Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: My Big Ten Tourney Thoughts
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 8, 2010

Lance's win helps obscure the fact that Ohio State had an otherwise disappointing Big Ten tournament. A fourth place finish for a team that won Vegas, was 3rd at National Duals and Big Ten dual runnerup "is not the standard." Having said that--Coach Ryan's squads have consistently wrestled below expectations at Big Tens and above expectations at Nationals. Hopefully, that can happen again.

125: Triggas--5th--good performance for him. He can be a point scorer at nationals. Still, the last time he pulled a big upset was when he beat Mark McKnight as a true frosh. His career has thus far been solid but undistinguished. Can he find another gear at nationals?

133: Ian Paddock--5th--he's done a terrific job and finished as high as could reasonably be expected. In terms of ability, he reminds me a lot of Reece Humphrey as a true frosh. Wouldn't surprise me to see him and Triggas competing next year for the starting spot at 133 even though I think he's a perfect candidate to redshirt. Tom Ryan does not care what I think.

141: Reece Humphrey--2nd--WTF? He can easily win the national title in two weeks if the Bucks just take my advice. Pull out a gun during his matches and point it at him. Tell him what he has to do and how much time he has until the shooting starts. He'll do it. Mike Thorn is terrific but Reece's passivity gave him the chance to win. Reece can score when he has to if he feels enough pressure. He can ride as well. Yesterday he did neither. Hopefully, it was the crap effort he needed to get out of his system.

149: Lance Palmer--1st. Palmer has been doing the best wrestling of his career since early January as veteran Buckeye watchers have noted. But, admittedly, I never thought he had the right skill set to pull the upset over Metcalf. Feels good to be wrong (happens all the time so no surprise to me). Was that an example of peaking too soon? Or is a sign of things to come? The one thing of which I'm certain is that Palmer v Metcalf in the National Finals would be the matchup of greatest interest to wrestling fans everywhere. Hopefully we get it.

157: Nemec--DNP. Kurt Kinser got upset first round and that destroyed an otherwise solid draw for Nemec. Even after losing first round to Kerr, he was in a good position to come back for 5th. Instead, he got Kinser and lost. Nemec has battled injuries all season and never got into a rhythm. His big ten tourney reflects his hard luck season as a whole. I think that Nemec's best wrestling is still in front of him and that his last two seasons can be outstanding.

165: Sponseller--2nd. Sponseller had one brief lapse yesterday and Howe made him pay. But that's what Howe does and why he's one of the best and most admired competitors in the country. Unlike the past two years, Colt had a good Big Ten tourney which bodes well for him at Nationals. Arguably the best wrestler in the nation not to have earned AA honors to this point in his career. Let's hope that distinction ends.

174: Rella--7th--not a good Big Ten tourney but he's a strong candidate to receive a wild card. He did not handle the pressure well of performing at Big Tens. Should he get an at-large bid, I think he'll relax and wrestle better at Nationals.

184: Pucillo--3rd--His 3rd place win over Erwin was encouraging. Pucillo is not 100% and I don't expect that's going to change. My hope for him is that he finishes top 8 one more time. That would make him a 4x AA, 2x NCAA finalist and 1x champ--a spectacular career.

197: Cody Magrum--8th. Not much was expected from him at Big Tens. He spent this season beating the "bums" and keeping it close against the better wrestlers. There's good upside here for Ohio State with improved power and better mat skills.

285: Corey Morrison--7th. He's the undersized, overachieving walk-on that was thrust into the lineup as a true frosh, took a terrible beating, but never wavered in his determination to help the squad. True student-athlete and first class person, he always lacked the size to be a 285 but the Bucks were never able to recruit anyone that could beat him out (and they tried repeatedly). He was good enough to start and win in D1 but never big or strong enough to break through against certain style opponents. Still, he had a better college wrestling career than most multiple state champs from high schools across the country simply because he never stopped trying to become a great wrestler. He's a classic example of that Teddy Roosevelt saying about how it's not the critic who counts but the one who makes the great effort regardless of outcome.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on March 8, 2010

to paraphrase Teddy Roosevelt's classic words, "Its not the critic who counts rather the credit goes to the man in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who knows the great devotion. If he fails while trying greatly knows his place shall never be with those timid and cold souls who know neither victory nor defeat."

Palmer gonna have to beat Ruschell again, i think 1 Metcalf, 2 Palmer, 3 Ruschel, 4 Terry.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on March 8, 2010

5 Buckeyes exceeded their seed.

Nemec and Morrison not finishing top 6 was disappointing. I figured Magrum was a long shot this year.

Lance's performance against Metcalf is huge. It could be shown on a Classics edition of great wrestling matches, much like what they do on ESPN Classics.

Colt's win against MStar was nice, wish I saw it.

Other wrestlers that I like to watch in the Big Ten are Jayson Ness, Mike Thorn and Dan Erekson. Ness is excellent from an overtie, Thorn is a funky aggressive type and Erekson's big move abilities for a big man are impressive.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on March 8, 2010

Quote from Rex Holman's post:

"
Colt's win against MStar was nice, wish I saw it. "

Part 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5W4Suy3OBA

Part 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1RtJGqdRl8

Jack Muni added to this discussion on March 8, 2010

Usually Colt is subdued after his matches, but he finally beat Morningstar and I think the emotion just came out at the edge of the mat at the end. I've never seen him so pumped. I think it was his way of saying "two can play that riding game." Lance kinda did the same thing to Rucshell at the end of their match. Had the last word, should we say...with an exclamation point added.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 9, 2010

I've assumed that Morrison had no chance at a wild card bid. But he qualified the weight class because of his in season performance. He may get one.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on March 9, 2010

Iowa down a bit with injuries to Morningstar and Beatty and Metcalf losing. Still top team though. ---Iowa State had a bad Big 12 tournament and also down a bit with Long losing and Reader losing. This means the other teams have somewhat of a chance.

The Schlatter injury also knocks back the Gophers a bit, so Ohio State can make another push for a top four with a good tournament.

heres hoping both Palmer and Pucillo become Ohio states 2nd & 3rd FOUR X AAs ever, the only one so far is Tommy Rowlands. s/BobP

► Add to the Discussion