Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: If Wrestling Were A Mainstream Sport...
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 19, 2010

The media would have a field day second guessing the Bucks staff decision to allow Sponseller to choose bottom against Caldwell. Although Colt had not gotten a takedown in the first period against Caldwell, the Okie frosh had garnered a stall warning. If Colt takes neutral in the second period, odds are good he continues to apply pressure and either picks up a stall point or gets a takedown. Instead, he takes down. In college, bottom wrestling is perilous. If you're ridden for over a minute, you have to erase riding time. If you're ridden the whole period and then your opponent gets out, you're down two. What is Colt's best position? Repeat after me everybody: NEUTRAL. While I don't doubt that bottom was Colt's choice, it should be the last time this mistake is made. Simply put, the odds of his winning that match were much better if he had stayed neutral. Even if he doesn't score in the second period, then what happens. Caldwell chooses down. If Colt rides for a minute, he's up one. If Caldwell escapes sooner, he still has a lot of time to get a takedown---or get a stall point. Any way you look at it, Colt is better off in neutral because odds are better that good things will happen for him there.

Colt has a history of getting ridden in certain situations. Although he's generally good on bottom, he's not great at it. Keeping him on his feet gives him his best chance. I hope the staff has that one figured out. We'll see.

Tom Ryan is lucky that instead of the national media excoriating him for putting Sponseller on bottom, there's only me on this forum.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Rex Holman added to this discussion on March 19, 2010

That one was a tough loss. Colt's weakest position seems to be getting away off bottom. Go figure, someone exploited it to win a match.

Fred Feeney added to this discussion on March 19, 2010

Not commenting on this situation, I didn't see it, but...so many times when I am on the mat....I see a kid, or the corner, make a decision and I have to scratch my head thinking...."what are they thinking"?

More than not...it involves choosing the down position...right after they have just got ridden out.

For that very reason...I know ask the kid 2x....that he really wants the position he has stated.

This year...I had a kid tell me he wanted down..(didnt think it was the wisest move), showed the table, then all the sudden the corner wants to change the call. Cant change the call once the table has been notified...so the kid goes down and of course...he gets cradled and pinned. Oops

Bill Watson added to this discussion on March 19, 2010

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"The media would have a field day second guessing the Bucks staff decision to allow Sponseller to choose bottom against Caldwell. Although Colt had not gotten a takedown in the first period against Caldwell, the Okie frosh had garnered a stall warning. If Colt takes neutral in the second period, odds are good he continues to apply pressure and either picks up a stall point or gets a takedown. Instead, he takes down. In college, bottom wrestling is perilous. If you're ridden for over a minute, you have to erase riding time. If you're ridden the whole period and then your opponent gets out, you're down two. What is Colt's best position? Repeat after me everybody: NEUTRAL. While I don't doubt that bottom was Colt's choice, it should be the last time this mistake is made. Simply put, the odds of his winning that match were much better if he had stayed neutral. Even if he doesn't score in the second period, then what happens. Caldwell chooses down. If Colt rides for a minute, he's up one. If Caldwell escapes sooner, he still has a lot of time to get a takedown---or get a stall point. Any way you look at it, Colt is better off in neutral because odds are better that good things will happen for him there.

Colt has a history of getting ridden in certain situations. Although he's generally good on bottom, he's not great at it. Keeping him on his feet gives him his best chance. I hope the staff has that one figured out. We'll see.

Tom Ryan is lucky that instead of the national media excoriating him for putting Sponseller on bottom, there's only me on this forum."

Hank,
let's be fair in this situation. How did Colt beat morningstar? BOTTOM, He didn't do to bad agianst Howe there either, deductive reasoning tells one to go with what has been working. It just didn't work out. Maybe Coach Ryan feels Colt has to elevate his bottom game to win, not run from it. Wrestling teaches us life long lessons, and this could be one.
That said, you might be right, but you go with what got you there and in this case it was bottom, he got beat and now must wrestle through this.

I think other coaches are lucky not Coach Ryan

Hopefully tOSU and Kent both have two national titles.

► Add to the Discussion