Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Discussion Topic: 2010 NCAA Brackets
Jim Kessen added to this discussion on March 11, 2010

2010 NCAA Brackets:
http://www.themat.com/events/2010D1Brackets.pdf

Palmer gets #1 seen but has Ruschell - Wisconsin #4 in the semis.

Pucillo gets Miller in rat-tail 2 finalist from a year ago in a rat-tail. The same person that put CVCA Chanel and C-Heights in the same sectional must have set this match up.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mike Taylor added to this discussion on March 11, 2010

Quote from James Kessen's post:

"2010 NCAA Brackets:
http://www.themat.com/events/2010D1Brackets.pdf

Palmer gets #1 seen but has Ruschell - Wisconsin #4 in the semis.

Pucillo gets Miller in rat-tail 2 finalist from a year ago in a rat-tail. The same person that put Cuyahoga Valley Christian Academy Chanel and C-Heights in the same sectional must have set this match up."

What's funny is I've been hearing (or reading would be more accurate) some Iowa folks claiming that the NCAA is trying to prevent Iowa or Iowa State from winning the NCAA title by placing them in the same half bracket more often than not. In their mind, it's a conspiracy. In my opinion, there is no bigger failure on the NCAA seeding committee's part than the Pucillo/Miller pigtail match. I simply don't understand it. It's not like a computer randomly drew these 2 names. Actual people who have the ability to think paired them together. Unreal!

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 11, 2010

Reece Humphrey splits with Kyle Dake and Mike Thorn but gets 4th seed. Parks and Thorn have five losses. I don't even begin to get it.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 11, 2010

How did I miss the fact that Cody Magrum got an at-large bid? Congrats to him.

OU--Lindsey and Ison--got some well deserved love as well.

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on March 11, 2010

Stinks for Seth Morton to have Palmer right off the bat.

Greg Debbe added to this discussion on March 11, 2010

I don't like the Pucillo/Miller matchup any more than anyone else but I don't consider this a failure on the people who did the seeding. Neither has a great record this year and last year's NCAA tournament results should have no bearing on how they are seeded for this year's tournament. If you want the respect come seeding time, demand it by your performance during the current season.

It looks to me like the rat-tails are random. It would make sense to me if it worked as follows:

1. If you are seeded, you get your spot in the bracket.

2. If you are not seeded, you are randomly placed into the bracket including the rat-tail match.

3. If you are in the rat-tail, your matchup is then randomly selected.

I think it is bad luck and could be possible no matter where Pucillo is seeded as long as Miller is not seeded.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on March 11, 2010

Quote from Greg Debbe's post:

"I don't like the Pucillo/Miller matchup any more than anyone else but I don't consider this a failure on the people who did the seeding. Neither has a great record this year and last year's NCAA tournament results should have no bearing on how they are seeded for this year's tournament. If you want the respect come seeding time, demand it by your performance during the current season.

It looks to me like the rat-tails are random. It would make sense to me if it worked as follows:

1. If you are seeded, you get your spot in the bracket.

2. If you are not seeded, you are randomly placed into the bracket including the rat-tail match.

3. If you are in the rat-tail, your matchup is then randomly selected.

I think it is bad luck and could be possible no matter where Pucillo is seeded as long as Miller is not seeded."

I know its not a great seed but Mike is the 10th seed and there are 4 other clusters that have non-seeded wrestlers wrestling each other.

Mark Palumbo added to this discussion on March 11, 2010

How is kilgore not the number 1 or 2 seed? is only loss was to Honeycutt, he laid a beat down on almost everyone he Wrestled this year. I'm just wondering about the logic. You have to beat the best to become the best, in some cases you have to beat them multiple times.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on March 11, 2010

Bracketology-The study of brackets and the possible match ups they create.

There are a finite number of scenarios involving winning and losing. As a coach you can already start to assess the situation and put match strategies together for the different wrestler that you are likely to face.

Some wrestlers have a way more difficult road to the finals or to become an AA than others. Take Mike Pucillo's situation, incredibly tough draw when you consider who his possible championship or consolation draws will likely be. This will be his toughest test to date out of 4 years when you consider personal adversity and the bracket.

Simply put, there are degrees of difficulty. It is kind of like the difference between an NAIA Champ versus a DI Champ. Corey Morrison beat NDC's Scales and did not get out of the conference tournament after getting through the rugged Big 10 schedule. At the end of the day, people unfamiliar with the sport will ask how'd you do? One guy gets to say he was a National Champ and the other gets to say I finished 7th in the Big 10.

It is just brutal and unforgiving. If nothing else, it gets you ready for life.

You hear he cliche go around that steel sharpens steel; which is true to a degree but, it can also blunt the crap out of it.

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on March 11, 2010

Quote from Rex Holman's post:

"Bracketology-The study of brackets and the possible match ups they create.

There are a finite number of scenarios involving winning and losing. As a coach you can already start to assess the situation and put match strategies together for the different wrestler that you are likely to face.

Some wrestlers have a way more difficult road to the finals or to become an AA than others. Take Mike Pucillo's situation, incredibly tough draw when you consider who his possible championship or consolation draws will likely be. This will be his toughest test to date out of 4 years when you consider personal adversity and the bracket.

Simply put, there are degrees of difficulty. It is kind of like the difference between an NAIA Champ versus a DI Champ. Corey Morrison beat NDC's Scales and did not get out of the conference tournament after getting through the rugged Big 10 schedule. At the end of the day, people unfamiliar with the sport will ask how'd you do? One guy gets to say he was a National Champ and the other gets to say I finished 7th in the Big 10.

It is just brutal and unforgiving. If nothing else, it gets you ready for life."

Rex, it is like this in many walks of sports. Some kid high jumps 6'4" and gets to say they are a state champ (D-3) and and another jumps 6'7" and can only say they were 6th (in D-1, of course).

I guess it is all about the choices that are made. I suppose Corey could have transferred to NDC and then been able to say he is a national runner-up, or perhaps even the champ. But my guess is he is happy that he stayed right where he is.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on March 11, 2010

"In my opinion, there is no bigger failure on the NCAA seeding committee's part than the Pucillo/Miller pigtail match. I simply don't understand it. It's not like a computer randomly drew these 2 names."
----------------------------------------

MikeT,
no failure-- it is random, since Pucillo # 10 seed and Miller unseeded, Miller went into random draw assigned by computer program and byes were assigned by computer program too.

we do same thing at Ironman, use a 64 man bracket since in most wts we have more than 32 kids. So once seeded wrestlers-- at Ironman we seed top 12 just like NCAAs--- and once seeded wrestlers are put in their designated places in the brackets then all the unseeded are randomly drawn in and byes are randomly assigned by computer too.

In that scenario a seeded wrestler can get a pigtail match just like any other wrestler. At Ironman, Logan Stieber has wrestled in the pigtail round, matter of fact. Unfortunately Mike Miller injured much of the season is unseeded so he goes in the random draw. s/BobP

Gary-

I was just further emphasizing the brutal nature of DI wrestling as it has me scratching my had some days; thinking that balance in life is more important than the one sided nature of DI athletics

Mike Taylor added to this discussion on March 11, 2010

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

""In my opinion, there is no bigger failure on the NCAA seeding committee's part than the Pucillo/Miller pigtail match. I simply don't understand it. It's not like a computer randomly drew these 2 names."
----------------------------------------

MikeT,
no failure-- it is random, since Pucillo # 10 seed and Miller unseeded, Miller went into random draw assigned by computer program and byes were assigned by computer program too.

we do same thing at Ironman, use a 64 man bracket since in most wts we have more than 32 kids. So once seeded wrestlers-- at Ironman we seed top 12 just like NCAAs--- and once seeded wrestlers are put in their designated places in the brackets then all the unseeded are randomly drawn in and byes are randomly assigned by computer too.

In that scenario a seeded wrestler can get a pigtail match just like any other wrestler. At Ironman, Logan Stieber has wrestled in the pigtail round, matter of fact. Unfortunately Mike Miller injured much of the season is unseeded so he goes in the random draw. s/BobP"

Thank you for the education Bob. It does restore my faith, somewhat, in the selection committee.

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on March 11, 2010

Quote from Rex Holman's post:

"Gary-

I was just further emphasizing the brutal nature of DI wrestling as it has me scratching my had some days; thinking that balance in life is more important than the one sided nature of DI athletics"

Rex, I understand. I was just piggybacking off of that to show that type of "phenomenon" happens a lot in sports, and probably other walks of life as well.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next