Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: TDR to Webcast NCAA Selection Special Tonight
Kevin Schlosser added to this discussion on March 10, 2010

In cooperation with the NCAA, Takedown Wrestling Media will host the first NCAA Championship Preview Special on radio and internet. The NCAA will announce 36 at-large selections to round out the field of 320 wrestlers who will compete at the 2010 NCAA Championships in Omaha, Neb.From California to Pennsylvania, Oklahoma to Minnesota, and everywhere in between, all things wrestling will be up for debate.

Tonight, March 10, from 7-10 p.m. (CST), from it's radio studios in Des Moines, Iowa, Takedown Wrestling Media will host the first NCAA Wrestling ChampionshipPreview Show live on-line at http://www.livesportsvideo.com/golive/goliveevents.asp?q=takedownradio

There will be a panel discussion between various members of the wrestling community and questions from fans will also be included. Send your questions now to wrestle1435@aol.com or you can call in to the show at 866-333-5966 or 515-284-5966

Scott Casber, from Takedown Wrestling Media, will host the show.
Scheduled guests include:
NCAA champions and Hall of Famers Wade Schalles and Nate Carr;
Brad Traviolia and Jim Gibbons from the Big Ten Network;
Steve Foster and Jeff Murphy from Takedown Wrestling Media;
Chad Wiltsey from theWrestlingtalk.com;
NCAA.com blogger and Oklahoma State radio analyst Roger Moore;
Jeff Byers from Penn State Radio;
Andrew Hipps from Intermatwrestle.com;
Kevin Schlosser of Buckeyewrestling.com;
Bryan Van Kley and Mike Finn from WIN Magazine; Jim Hochstrasser from the PAC and Gary Abbott from USA Wrestling and theMat.com will round out the panel.

Want to ask Schalles about “The Spladle?”
Have a question about Kenny Monday for Carr?
Finals of the Big 10, 12 or the MAC still got ya puzzled?
Maybe you want to discuss the 165-pound weight class in Omaha, this is the show for you.
What do the Buckeye's bring to the table?
What about the Hawkeyes?

This Wednesday you can be heard or just listen in to the first NCAA Championship Preview Special. You can also hang out in the chat room and talk with others, ask questions or just listen in as Britt Malinsky mans the room. Be a part of wrestling history with the first show of its kind, LIVE!

NCAA Championship Preview Special - Tonight, March 10th 2010 from 7 PM to 10 PM CST at: Takedownradio.com or http://www.livesportsvideo.com/golive/goliveevents.asp?q=takedownradio

I'll be representing BuckeyeWrestling.com on the show sometime between 830-900. I know I am going to be asked to talk about the Big Ten, MAC, Ohio State, Kent State, and Ohio. No idea how long I'll be on or if I will field any questions. Hope everyone tunes in.

http://www.buckeyewrestling.com/?q=node/35237

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on March 10, 2010

FYI - Ison and Lindsey both in.

Pretty cool, you can see the brackets announced online on the NCAA site.

http://www.NCAA.com/sports/m-wrestl/champpage/inc/div1/m-wrestl-div1-announcements.html

Palmer is the 1 seed! Pretty cool.

Kevin Schlosser added to this discussion on March 10, 2010

2010 NCAA Tournament Brackets are out

OSU got wild cards for Rella and Magrum
OU got wild cards for Lindsey and Ison

Akif Eren got a Wildcard at 133 for Purdue (Perrysburg HS?)

http://www.buckeyewrestling.com/?q=node/35238

How about the rat tail of Pucillo vs. Mike Miller - two returning NCAA finalists

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on March 10, 2010

I count 30 Ohio high school grads in the tournament - out of the 330. Best of luck and congrats!

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 10, 2010

I know that Reece lost in the Big Ten finals but have trouble understanding how a returning NCAA finalist ends up as 4th seed. Thorn has 5 losses; so does Parks. Yet they are 2nd and 3rd seed. I still think Reece should have been seeded second. Can someone explain?

Hank - I was thinking the same thing. This seems wrong to me. Didn't Marion from Iowa beat Parks in their dual? I believe so.

The frustrating thing for Reece is that he split with Thorn but the most recent result is a loss, and does have the loss to Dake.

Anyway, I can see him being seeded behind Thorn and Dake, but the seeding committee should have to explain him being seeded behind Parks. Parks has the following losses:

Farinella Missouri (who?) (he is 5-8 vs D1 comp)
Drouin ASU
Novachkov Cal Poly
Marion Iowa
Bailey Oklahoma

How is he seeded 2? Makes no sense to me.

Upon closer study I also noticed that Reece has wins over 3 people who beat Parks:

Novachkov
Bailey
Marion

This is criminal!

Mike Taylor added to this discussion on March 10, 2010

There seems to be little rhyme or reason to some of these rankings. I don't care what kind of season they are having, you should NEVER put two returning NCAA finalist against each other in a pigtail match none the less. A complete lack of respect towards both of these guys. I'm not saying you put them #1 or anything, but I refuse to believe they had no other choice than to put them against one another. Shameful.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on March 11, 2010

I do agree that Reece should be ranked higher (or, rather, Parks should be ranked lower). However, I don't really have a problem with his draw. I think he's the best man at the weight and I don't think he'll lose to Dake again.

Two people who seem to have tough draws to me are Sponseller and Pucillo.

As a #5 seed, Sponseller would likely have to beat Paul Young, Jon Reader, and Andrew Howe just to make the finals. The 6, 7, 10, and 11 seeds have significantly easier draws IMO.

Pucillo will have to walk an abominable gauntlet to make the finals.

He has a pigtail match with Mike Miller, then he has a guy I've never heard of. After that, he would have to beat Joe LeBlanc, John Dergo, and Dustin Kilgore to make the finals. That's about as tough of a draw as you can get.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on March 11, 2010

Marion crushed Parks in the dual. Anyone who saw that match only of Parks would have a hard time believing he is ranked in the top 10.

165 looks like the beast weight this year.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on March 11, 2010

184 and 285 are going to be very interesting to see how they play out.

At 157, Jesse Dong has a very nice draw.

Mike Taylor added to this discussion on March 11, 2010

I believe if (when) Mike gets past Miller in the pigtail match, that will give him the boost he needs to push through to at least the semis. If you can walk out there and beat a returning NCAA finalist in the very first match, that's going to do something for your confidence. Mike is the same wrestler who has made the last 2 NCAA finals appearances. The only difference (and I don't mean "only" as if it is an insignificant difference) is his confidence. My understanding is he has been battling health issues this year and that has taken a toll on his performance. That toll appears to have shaken his confidence. If he gets his swagger back by the 1st round of NCAAs, I like his chances. If there is ANYONE I'd put my money on to successfully walk the gauntlet he's been faced with, it's Mikey P.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 11, 2010

Seems like the seeding committee placed a huge emphasis on end of season conference results. Honestly, I'd probably still have seeded Metcalf #1 as he was more dominating against similar competition and split with Lance. Reece should be the 2 seed.

Pucillo got a horrid draw simply because the one guy you'd like to have seen him away from is Dergo. Mike Miller in the first round--wow. Not a good setup since Ohio fans would love to see both guys AA.

I like Rella's draw. If he can pull a first round upset over #3 seed Heinrichs, there's a good chance he can get to the quarters. I know Heinrichs is good but he's from the ACC and that's not the same thing as a tough wrestler from the Big Ten or Big Twelve.

157 and 174 are stocked with journeymen. Both weights are unimpressive relative to what one expects from AA caliber wrestlers. I also feel the same about 285. Really no dominant guys at the weight and I expect upsets will abound.

I'll be intrigued to see how Triggas does against Notte.

Colt is at a tough weight class. Reader--whom he might well see in the quarters--is a funny wrestler. He looks like a national champ some times. Then he just loses unexpectedly.
I
Generally speaking, the Buckeyes got tough draws. They pulled some upsets at Big Tens. That trend will need to continue.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on March 11, 2010

"157 and 174 are stocked with journeymen."

Hank: I agree but if seeding holds I am very much looking forward to Lewnes/Borschel. Maybe the best 1-2 seeds of the tournament.

► Add to the Discussion