Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2

Discussion Topic: Eds V Wadworth
Gary Sommers added to this discussion on March 10, 2010

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"I watched Brad Squire lose his soph year in the state finals and came away very impressed. Even then, he had a great all-around skill set. He's a terrific pickup for a rising OU program.

No secret as to why public school wrestling programs in Cuyahoga County are down. As jobs/opportunities vacate, we're left with an ever increasing number of children that grow up in circumstances that produce crappy kids. Our socio-economic malaise has led to the weakening of what was once known as the "suburban hotbeds of Cleveland." The number of forfeits is staggering as is the list of once solid programs that are currently terrible. The only antidote is to have strong youth programs with good role models as coaches in the midst of these areas. Maple has hung on for that reason."

I completely agree, and particularly your explanation for "crappy kids". Though I must add that crappy kids are not just products of homes with job and opportunity issues, I see plenty in homes where the parents are economically doing well above average mainly because a lot of them don't' give a crap about their kids, particular in relation to how much they care about their careers.

Maple is hanging on because of a good youth program and because of Jaime Milkovich refusing to give in to what is happening around him. I have known Jaime since the 70s when we were basically kids, and have spoken with his cousin Dan about what Jaime endures there and how much he cares about that program. And it shows.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2