Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Discussion Topic: 2010 NCAA Brackets
Ben Golden added to this discussion on March 12, 2010

Quote from Al McIntosh's post:

"I'm pretty sure that Kyle Dake is the son of former Westlake high school and Kent State All-American Doug Dake (early- to- mid-80's). So there is some Ohio roots there, at least with his dad."

Well then he should have gone to Kent!

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 13, 2010

From the Cornell U website:
Personal
"Kyle D. Dake is the son of Doug and Jodi Dake and has a sister and a brother. Majoring in developmental sociology, Dake is enrolled in the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences."

I had no idea. Can't believe that this is the first time we're finding out that he is the son of a Cleveland area stud from the late 1970's.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on March 13, 2010

I remember having a media guide from Kent with Doug Dake and Ed DiFeo on it. I believe they were both AAs and Don Horning followed shortly thereafter. Former wrestlers typically get their sons into wrestling as it is usually a good fit.
Justin Kerber of Cornell is the son of Jeff Kerber, former NCAA champ at Iowa and Randy Lewis' sister.

Doug Brandt added to this discussion on March 15, 2010

Quote from Rex Holman's post:

"I remember having a media guide from Kent with Doug Dake and Ed DiFeo on it. I believe they were both AAs and Don Horning followed shortly thereafter. Former wrestlers typically get their sons into wrestling as it is usually a good fit.
Justin Kerber of Cornell is the son of Jeff Kerber, former NCAA champ at Iowa and Randy Lewis' sister."

Jeff Kerber never did win the NCAA's. An undefeated Iowa high school four-time state champion, he was a three-time All-American with the Hawkeyes:

1982: 6th
1983: 5th
1984: 6th

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on March 16, 2010

now about the Hawkeyes, on paper should win it BUT i hear 165 Morningstar torn ACL-- i'm not sold on Dennis at 133 he is overacheiver--- McDonogh very tough but 125 a true freshman & deep wt at the top --- Erekson very good 285 but 285 always unpredicatable --- Keddy not a great season (but neither has Pucillo). 141 Montell Marion could be 2nd or 7th.

i think the story will be a glimpse of the FUTURE-- OKLAHOMA ST young guns team in top 3, maybe 2nd. 133 Jordan Oliver just might win it, 184 Clayton Foster and 141 Jamal Parks in the hunt and i like 285 Rosholt to win it. A motherlode of young talent AND young talent coming in next Fall. s/BobP

Mike Taylor added to this discussion on March 16, 2010

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"now about the Hawkeyes, on paper should win it BUT I hear 165 Morningstar torn ACL-- I'm not sold on Dennis at 133 he is overacheiver--- McDonogh very tough but 125 a true freshman & deep wt at the top --- Erekson very good 285 but 285 always unpredicatable --- Keddy not a great season (but neither has Pucillo). 141 Montell Marion could be 2nd or 7th.

I think the story will be a glimpse of the FUTURE-- OKLAHOMA ST young guns team in top 3, maybe 2nd. 133 Jordan Oliver just might win it, 184 Clayton Foster and 141 Jamal Parks in the hunt and I like 285 Rosholt to win it. A motherlode of young talent AND young talent coming in next Fall. s/BobP"

Fortunately for Morningstar, it wasn't his shooting leg that was injured. Come to think of it, neither leg is his "shooting leg!" I'd be a little surprised if he can manage AA status. 165 is a tough enough weight class if you are healthy. Come in with a banged up wheel and things are only tougher. Personally, I like McDonogh to make the finals. I don't think he wins, but I think he makes it to the championship match. Dennis seems to have slipped a bit since the National Duals. Sure, he has that big win over Gomez (twice), but he just doesn't seem to be the same wrestler he was early on. Could we be seeing the same thing happening this year that happened last year? Iowa just seemed to be spent come NCAAs. I'm curious to see if the all out all the time mentality will impact the Hawkeyes this year. If it does, Tom will HAVE to revisit his philosophy.

"I'm curious to see if the all out all the time mentality will impact the Hawkeyes this year. If it does, Tom will HAVE to revisit his philosophy."
----------------------------------------

MikeT,
u say TomB re-visit philosphy if no win it, why??? Iowa has won 3 NCAA team titles in a row up to now---- and has a dual meet streak of over 70 straight wins, more than Gable ever had, why would Brands re-visit anything ???

u say McDonough finals 125? he is awfully good but a tough path to finals, thru Nickerson and Zach Sanders and James Nicholson. When he gets there Escobedo who handled him at Big Tens, or Robels will be waiting for him. s/BobP

Rex Holman added to this discussion on March 16, 2010

Doug-

I admit, I did not look up my facts and did it from recollection. Good way to misrepresent.

As for Iowa repeating, chances are very good, but I expect some of their guns to go down without AA beside their names. It has been a pattern over years past. A lot more parity at the NCAAs nowadays.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on March 16, 2010

"now about the Hawkeyes, on paper should win it BUT I hear 165 Morningstar torn ACL-- I'm not sold on Dennis at 133 he is overacheiver--- McDonogh very tough but 125 a true freshman & deep wt at the top --- Erekson very good 285 but 285 always unpredicatable --- Keddy not a great season (but neither has Pucillo). 141 Montell Marion could be 2nd or 7th.

I think the story will be a glimpse of the FUTURE-- OKLAHOMA ST young guns team in top 3, maybe 2nd. 133 Jordan Oliver just might win it, 184 Clayton Foster and 141 Jamal Parks in the hunt and I like 285 Rosholt to win it. A motherlode of young talent AND young talent coming in next Fall. s/BobP"

Small correction... McDonough is a RS frosh. He's really had an incredible season. He's majored Long and Sanders and hasn't really had many close matches. I have him beating Nickerson in the semis and losing to Escobedo in the finals. I think Nickerson is the better wrestler by a good bit but he's missed a ton of time this year with shoulder problems and I think McDonough will be very rough on that shoulder.

redshirt ok-- good logic Ben re McDonough, ive watched him too, u r right very tough. Could get to finals.

Mike Taylor added to this discussion on March 16, 2010

When I say he will have to change philosophy, I am looking at the fact that his wrestlers are burned out by NCAA time. Now, just because his team wins the title doesn't make his method the right one for the guys he has. If his method isn't getting the very best out of them (especially at the most crucial time), then it is important he re-evaluate his method. If his guys come out strong and perform up to their abilities, then this point will fall by the wayside. However, if he has AA level guys who aren't still wrestling on Saturday, then he needs to look at how he's dealing w/ the team and how to get the most out of them late in the season.
I look at Daniel Dennis as an example. To me, he seems to have slipped a bit. He just doesn't seem as intense as he was early on. Is he wearing down? I'm not sure.
That was my point w/ the re-evaluating his philosophy comment, Bob. Iowa style will always be the Iowa style, but how he keeps his kids fresh will have to change if they have another down NCAA tourney (even if they walk away w/ the title).

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on March 16, 2010

Mike - I hear you, but what tells you that Dennis is slipping? His defeat of defending champ Gomez at Big Tens?

I think Brands is the best coach in the country. Does he have the best talent? Probably. But he gets a ton out of them. Dennis, in fact, did not win a state title in Illinois. I would say he has been maxed out at the collegiate level by his coach.

He has also had kids follow him to Blacksburg, VA, and then to Iowa. I was one of the fans who thought all of them transferring was very unfortunate for Virginia Tech. Having said that, it shows a true commitment to Brands by his athletes, another sign of a superior coach and motivator.

I would also contend that if they walk away with the title, then it can't be considered a down tournament.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on March 16, 2010

Great stuff here from Kevin Jackson (from USA Wrestling YouTube site).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gx29yjAeqYo&feature=PlayList&p=A11BDA7D093544E0&index=1

Roe Fox added to this discussion on March 17, 2010

"feel sorry for Schlatter, hes hurt, may or may not be able to compete, he deserved better."

Schlatter does deserve better. Any updates on his status?

I agree with Ethan that anytime you walk away with the title is a good year but Mike has a point. Last year they eaked out the title with no champions from a team comprised of two top level recruiting classes.

This year a lot of guys expected to do better didn't. McD is certainly tough. Dennis is not wrestling as he has in the past or at least hitting the wall improvement wise. Just as possible Marion doesn't AA as he does. Metcalf has now gone from an absolutely unbeatable RS sophomore National Champ to 2nd last year to not winning the Big Ten this year. Iowa hasn't been able to find anybody in three years to even marginally compete at 157 despite the two recruiting classes. Morningstar is in a tough weight and now has injury so difficult to rate his improvement. Stats indicate he improved initially under Brands but has he from last year to this year? Borschel clearly is the big gun this year. Keddy is getting worse, at least statistically. Beatty to his defense has been injured but even if not would he have been top three or four? Erikson has had a good year after injury earlier.

Of course, all of these "concerns" are about a team likely to win a National Title again.

If the comparison is to past Iowa results under Gable I don't see it. Gable peaked everyone for Nationals like Ryan seems to be trying to do. Can the same be said for Brands? I think Mike's point is interesting.

Gable never let off the gas either but maybe its the WAY he did it. I couldn't begin to know that answer.

J.P. Barner added to this discussion on March 17, 2010

Seems like a specious argument re:Iowa - as one could make a similar case vis-a-vis OSU this year - is Hump better...what about Pucillo or Sponseller? Showing improvement from year to year when you are already at or near the top is hard to judge, don't you think? Basing your claim on a single match won or lost, when you can't accurately judge the physical condition of each wrestler at a given time...I just think, given Iowa's body of work, that saying Brands has been too hard on them or needs to adjust his approach is, at this time, too difficult an argument to make either way. Now if they really throw a stinker of a NCAA tourney...:)

My $.02.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next