Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2

Discussion Topic: Suggested Cuyahoga County All-Stars
Steve Lester added to this discussion on March 17, 2010

"Are you going to work with Brush's Disney team again this spring?"

I'm not associated.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Steve Lester added to this discussion on March 17, 2010

This thread has gone in an unexpected direction.

Trying to entice high school underclassmen into wrestling is, by and large, an inferior substitute for attracting and developing youngsters who are grade school age.

It's about attracting the young. And having resources for developing them.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on March 17, 2010

"To me, the simple point is when I can draw from an unlimited geographic territory it just stands to reason I can and should attract better incoming athletes than the schools and coaches limited in many cases to one zip code."

Gary: I don't think any reasonable person disagrees with this point.

"As far as knocking public schools, they are not all the same. Just as Chanel and Regina are not Ignatius or Beaumont, Shaker, Beachwood, and Hudson are not Maple and Shaw."

These are the exceptions and not the rule. Give me one urban school district that can hold a candle to any of the privates you mention. Cleveland, Akron, Canton, Massillon, Mansfield, Youngstown, Toledo, Columbus, Cincinnati, Dayton? None. Period. They are all school districts failing their kids.

"This thread has gone in an unexpected direction."

Absolutely true, Steve, but to challenge parents' choices in sending thier kids to Eds, Chanel, University School or some other private for wrestling when it logically follows that an ancillary benefit is a better education misses the point. I know you didn't challenge it but it is the elephant in the room about public education and this supposed nefarious system of sending a kid to private school.

Why in the world would someone send thier kid to Buchtel if their wrestling ability gets them into CVCA or University School? (note: this is a rhetorical question)

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on March 18, 2010

Quote from Roe Fox's post:

""To me, the simple point is when I can draw from an unlimited geographic territory it just stands to reason I can and should attract better incoming athletes than the schools and coaches limited in many cases to one zip code."

Gary: I don't think any reasonable person disagrees with this point.

"As far as knocking public schools, they are not all the same. Just as Chanel and Regina are not Ignatius or Beaumont, Shaker, Beachwood, and Hudson are not Maple and Shaw."

These are the exceptions and not the rule. Give me one urban school district that can hold a candle to any of the privates you mention. Cleveland, Akron, Canton, Massillon, Mansfield, Youngstown, Toledo, Columbus, Cincinnati, Dayton? None. Period. They are all school districts failing their kids.

"This thread has gone in an unexpected direction."

Absolutely true, Steve, but to challenge parents' choices in sending thier kids to Eds, Chanel, University School or some other private for wrestling when it logically follows that an ancillary benefit is a better education misses the point. I know you didn't challenge it but it is the elephant in the room about public education and this supposed nefarious system of sending a kid to private school.

Why in the world would someone send thier kid to Buchtel if their wrestling ability gets them into Cuyahoga Valley Christian Academy or University School? (note: this is a rhetorical question)"

Roe, perhaps you aren't but parts of your post imply that all of the kids who attend these schools come from Buchtel or other urban schools. That is FAR from the case. And you also, perhaps also unintended, appear to be saying that all of these athletes get sent to private and parochial schools for a better education and just happen to wind up with a better athletic program. Again, from the experience of having five children and seeing what others do, that is also far from the case.

There are variations to all this, but my point above is not the exception to the rule for many. I would much rather send my children to Westlake, Bay, Mayfield, Orange, Strongsville, West Geauga, Olmsted Falls, Cuyahoga Heights, Mentor, Shaker, Beachwood, Stow, Hudson, or Lakewood than Chanel, Trinity, Cleveland Central Catholic, Regina, Lutheran East, or VASJ in most cases. Most of the public school districts are better in most ways than most of the parochials. Sure you can compare inner city schools to US or Ignatius and make a valid point, but those are what are the exceptions to the rule.

Just the opinion of this writer. :)

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2