Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Buckeyes Day One
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 18, 2010

Good News: Hump and Lance are still in the championship bracket.
Bad News: Everyone else in cons.
Good News: All still alive except Morrison.

Tomorrow's matchups:

Quarters: Palmer v Chamberlin
comment: Chamberlin just pulled a big upset but Lance will do what's necessary.

Quarters: Hump v Ciasulli
comment: Hump survived a tough matchup in the second rd with the short, strong Magrum. He very nearly lost. Good win for him. Ciasulli should be a bit easier.

Cons:
Triggas v Kjar--Kjar mauled him in Vegas. Tough match.
Paddock v Paulsen--I know nothing about this kid from Stanford.
Sponseller v Ross Tice--Tice is improved but not ready to pull this upset unless Colt has unraveled mentally.
Rella v Manuel--tough match.
Pucillo v Nick Palmieri--Iron Mike has already won two cons. He'll get his third win here.
Magrum v Burka--C.J. got a TF in his first cons and this one also appears winnable.

The Road To AA for Pucillo and Sponseller
Assuming Pucillo beats Palmieri he will need to win two cons to place top eight. The first match would be between the winner of David Erwin and Jerome Ward. Pray for Erwin to win. Ward beat Mike earlier this year and presents a difficult matchup. To AA, he'd then have to beat the loser of Clay Foster and Mike Cannon.

Sponseller has an easier road. Assuming he beats Tice, he'll get the winner of Kyle Bounds and Matt Kaylor. Then he'd have to beat the loser of Dan Vallimont and Amuchastegui (the Stanford wrestler that beat Marable first round). These are all eminently winnable bouts assuming the staff has learned their lesson about not putting him on bottom if there's no need.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 18, 2010

If Ohio State could somehow emerge from this tourney with 4 AA's it would be a major accomplishment. I have not mentioned the prospects of Rella, Triggas, Paddock and Magrum because they are not as likely as Pucillo and Sponseller to string together the necessary wins based upon how they performed this season. Doesn't mean they can't or won't do it.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 19, 2010

Kent has two in quarters--Kilgore and Mitcheff. Both have tough matchups in Maskren and Gomez. Hopefully they can get it done.

Mike Miller beats Pucillo then loses two straight. How bizarre.

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on March 19, 2010

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"If Ohio State could somehow emerge from this tourney with 4 AA's it would be a major accomplishment. I have not mentioned the prospects of Rella, Triggas, Paddock and Magrum because they are not as likely as Pucillo and Sponseller to string together the necessary wins based upon how they performed this season. Doesn't mean they can't or won't do it."

Hank, would four AA's have been considered a "major accomplishment" two days ago?

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 19, 2010

Yes. Who else would have placed?

Gary: Looking at the draws, it was likely Pucillo would have lost to Dergo in the second round thus moving him into the cons. So, he's where one would have expected. The surprise is Sponseller losing. Other than that, it's pretty much gone as expected. Indeed, Buckeye fans should be grateful that Hump squeezed out a tight 2nd rd win over Magrum.

I remember watching Mitch Clark win a very tight match against a tough opponent from Illinois in the quarters or semis his senior year. Match could have gone either way. Kids name was Herman. that proved to be his toughest bout. Jaggers hardest match last year looked to be in the quarters against ISU. He was losing early then got a stunning reversal, cradle and pin. The pressure of this tourney is amazing and that's why those kids that always seem to rise up and do well in it deserve the accolades.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on March 19, 2010

Hank-

It was Rob Neidlinger from PSU, who was good at wrestling Mitch's style; it was the quarters and Mitch squeaked out a win. He was a very good wrestler that lost his next match in the consolation quarterfinals and DNP. If I recall, Neidlinger was winning and just had to stall out to win but engaged and lost.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on March 19, 2010

Quote from Gary Sommers's post:

"

"If Ohio State could somehow emerge from this tourney with 4 AA's it would be a major accomplishment. I have not mentioned the prospects of Rella, Triggas, Paddock and Magrum because they are not as likely as Pucillo and Sponseller to string together the necessary wins based upon how they performed this season. Doesn't mean they can't or won't do it."

Hank, would four AA's have been considered a "major accomplishment" two days ago?"

I think it would because you didnt pick Triggas, Paddock, Rella, Magrum or Morrison to place. At least I didnt and wouldnt be suprised if Sponseller doesnt AA. Do you consider it an accomplishment?

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on March 19, 2010

Quote from James Kessen's post:

"

Quote from Gary Sommers's post:

"

Hank, would four AA's have been considered a "major accomplishment" two days ago?"

I think it would because you didnt pick Triggas, Paddock, Rella, Magrum or Morrison to place. At least I didnt and wouldnt be suprised if Sponseller doesnt AA. Do you consider it an accomplishment?"

It's fine. I was really just wondering if it was being put into some kind of context after a rough day yesterday.

► Add to the Discussion