Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: All-Americans from Ohio (High Schools or Colleges)
Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on March 19, 2010

Champion-Second place - 149 pounds: Lance Palmer - The Ohio State University
Third-Sixth place - 141 pounds: Reece Humphrey - The Ohio State University
Third-Sixth place - 133 pounds: Dan Mitcheff - Kent State University
Third-Sixth place - 141 pounds: Germane Lindsey - Ohio University
Seventh-Eighth place - 125 pounds: Nikko Triggas - The Ohio State University
Seventh-Eighth place - 184 pounds: Dustin Kilgore - Kent State University

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Rex Holman added to this discussion on March 20, 2010

Iowa had 8 AAs, 5 teams had 4 AAs, and 5 teams had 3.

Iowa State has 3 in the finals and no other AAs.

As with any other year, the tourney favors the fearless and is unforgiving to those with a flaw in their game.

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on March 20, 2010

Down year in Ohio in terms of AA's. Only 4 from the state. Ouch.

That pretty much sucks

Rex,

You can probably answer this question better than anyone.

Why do guys that are great in HS just don't pan out in college? I have always wondered that. Someone like Sponseller has fallen short against lesser competition continually at this tournament but yet on the biggest stage in HS came up big against Rohler.

On a positive note nice to Triggas cracking through and becoming an AA after ups and downs.

Dan-

Actually this question has been a meditation of sorts for the last two decades for me. It always comes up this time of year. I think I heard Quint Kucinich (sp?) ask it when talking with Jordan Leen.

College wrestling and High school wrestling are two similar beasts, but with enough differences to discriminate amongst athletes. A superstar in high school may graduates with enough holes (unaccounted for variables) in their game to make acclimation at the next level a very difficult proposition. If the fundamentals of their inadequacies are not addressed, then they will be subject to the weakness in their game and this can dog them their whole careers.

i.e. Colt Sponseller in three years he has not developed the level of expertise to become great at coming off bottom. It is recognized by his opponents or rather the coaches of his opponents and they proverbially stick it to him. He is adept on his feet, but that usually will only get you to the dance and from that point it is up to the luck of the draw.

I heard Jordan Leen mention it yesterday in reference about Dake being a three position wrestler. If you come complete, then you can take advantage of another's relative weakness.

So in a nutshell, it is an issue of development in terms of being complete, the opponent and their terms of completeness and who is better at creating the positions of engagement(strategy and methodology).

I wish someone had written that to me when I was an 18 y/o kid. Everyone says that you need to work hard. It is such an ambiguous, open ended and often ignorant comment.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 20, 2010

Rex: Do you think Sponseller would have benefited from a redshirt? What are your general feelings about redshirting?

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on March 20, 2010

Quote from Rex Holman's post:

" So in a nutshell, it is an issue of development in terms of being complete, the opponent and their terms of completeness and who is better at creating the positions of engagement(strategy and methodology)."

Rex, an "out of left field" (albeit sincere) question as it relates to Ohio wrestlers:

Do you think that in some part our superstars tend to not be as well developed in regard to mat wrestling because of a) a tactical emphasis on the "takedown/cut'em" approach at the high school level and/or b) a perception that our refs tend to call stalling in such a way that our high school wrestlers don't get adequate time to work on top/bottom mat wrestling?

Jack Muni added to this discussion on March 20, 2010

When I analyzed the Dake match I realized that Reece won the TD battle, but the other 2 aspects of wrestling (riding & escaping) he lost. Usually when you get the first TD in a tight match, the outcome should be 3-2. But because Reece wasn't comfortable with taking down, he chose neutral and couldn't count on an escape point. Dake, however, was confident in his ability to get out AND ride Reece, which became a huge advantage in OT.

Hank-

Let me say that I am glad you are not in the ER as I thought you might have had an aneurysm with both Colt and Pucillo losing in tha AA round. j/k

Colt's lack of preparation his freshman year was on the mat in terms of riding and escaping. Also, managing a season in terms of energy expenditure is tough for some freshman especially if the guy goes balls out each time out of the gate(my Colt analogy)

With a redshirt year, Colt would have been better from wrestling repeatedly through situations of top and bottom, but until something is specifically addressed and developed with a sincere focus on detail, it can be a position of repeat problem

In a redshirt year, the athlete should get 30+ matches *collegiate. The athlete should be getting video, feedback and the areas of difficulty should be addressed and corrected. Does this happen very often? No.

Typically Ohio wrestlers are average on mat skills. I believe there is less emphasis on it here and it is quite possible that refs evaluate it differently than other states. One thing about bottom that needs to be addressed is kinesthetic feedback. Until you know what your body can do off bottom or top, you are largely in the dark and unaware of your potential.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on March 20, 2010

Reece's margin of victory over Lindsey is further confirmation for me that the seeding committee at 141 screwed up. Still can't figure out how Parks was the 2 seed there. Reece should be getting ready for Dake NOW, not last night...

Congrats to Reece and Germaine.

Rex,

Thanks for the feedback makes perfect sense in regards to being a 3 position wrestler which it seems like a lot of guys are not but the ones that are you better watch out.

I expect to see great things from David Taylor and Logan Stieber next year.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 20, 2010

Rex: I appreciate the concern. Fortunately, there was a bottle of whiskey handy. I banged it against my head until passing out.

Bill Watson added to this discussion on March 20, 2010

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Rex: I appreciate the concern. Fortunately, there was a bottle of whiskey handy. I banged it against my head until passing out."

I hear if you drink the whiskey you may have less of a headache

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next