Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: MAC Tournament - Day 1
Ethan Moore added to this discussion on March 6, 2010

From OU's perspective some great highs and some very tough losses.

Lindsey lost to McLemore (NIU) 6-4. Mclemore is just a phenomenal scrambler and used Lindsey's aggression against him. Germaine had him literally lifted off the ground several times and couldn't finish.

The other tough loss for OU and great win for KSU was Witt over Ison. Hopefully they can both get out.

Very bright spots for OU are 49 and 84 where Morton beat D'Alie and Purdue beat Miller. (Miller, the Ohio native, is just back from injury) Those are two upsets to reach the finals. Schuth is OU's other finalist.

Ramos, Lindsey, Tucker, and Ison are in for 3rd. Ramos lost on an illegal slam in the semis that I thought was suspect. He lifted and it appeared to me that Bishop attempted a mid air gramby and Ramos caught him on his back. The refs did not initially signal illegal slam, but then conferenced and awarded the point. I though Bishop was pinned. The blogger for CMU thought it was clean as well, but the refs did not.

Morton, Purdue, and Schuth have already qualified. Ison and Lindsey need to get 3rd and hope for WCs.

For Kent, a strong showing. Mitcheff gets his rematch with Sentes, which I believe he will win. Their other finalists are Witt, Kilgore, and Barlow.

Congrats to Witt on a great win over the very tough Ison. He used his length to gain advantage in several scrambles. He has a bright future.

Kent in general is a very, very good scrambling team. You have to scrap and claw to score once in on their legs.

For KSU, Opfer, Skonieczny, Tice, and Cogar are in for 3rd. I think the bummer for KSU is Shuster losing to Stella (who is very good) in the consi semis.

Mitcheff and Kilgore both are already in. Witt and Barlow should be in, barring losing a true-second match tomorrow. They're both in good shape. If Cogar gets 3rd, he's in, and still could very well get in even with a 4th.

Brackets:

http://www.cmuchippewas.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=46361&SPID=4196&DB_OEM_ID=10500&ATCLID=204901977

Team Scores:

Place Team Points
1 Central Michigan
2 Kent State
3 Buffalo
4 Ohio
5 Northern Illinois
6 Eastern Michigan

Kent and OU both beat Buffalo in a dual. They are having a strong showing.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Ben Golden added to this discussion on March 7, 2010

If Cathell was in for Kent, they would have a real shot at winning this. They could still do it, but Cathell's help would have been huge as he probably would have won it.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on March 7, 2010

KSU and OU results from finals.

Ramos fall Opfer in OT (Ramos 3, Opfer 4)

Mitcheff dominates Sentes 8-2 (Mitcheff 1st)

Lindsey dec Skonieczny 7-2 (Lindsey, Skonieczny 4)

Green dec Morton 3-2 (Morton 2)

Tucker dec Stella (Tucker 3)

Tice dec Ortman (Tice 3, I think he can wrestle Cannon for true 2nd)

Ison fall Buffalo (Ison 3rd)

Bennet TF Witt (Witt 2nd) (prediction Bennet will AA)

Kilgore MAJ Purdue (Prediction, Kilgore top 3)

Schuth dec Hamel (Schuth 1st)

Simaz dec Cogar (Cogar 4)

Barlow beats Trice, I didn't see the end of the match. Great win here.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on March 7, 2010

Ethan-

Any insight at 285, I see Trice Forfeited in true second match. Huge win for Barlow. Those MAC spots are few and I would not think that forfeiting would be something that coaches in short supply of spots would appreciate.

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on March 7, 2010

MAC qualified two at 285. Trice forfeiting gets Wade the "AQ". I guess Trice is hoping to be selected as a wild card. The cautionary tale is that there are only three wild cards across the country at 285. If Trice gets a wild card, then Central qualifies everyone.

Of course if Trice is legitimately hurt, then that's a different story.

Looking at things from a Kent, OU, and Ohio native perspective ...

Shuster is not getting a WC, which is a shame for Kent. Same with Cathell not being able to compete.

OU is hoping to get wild cards for some combo of Lindsey, Tucker, and/or Ison.

I don't see a realistic wild card hope for Kent - Cogar is their best shot, but let's not hold our breath.

McLemore and Lindsey are probably battling each other for a wild card. I know that Prater in the B10 is going to get one for sure, and there's I think five or six total. It will depend on the other conference tournaments. Lindsey had the better season, so it may be tough luck McLemore despite the head-to-head at MAC's.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on March 8, 2010

Josh-
Thanks. My motivation for Tice to wrestle were pretty transparent as I knew he was getting a WC and Corey Morrison's performance at the Big 10 does not ensure anything on his behalf. It goes back to the adage, You can't leave it up to someone else.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on March 9, 2010

Rex - I don't believe Trice was hurt, but I do think it's tough sledding to lose a triple OT match and then have to wrestle for true second an hour later. True second is a tough proposition, these matches are wrestled directly after the finals and the psychology of losing a finals match and then having to wrestle to protect second cannot be easy. Specifically when you consider the 3rd place finisher is thrilled to have the opportunity and most likely carrying positive momentum.

In addition, Wade is no picnic. He has many high quality wins over the course of the season. Perhaps Coach Borelli decided that a loss would have looked worse on the "At Large Entry" resume than a default.

Regardless, his body of work to me says he should be in no problem.

If the new qualification system does what it has set out to do, and rewards wrestlers for their body of work, Lindsey should be in without a doubt. He has several wins over ranked wrestlers this season, including top 5 Novachkov, his RPI is top 20, his coaches ranking is top 20, and his D1 winning percentage is above 75%. Not to mention he has several wins over auto qualifiers. The MAC should have had two slots there. Beebe is a 3X NQ who bumped to 41 mid season. Ironically, it may have been his loss to Skonieczny that cost him an AQ slot because I'm sure that impacted his rankings.

Ison has a legitimite shot as well. I would say Tucker's career is over.

Cogar to me has a good shot. That dude is tough to wrestle.

Kent will take 5-6.

OU will take 4-5.

Not too bad! Ohio will be represented very well.

Side note, Mitcheff and Kilgore are possible finalists. Kilgore is just a beast. He looks like a big 197 wrestling 184. Nothing fancy, just hard and strong. Mitcheff dismantled Sentes.

Josh - to your point on Shuster, that was a tough weight class. He had Deutsch in the semis, who was a NQ last season, and didn't wrestle well that match. He then had Andrew Stella from Buffalo, who is a tough hombre. Stella scored the deciding TD when Shuster was in on a strong leg attack and did a version of what I would call a cement mixer to get 2. Tough loss, but Shuster's future is very bright. This match was one of many where I thought the more aggressive wrestler lost because the defensive wrestler won an important scramble.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on March 10, 2010

Ethan-
Excellent analysis. Either way, I guess we find out tonight who is in.

Mark Palumbo added to this discussion on March 10, 2010

Why is the MAC the only conference in the country to do a true second? It made sense when they only took first place and some wild cards to the NCAA but if a weigh class has 3 qualifying spots or more there is no need for the true second. They should have only wrestled for a second place at 125, 141, 157, 165, 174 and 285 if needed by the way the bracket shakes out.

Are there any other conferences that do a true second? I did not think there were. How do they handel wild cards?

► Add to the Discussion