Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Discussion Topic: 2010 NCAA Brackets
Rex Holman added to this discussion on March 11, 2010

Gary-

You are correct that it does play itself out all the time. It has a lot of themes in common with the multiple or one single division debate that raged on here a little while back.

The thing that strikes me is the quote that no cares what you did last year with regard to Pucillo and Miller matching up in the first round and the random computer generated draw. A random draw truly does not care or have human qualities.

Last edited by Rex Holman on March 11, 2010; edited 1 time in total

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on March 11, 2010

"Thank you for the education Bob. It does restore my faith, somewhat, in the selection committee."
---------------------------------------

MikeT,

yep, i understand since at Ironman we do it exact same way as NCAA does, and of course some people think its rigged but in truth its as fair as can be done. When u got only 12 seeded and another 21 unseeded at NCAA, odd things can & do happen.

at Ironman can be worse because in lower wts a seeded guy can catch a great freshman or soph right away because that kid is often unseeded --or maybe a high seed in the pigtail or in round 1 catches a California 7th placer who is unseeded but in a one class state like Calif he might be very tough.

And the top teams at Ironman do NOT want byes, they want to wr the pigtail round and get a pin, so often Blair or some team might think why did st Paris or whoever get more pigtail matches than we did?? but its all by computer program. None of us moves anyone purposely unless its to move, for example, 2 California kids away from each other, as a courtesy we don't want kids coming from Calif to meet each other right away. But someone at head table does that move, not me.

its just bad luck when a former NCAA runnerup like Mike Miller is unseeded, if he's healthy now thats just bad luck for his seeded opponent. s/BobP

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on March 11, 2010

imo, at # 4 Humphrey is right where he wants to be with the true freshman Dake at # 1, alot of pressure for a true freshman although Dake is legit. Dake might not get to the semis to meet Humprhey.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on March 11, 2010

Bob-

Agreed, I thought the same thing. Ripe for an upset or rather green.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 11, 2010

Rex and Bob: I believe both Max Askren and Zach Esposito were #1 seeds as true frosh and ended up not placing. It'll be interesting to see how Dake handles the pressure.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on March 11, 2010

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Rex and Bob: I believe both Max Askren and Zach Esposito were #1 seeds as true frosh and ended up not placing. It'll be interesting to see how Dake handles the pressure."

Maybe Kellen Russell, too?

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on March 11, 2010

Quote from Ben Golden's post:

"

"Rex and Bob: I believe both Max Askren and Zach Esposito were #1 seeds as true frosh and ended up not placing. It'll be interesting to see how Dake handles the pressure."

Maybe Kellen Russell, too?"

Is Dake a true freshman or is he a redshirted freshman?

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on March 11, 2010

Quote from James Kessen's post:

"

Quote from Ben Golden's post:

"

Maybe Kellen Russell, too?"

Is Dake a true freshman or is he a redshirted freshman?"

True

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on March 11, 2010

Dake reminds me a lot of Kellen Russell from Michigan in terms of great freshman year. I don't know it's a lot of pressure to handle and I'll take a senior like Humphrey who's been there done that a few times over Dake if they are to meet.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 11, 2010

Dake is more physical than either Russell or Esposito. He's a brute in terms of raw power.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on March 12, 2010

Watching Dake wrestle I don't see a freshman. His movement on his feet, ability to ride, and practice partners make him a legit 1 seed. Plus he seems to have a confidence when he wrestles that I envy. He attacks people.

Hank, I believe you posted earlier about Reece's match with Thorn. I watched that match waiting for Reece to crank it up. He seemed tentative for some reason.

My personal belief that if he attacks, he wins the title.

I don't think, however, that going through Dake is easier than Parks/Thorn.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 12, 2010

Ethan: Reece wrestled the perfect match--for Thorn. He allowed it to remain close and failed to apply pressure. Thorn didn't come close to scoring until that late shot. Reece didn't try hard to ride which came back to haunt him. Reece is good on top when he wants to be. What I'd also point out is that Reece gave up that single leg very easily. I've seen him counter well out of tougher situations. I think Reece was tentative and showed Thorn too much respect. He's six points better than Mike Thorn under normal circumstances.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on March 12, 2010

"I don't think, however, that going through Dake is easier than Parks/Thorn."
------------------------------------------

well if Humphrey cant beat the true freshman then he doesnt deserve the title, in that respect i think its a good seed for Reece-- but i think RH wins if they meet again.

i said Dake a "true" freshman previously, in fact AWN bumped Dake ahead of Collin Palmer at # 1 in our senior AA rankings last June, based on expert recommendation.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on March 12, 2010

feel sorry for Schlatter, hes hurt, may or may not be able to compete, he deserved better.

Al McIntosh added to this discussion on March 12, 2010

I'm pretty sure that Kyle Dake is the son of former Westlake high school and Kent State All-American Doug Dake (early- to- mid-80's). So there is some Ohio roots there, at least with his dad.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next