Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: MAC Conference
Tim Courtad added to this discussion on March 12, 2010

27 National Qualifiers, with only six teams they rank 3rd or 4th overall conference per mount of teams and 6th overall with total qualifiers. Look for them to improve on this total next year. I like the way the new allocation is being awarded. The MAC has always had kids ranked in that 15 to 36 ranking with 5 or 6 All Americans. The problem is we use to only get 12 qualifiers. Now with the new system we should see an increase in All Americans. This forum talks a lot about Jaggers. If Jaggers would have wrestled like he did in a couple of the big ten tourneys, he would of never made it out of the MAC Tournament, and never given the chance to go for a national title because of one bad match at the MAC qualifier. You can see with the more kids you have at the dance the better chance you can have at increasing your All American count.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Grant Varnum added to this discussion on March 12, 2010

Wondering if you have any details as to why the beneficial change? I know that there has been a lot of talk about programs dropping wrestling, and just didnt know if the additional qualifiers from the MAC is a result of other conferences losing programs, or if there was a shift due to the fact that the MAC has been given more deserved respect at the expense of another conference?

Good to see - seems like not only just Kent State, but several other MAC schools, have really been making some noise. With additional qualifying potential, these schools will have another recruiting tool at their disposal as well, it would appear, which only bodes well for the future....

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 13, 2010

Actually, Jaggers was 3rd out of 11 in Big Tens both his junior and senior years. Keaton Anderson getting injured and defaulting to 6th--and then subsequently taking 6th in nation on one leg--would be a better example.

The MAC conference has Central Michigan to thank as that program's excellence guaranteed more conference qualifiers. NIU has had some good years and obviously Kent has emerged. OU appears poised to be the next power in the conference. Hopefully, they can continue to improve.

I do think it's good for wrestling to give more conferences more opportunities. Clearly this has not been a great year in the Big Ten either so it's not as if a lot of AA possibilities are not getting the chance to compete. Indeed, I wonder if we're seeing a slight shift in college wrestling with some Big Ten schools being out recruited by some of the ACC and MAC schools.

Wrestling's big problem at the moment is the demise of western college programs. An entire region of the country is being wiped out at the D1 level. How much longer will the PAC 10 hang on?

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on March 13, 2010

I think it's important for mid-majors and all areas of the nation to be represented at the nationals in our sport. Many from the big two conferences get frustrated when they see more bids going to the ACC, MAC, etc, but what is the alternative? More schools dropping wrestling as the struggle to stay relevant.

Having a coach be able to show the school administrators and athletic department that they had national qualifiers is important. So I am OK with the second place person from the SoCon or the 3rd place finisher of the ACC receiving a bid over the 7th or 8th place finisher in the Big Ten or fifth place finisher at the Big XII.

I feel the same way about the NCAA basketball tournament. Why not get a St.Marys in there instead of a UConn, Minnesota, etc. Do we need 7, 8, or 9 bids from the power conferences?

As a committed big ten fan who yells at the TV every January 1st, this has been a tough idea to embrace. But in the end, I believe more schools being represented helps the sport.

As to the MAC, they have always had very good kids stay home. The MAC tourament in the past has been excruciating for the wrestlers, parents, and fans. Look at 197 this year.... Four nationally relevant kids. In the past they get two, MAYBE three NQs from this group (at the sacrifice of other classes).This season they get 3, and I'm sure Cogar was on the short list. 133 is a great example, too. Tristen Deshazer stayed home this season. I think he won multiple matches at nationals last season.

Now the MAC needs AAs. I think they issue is that the MAC has a lot of position 12-30 guys, but not a lot of 1-8 guys, in the country. So it's difficult for the MAC when AAs is the measure of conference strenght.

Regardless, I like that you earn a slot. When the Big Ten reloads next season, they will still get their fair share. The Big Ten was just a little down this season with guys like Wright, Taylor, Russell, the 25 from NW (name is escaping me), etc on RS.

Fred Feeney added to this discussion on March 14, 2010

From my view, as a referee, the MAC Tournament was not a easy tournament to referee. With so much at stake from the very first match, each match was a barn burner, and I would bet that last weekend, there were not more than 2 pins if that and maybe the same amount of tech falls. Shows that there is some parity.

► Add to the Discussion