I was a coach. When you eat, sleep, and dream wrestling, losing hurts. There is a lot of truth to the cliche of bleeding it."

I remember when I was at an OSU camp that Kevin Randelman was at back in the summer of 1993. He sounded similar to what you sound like now when he reflected back on the 1992 NCAAs and how he felt you were the best that year. It was apparent to all who were in attendance how happy he was for you that you won the title that year and how much he believed in you. That camp and KR's little sitdowns with anyone who wanted to listen were some great memories I've taken away from my time in the sport.

Mike-

Randleman was a big part of the equation for my success. He was a great drill and workout partner. I had to adapt against him and it made my wrestling evolve. In '92 it could have gone my way but I lacked a couple skillsets and it ended up costing me. You have to come complete otherwise your game will likely get exposed.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on March 23, 2010

It seems appropriate after a brutal season to have a debriefing.

I have a friend that I wrestled with in 8th grade by the name of Shandell Smoot, he and his family lived in UA for a year and then lived in Canton and went to GlenOak for a couple years before moving back to Utah. He became a state champion there. He contacted me before and after the the championships. His nephew is Kjar. He thought he peaked too early and did not wrestle his best at the NCAAs.

There are so many variables that go into a championship performance. Coaching and competing are truly art forms. They are as much as the finest paintings, but on a different canvas. It is an expression and it adds to the culture of society. There are good works of art and others which are not so much. It has it's own following and appreciation.

Nikko's performance at 125 was truly special when you consider the depth of that weight and the number of athletes who could be an AA on their best weekend.

Lance produced his best piece of work in the Big 10 Finals, Reece limited his artwork to a single style and did not push the boundaries of his canvas, however you can see the genius of his work in the area he chose to focus. Mikey was handicapped in his capacity to create great works this year. I guarantee that the courage and toughness you see today at the NCAA championships are of the highest form in a civilized society. It takes a unique connoisseur to appreciate.

Mike Taylor added to this discussion on March 23, 2010

It is a shame that Mikey P won't be recognized (except by those of us here on the message boards) for the courage and toughness it took to push through and accomplish what he did this year. I am certain that so many are completely unaware of what he's endured and chalked his season up as a "subpar" performance without understanding why he was not wrestling like himself.
One thing I loved about the interview done with Reece was that he focused a lot of his attention on guys like Troy Nickerson and Mikey P because he admired their toughness so much. He brought to light some of the things we would not know otherwise and reminded us that we need to applaud the intestinal fortitude of these young men (and others like them) and not just their wrestling talents.

► Add to the Discussion