Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Suggested Cuyahoga County All-Stars
Steve Lester added to this discussion on March 15, 2010

Suggested Cuyahoga County All-Stars

Wrestler of the year-- Nick Sulzer
Freshman of the year-- Dean Heil
Coach of the year-- Graham Coghill, Chanel

1st team

103 Dean Heil, Lakewood St Edward
112 Kory Mines, Maple Heights
119 Jerome Robinson, Cleveland St Ignatius
125 Gus Sako, Lakewood St Edward
130 Jamie Clark, Lakewood St Edward
135 Mark Martin, Lakewood St Edward
140 Devon Range, Lyndhurst Brush
145 Anthony Salupo, Lakewood St Edward
152 Harrison Hightower, Hunting Valley University School
160 Nick Sulzer, Lakewood St Edward
171 Todd Gaydosh, Parma Padua
189 Chris Kelly, North Olmsted
215 Michael Samijlenko, Parma Normandy
285 Billy Vaughn, Brecksville

2nd team

103 George Dicamillo, Cleveland St Ignatius
112 Alex Dronzik, Beachwood
119 Collan Defronseca, Parma Padua
125 Andrew Romanchik, Parma Padua
130 Brent Fickel, Parma Padua
135 Francis Colarco, North Royalton
140 Connor Dempsey, Westlake
145 Kyle Roddy, Brecksville
152 David Habat, Cleveland St Ignatius
160 Brad Wukie, Hunting Valley University School
171 Tylan Coleman, Mayfield
189 Fred Robinson, Maple Heights
215 Spencer Willet, Brecksville
285 Greg Kuhar, Lakewood St Edward

Honorable mention
103 Aaron Assad, Bedford Chanel; Brandon Thompson, Solon
112 Anthony Collica, Solon; Edgar Bright, Lakewood St Edward
119 Matt Yurkovich, North Royalton; Mitch Baran, Brecksville
125 Tywon Claxton, Lyndhurst Brush; Alec Jacober, Beachwood; Jeremy Walden, Bedford Chanel
130 Mike Carlone, Mayfield; Mike Kovach, Bedford Chanel
135 Jim Dankle, Cuyahoga Heights; Nick Ramsay, Lakewood
140 Dan orrill, Bedford Chanel; Kyle Marrone, Parma
145 Jim Klosz, Parma Heights Holy Name; Zac Noernberg, Cuyahoga Heights
152 Kyle Swan, Strongsville; Cody Walters, Bedford Chanel
160 Josh Linden, Brecksville; Ken Trusnik, Bedford Chanel
171 Richard Dowdley, Cleveland Glenville; Phil Wellington, Cleveland Villa Angela-St Joseph
189 Irayel Williams, Cleveland Rhodes; Frank Viancourt, Parma Heights Holy Name
215 Ty Walz, Lakewood St Edward; Harlon Page Bay Village Bay
285 Greg Dailey, Independence; Brandon Kravec, Garfield Heights

33 of the 57 listed wresters are from public schools. Everyone would like to see a higher percentage from public schools*, but as addressed in another thread, public schools in Cuyahoga County are, in a host of ways, particularly challenged.

*EDIT-maybe I should say that it would be nice to see a wider representation from public schools (with more on the first team).

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on March 15, 2010

Quote from Steve Lester's post:

"Suggested Cuyahoga County All-Stars

1st team

2nd team

Honorable mention
125 Tywon Claxton, Lyndhurst Brush; Alec Jacober, Beachwood; Jeremy Walden, Bedford Chanel
171 Richard Dowdley, Cleveland Glenville; Phil Wellington, Cleveland Villa Angela-St Joseph

33 of the 57 listed wresters are from public schools. Everyone would like to see a higher percentage from public schools*, but as addressed in another thread, public schools in Cuyahoga County are, in a host of ways, particularly challenged.

*EDIT-maybe I should say that it would be nice to see a wider representation from public schools (with more on the first team)."

Personal opinion, and one probably not shared by many, limit the "coach of the year" to public school coaches with closed enrollment who have to teach the sport to the kids who live in the district and walk in the door the first day of practice. Not to guys who coach kids from multiple counties.

Heck, you probably could just retire the award and give it to Jaime Milkovich every year for what he is able to do in what that school district has become.

Does anyone ever wonder why, in most sports, coaches seldom go from a private or parochial school to a closed public? See Pat Diulus as the perfect example.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on March 15, 2010

Quote from Gary Sommers's post:

"

"Suggested Cuyahoga County All-Stars

1st team

2nd team

Honorable mention

*EDIT-maybe I should say that it would be nice to see a wider representation from public schools (with more on the first team)."

Personal opinion, and one probably not shared by many, limit the "coach of the year" to public school coaches with closed enrollment who have to teach the sport to the kids who live in the district and walk in the door the first day of practice. Not to guys who coach kids from multiple counties.

Heck, you probably could just retire the award and give it to Jaime Milkovich every year for what he is able to do in what that school district has become.

Does anyone ever wonder why, in most sports, coaches seldom go from a private or parochial school to a closed public? See Pat Diulus as the perfect example."

Must be nice to be a coach at a private school since you don't have know or do anything since all the kids on the team are already studs.

Must be nice to be a coach at a private school since you don't have know or do anything since all the kids on the team are already studs.[/quote]

I'm not going that far, but obviously it is a big advantage.

"Must be nice to be a coach at a private school since you don't have know or do anything since all the kids on the team are already studs."

I'm not going that far, but obviously it is a big advantage.[/quote]

Trust me I know I coached at Brooklyn for 4 years. But you still have to coach the kids and teach them the sport. I think the advantage is in the number of kids that come out year after year.

Quote from James Kessen's post:

"

"Must be nice to be a coach at a private school since you don't have know or do anything since all the kids on the team are already studs."

I'm not going that far, but obviously it is a big advantage."

Trust me I know I coached at Brooklyn for 4 years. But you still have to coach the kids and teach them the sport. I think the advantage is in the number of kids that come out year after year.[/quote]

Probably both number and quality. Dicamillo and Heil both walked into their HS wrestling rooms for the first time, as examples, MUCH better than most kids ever walked into Brooklyn's, or Bedford's, or Shaker's, or most other closed publics for their freshman seasons.

"

Quote from James Kessen's post:

"

I'm not going that far, but obviously it is a big advantage."

Trust me I know I coached at Brooklyn for 4 years. But you still have to coach the kids and teach them the sport. I think the advantage is in the number of kids that come out year after year."

Probably both number and quality. Dicamillo and Heil both walked into their HS wrestling rooms for the first time, as examples, MUCH better than most kids ever walked into Brooklyn's, or Bedford's, or Shaker's, or most other closed publics for their freshman seasons.[/quote]

Speaking of Heil I believe his dad was a state placer at Brooklyn and there are numerous kids that are from the Brooklyn area that went to private schools and it would of made my job easier if those kids would have come to Brooklyn however it would have been my job to make those kids better and and help them reach thier goals. Sometimes I think its tougher to teach those kids then it is a kid that has never wrestled. But in the end I would prefer an experienced kid over a non-experienced kid.

Steve Lester added to this discussion on March 16, 2010

One can certainly sympathize with these views. But, if only public school coaches are to be considered, then it should have to be for public-school-only all-star squads. Cuyahoga County has 50 schools that offer wrestling, give or take a couple--12 privates, 9 Cleveland public schools, and 29 suburban public schools. Schools represented in the list above break down to 7 privates, 2 Cleveland public, and 16 suburban public.

Eventhough having 25 of 50 schools represented, seems like a good percentage overall, the first and second teamers are in the majority from private schools.

The top youth wrestlers gravitate, with some exceptions, to the private schools, leaving public school coaches "roaming the halls" to bolster rosters.

How does that change?

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on March 16, 2010

"One can certainly sympathize with these views. But, if only public school coaches are to be considered, then it should have to be for public-school-only all-star squads. Cuyahoga County has 50 schools that offer wrestling, give or take a couple--12 privates, 9 Cleveland public schools, and 29 suburban public schools. Schools represented in the list above break down to 7 privates, 2 Cleveland public, and 16 suburban public.

Eventhough having 25 of 50 schools represented, seems like a good percentage overall, the first and second teamers are in the majority from private schools.

The top youth wrestlers gravitate, with some exceptions, to the private schools, leaving public school coaches "roaming the halls" to bolster rosters.

How does that change?"

Steve, it probably won't change. The only way it might, but not much of a chance of this in my opinion, is if families start caring more about their communities and wanting to foster that sense of community with their sons rather than just sending them to what they believe is the best wrestling situation. While sure wrestling is important to them, and I understand the hard work it requires, as long as wrestling and the limited (no) future it provides more the vast majority is more important to parents than "community" it won't change at all.

A lot of this started with Eds and the money Coach Ferguson threw at boys to come to his program, and has spread from there. At this point the train is off the tracks and might never get back on.

And I know that just considering closed public school coaches for such awards is not realistic and will never happen. My only point was, particularly in an individual sport where you don't even have to mold the boys into a unit to work together as in football or basketball, it is MUCH easier to coach and achieve with a team of accomplished youth wrestlers who are almost there as independent contractors than with the boys who walk in from the hallways for the first day of practice.

Steve Lester added to this discussion on March 16, 2010

"the boys who walk in from the hallways for the first day of practice."

Which is what I did. I had just finished a season of football, playing center, and thought I was tough. I was soon to learn what tough really meant.

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on March 16, 2010

""the boys who walk in from the hallways for the first day of practice."

Which is what I did. I had just finished a season of football, playing center, and thought I was tough. I was soon to learn what tough really meant."

Are you going to work with Brush's Disney team again this spring?

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on March 16, 2010

There is some grand stereotyping going on here. Tell the coaches at VASJ, Cleveland Central Catholic, Lake Ridge Academy (which doesn't have a wrestling team), Elyria Catholic, Hawken, et all, that all of their wrestlers come in experienced and talented. Just because St. Eds has set a crazy standard doesn't mean that life is like that for all private schools.

Look at University School's roster for this year. This is a team that has been in the top 10 in Division II at state for the last 7 years, I think. There were many forfeits up and down the lineup, some due to injury, others not. Not everybody is three deep at every weight.

"it is MUCH easier to coach and achieve with a team of accomplished youth wrestlers who are almost there as independent contractors than with the boys who walk in from the hallways for the first day of practice."

Gary, are you asserting that none of the above wrestlers attend these schools for academic reasons, family tradition, the environment, or a better alternative to their public schools. To call accomplished athletes independent contractors implies that the sport is the only draw of the school.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on March 17, 2010

Pat is right. There is no way to blame a parent or parents for sending there child for a better education simply because an important reason they go is sports. When the school districts and their bloated self important namby-pamby (couldn't think of a better term) administrations start performing better people won't transfer as much.

I don't know about where many of you live but in the cities (like where I went to school) safety is a major factor. IF I can avoid it no way any of my three girls go to Akron Public Schools.

I only think the line is crossed when the school actively recruits; otherwise, what parent wouldn't want the best education for thier child? My children are going to fall on MY sword to prove a point about territoriality? Not in a million years.

The schools won't get better just because a few athletes don't transfer. The public school system needs changed.

As a 31 year now-retired teacher and family friend told me, there are about 15% of the students that ruin education for everybody. He also was assualted by a student and both the county prosecutor's office and juvenile court did nothing. His shoulder injury is permanent. Absolutely pathetic.

Administrators are too afraid to do one of the things they probably need to do: get the criminals out of the schools and let the real students go to a safe place that supports the teachers and actually learn. It'll cost money and it will require taking some heat from some parents. Put together an alternative school for basic education for these students and get them help or get them out. I think the Cleveland super did this where he came from and wants to do it here.

Some other states have this. Most districts in Ohio do not. Crime in school is a major, if not the biggest, problem in municipal school districts.

See what happoens when I eat a good breakfast. Off my soapbox now.

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on March 17, 2010

Quote from Pat Costilow's post:

"There is some grand stereotyping going on here. Tell the coaches at VASJ, Cleveland Central Catholic, Lake Ridge Academy (which doesn't have a wrestling team), Elyria Catholic, Hawken, et all, that all of their wrestlers come in experienced and talented. Just because St. Eds has set a crazy standard doesn't mean that life is like that for all private schools.

Look at University School's roster for this year. This is a team that has been in the top 10 in Division II at state for the last 7 years, I think. There were many forfeits up and down the lineup, some due to injury, others not. Not everybody is three deep at every weight.

"it is MUCH easier to coach and achieve with a team of accomplished youth wrestlers who are almost there as independent contractors than with the boys who walk in from the hallways for the first day of practice."

Gary, are you asserting that none of the above wrestlers attend these schools for academic reasons, family tradition, the environment, or a better alternative to their public schools. To call accomplished athletes independent contractors implies that the sport is the only draw of the school."

"only draw"? No. But principle draw to many of them? Yes.

Sure Ignatius might be a better academic altenative for many, but Lake Catholic? Probably not. Chanel? Certainly not.

No, of course not everyone comes in that way at all private and parochial schools, just like not everyone comes in inexperienced at closed public schools. But this thread started out talking about all-star wrestling selections and coach of the year selections. So by that we are excluding the schools you mentioned and narrowing it to those schools that do recruit, yes recruit, at the top of the youth crop.

No disrespect to Coach Coghill, who was the chosen Coach of the Year that began this so this is why I use him, but let him go to Maple, let Jaime go to Chanel, and let's see how the fortunes of those two schools change.

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on March 17, 2010

Quote from Roe Fox's post:

"Pat is right. There is no way to blame a parent or parents for sending there child for a better education simply because an important reason they go is sports. When the school districts and their bloated self important namby-pamby (couldn't think of a better term) administrations start performing better people won't transfer as much.

I don't know about where many of you live but in the cities (like where I went to school) safety is a major factor. IF I can avoid it no way any of my three girls go to Akron Public Schools.

I only think the line is crossed when the school actively recruits; otherwise, what parent wouldn't want the best education for thier child? My children are going to fall on MY sword to prove a point about territoriality? Not in a million years.

The schools won't get better just because a few athletes don't transfer. The public school system needs changed.

As a 31 year now-retired teacher and family friend told me, there are about 15% of the students that ruin education for everybody. He also was assualted by a student and both the county prosecutor's office and juvenile court did nothing. His shoulder injury is permanent. Absolutely pathetic.

Administrators are too afraid to do one of the things they probably need to do: get the criminals out of the schools and let the real students go to a safe place that supports the teachers and actually learn. It'll cost money and it will require taking some heat from some parents. Put together an alternative school for basic education for these students and get them help or get them out. I think the Cleveland super did this where he came from and wants to do it here.

Some other states have this. Most districts in Ohio do not. Crime in school is a major, if not the biggest, problem in municipal school districts.

See what happoens when I eat a good breakfast. Off my soapbox now."

Roe, how many would find Chanel a better educational altenative than their public district? I am sure for some it is, but Chanel is FAR from a high-level academic school. Same with the girls who attend Regina for basketball. On the east side Regina is considered the alternative for girls who could not get into Beaumont or Gilmour. Those basketball players, by and large, are NOT going there for the education. Just watch how many follow Diulus wherever he goes next as proof of that.

To me, the simple point is when I can draw from an unlimited geographic territory it just stands to reason I can and should attract better incoming athletes than the schools and coaches limited in many cases to one zip code.

As far as why these athletes attend these schools, yes there are many reasons. But as the father of five who has seen and been around MANY parents of "future Hall of Famers" the athletic draw of some of these schools can be a HUGE reason why little Billy or Suzie wind up there. All? Of course not. But many? Absolutely.

Are parents free to send their children wherever they want for whatever reasons they have? Definitely. But let's not kid ourselves about this, and the effect it has on athletics.

As far as knocking public schools, they are not all the same. Just as Chanel and Regina are not Ignatius or Beaumont, Shaker, Beachwood, and Hudson are not Maple and Shaw.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next