Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: The GO LANCE support thread
Tom Elmer added to this discussion on March 20, 2010

An incredible wrestling career will end this evening. From a decorated schoolboy to a 4 time high school Ohio State Champion on the vaunted St Edward High School in Lakewood to one of the few 4 time NCAA All American wrestlers in The Ohio States history, I have enjoyed the ride watching in awe and amazement as a fan who has also had the privilege of getting to know him both on and off the mat.

I knew he was special the first time I saw him wrestle his freshman year as a 103 pounder in the Saint Eds gym when he pulled out a win as time expired in the third period against Travis Blasco from Blair. What should one expect from a young man who worked out with bears?The incredible strenght from dedicated training. The deadly Palmer power half usally leading to 6 points and a hurting shoulder for the opponent. The humble,well spoken young man off the mat and the assassin on it.

To win an NCAA title is an incredible accomplishment. Tonight he faces his nemesis Brett Metcalf after just beating him in the Big Ten Championships. He came close to winning once before at the NCAA championships the year Metcalf won his only title but had not beaten him in all the previous times they met until this year. ( Can we forget the disrespect spoken by Metcalf at last year's NCAA tournament about Lance? It made Mr. Caldwells undressing of Iowa's bad boy so much more enjoyable.) You learn some very hard lessons in this sport and one of those is just because someone is favored doesnt mean it is going to happen. That is why they wrestle the matches! You can never take any opponent for granted.

Metcalf will throw everything at Lance this evening but Lance can do it. We know it! We have seen it! We are pulling for him that he accomplishes the goal he has set since childhood: to become an NCAA Champion.

Regardless of what happens,I will never forget one of the best wrestlers and finest young men I have ever met in the over 30 years I have followed this great sport.

GO LANCE!!!!!

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Freddy Carr added to this discussion on March 20, 2010

Go Lance Go!

(cue the requisite post from the Michigan Man extolling his own amazing intelligence whilst pointing out the silliness of this thread)

Jack Muni added to this discussion on March 20, 2010

I'm actually hoping for more all-out scrambles, as I think Lance is better at it than Metcalf. Remember when Lance pinned pinned Dustin Schlatter after a good scramble? Metcalf seems more comfortable in classic wrestling positions, his defense is built around it, but get him in an all-out scramble, who knows what will happen. He has the master of scrambles as a coach in JJ. Thanks for 4 years of great memories, Lance!

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on March 20, 2010

I just realized I have a shirt that says "Go Lance Go" but for the cyclist which happens to be in Hawkeye colors. Very torn whether it should be worn or not.

Bill Watson added to this discussion on March 20, 2010

The "Go Lance Go" shirt in hawkeye colors, would be bittersweet if he won. Im assuming most Ohio faithful dislikes Iowa up there with ttun, and I would say its like wearing the Ann Arbor is a Wh&*@ t shirt in michigan colors.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 20, 2010

I'm very excited for Lance. He seems ready for the match which is the most important thing. I honestly don't know who will win but expect it to be as hard fought a finals as there has ever been.

Go Lance!

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on March 20, 2010

Lance is wrestling with a new level of confidence. He has a great shot to win tonight.

I know it's unpopular, but I really like Metcalf. He has had to deal with the death of his brother while in college, I would not wish this on anyone. Obviously I will be screaming for Palmer as I was two weeks ago, but either outcome will have a worthy champion.

(by the way, Metcalf's interview last night was priceless. Especially when the reporter said "you have me pumped up" and he responded "well, good." Great stuff.)

Jack Muni added to this discussion on March 20, 2010

I just hope whoever wins that's it's decisive. No questionable calls or buzzer beaters.

Don Mahon added to this discussion on March 20, 2010

Quote from Ethan Moore's post:

"Lance is wrestling with a new level of confidence. He has a great shot to win tonight.

I know it's unpopular, but I really like Metcalf. He has had to deal with the death of his brother while in college, I would not wish this on anyone. Obviously I will be screaming for Palmer as I was two weeks ago, but either outcome will have a worthy champion.

(by the way, Metcalf's interview last night was priceless. Especially when the reporter said "you have me pumped up" and he responded "well, good." Great stuff.)"

The neutral decision at the start of the 3rd was just brilliant. I knew it was game over.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 21, 2010

Metcalf had a great strategy and followed it perfectly. Get a fast TD and pick up riding time. I thought the ride he used was a blatant stall--inside wrist and torquing the near knee isn't a ride as much as a method of keeping someone flat--but the ref allowed it for a minute. I saw Lance tap the mat to get signal injury but the refs ignored it.

I don't blame Metcalf for using a smart ploy to win. I do think the ref has some "splaining" to do. Evidently, Tom Ryan and Lance Palmer were pretty ticked afterwards.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on March 21, 2010

What frustrated me the most was that was the same TD he's gotten Lance with many times before. You have to know it's coming. He defensed it better later in the match, but the damage was done by then. He got the 1 TD he needed. It reminded me of his last dual meet match with Metcalf. Dejavu all over again. I also didn't like what he did with the knee after that first TD. The camera work by ESPN was terrific and you could see how bad he was pulling the leg out away from the body.

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on March 21, 2010

I lost a lot of respect for Metcalf in that match. He just wrestles dirty a lot of times for no reason. This isn't the first time either. I just don't like him and it has nothing to do with him beating Palmer.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 21, 2010

Dan Ransick: Just for you. Please substitute the word "wrestling" for baseball.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWoD2sQ9LiU

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on March 21, 2010

Dan - where was the dirty wrestling from Metcalf? Just curious. And did you advocate Palmer's flexing while the match was being wrestled two weeks ago?

I didn't think Metcalf wrestled dirty at all, and I didn't have a problem with Lance's in-match celebration. I would think, though, that if you commend sportmanship you would have been critical of Palmer's actions last week.

My take on that match was it was two of the best wrestlers in the country trying to use every bit of strategy, strength, and energy they had to win. It was great theater.

Nicholas Sestito added to this discussion on March 21, 2010

He's referring to Metcalf flattening out Lance then torquing on the knee beginning around 1 minute, with a better angle seconds later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IWSrN3N_TY

► Add to the Discussion