Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Discussion Topic: 2010 Big Ten Tournament
Rex Holman added to this discussion on March 13, 2010

Both guys are very good. I don't think Lewnes handles Borschel. I think it is toss up with advantage to Borschel. I think Borschel's leverage will play itself out on top and that may be the difference in the match.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Rex Holman added to this discussion on March 13, 2010

The other likely scenario that I see playing itself out is rather uneventful match with Lewnes scoring a td late in the match for a win. It will be highly strategic as both wrestlers are well coached and at the top of their collegiate wrestling game.

Don Bork added to this discussion on March 14, 2010

Your dead on with regard to Humps B10 finals match. He was not the aggressor in that match and did not attempt to create offense untill the last 25 seconds of each the first and second periods. At that point Thorn did not have to fight him off long to the end of those periods. At the end of the third Thorn made the late shot and converted. I hope Reece learned from that match so the same disappointment does not occur at nationals. Reece needs to score early and often.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 14, 2010

Don: I almost agree with you but would make one amendment. It's not that Reece has to score as much as he has to put his opponent more on the defensive. If Thorn had been forced to open up (stalling warning's will do it almost every time) because Reece had been more aggressive, then Reece probably scores a takedown and wins.

Don Bork added to this discussion on March 14, 2010

I agree, Hank, if Reece had been more aggressive he would have created more opportunity for himself, but within the first minute of that match I could see that he seemed to feel he could get his points late to win. But any match that is within a point or two late can end up going either way, and this one sure did. He won a 1-0 match at nationals last year against Ness, but if your plan going in to a match is to win that way, especially when your as athletic and explosive as Reece can be, your only making it easier for your opponent. Reece is to talented to go into a match with that as his strategy.

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on March 15, 2010

I just had time to watch the Big Ten Finals this weekend. The Palmer match was great to watch. I love the look on Palmer's face when he has Metcalf on his back. He's almost loooking around the arena with this grin that says, "You see this, huh, you see this? Who's your daddy?." What a confidence booster going into nationals. I hope this propels hing to the title.

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on March 15, 2010

Quote from Patrick Campbell's post:

"I just had time to watch the Big Ten Finals this weekend. The Palmer match was great to watch. I love the look on Palmer's face when he has Metcalf on his back. He's almost loooking around the arena with this grin that says, "You see this, huh, you see this? Who's your daddy?." What a confidence booster going into nationals. I hope this propels hing to the title."

You OSU honks crack me up. LOL

I guess that explains why he didn't finish the pin. Too busy mugging for the crowd? :)

Roe Fox added to this discussion on March 15, 2010

Quote from Gary Sommers's post:

"

"I just had time to watch the Big Ten Finals this weekend. The Palmer match was great to watch. I love the look on Palmer's face when he has Metcalf on his back. He's almost loooking around the arena with this grin that says, "You see this, huh, you see this? Who's your daddy?." What a confidence booster going into nationals. I hope this propels hing to the title."

I guess that explains why he didn't finish the pin. Too busy mugging for the crowd? :)"

Actually Gary I agree with you after I watched it the second time. Looks like he let go of an arm early to raise his hand. Probably felt good to finally beat him.

Still, a superbly wrestled match by Palmer. His composure during the last scramble so he could get the two and backs was fantastic,especailly the way he looked at -- and listened to -- Ryan and Heskett who knew immedately which way they wanted him to turn and what he needed to do with the leg.

He also showed great patience in the second, particulary when he got high with the boots in. Thought Metcalf was going to get a reversal and only ended with the escape (after I believe Palmer had established riding time).

I still wouldn't bet against Metcalf at Nationals but Palmer and Caldwell have shown there are two ways to beat him.

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on March 15, 2010

Quote from Roe Fox's post:

"

Quote from Gary Sommers's post:

"

I guess that explains why he didn't finish the pin. Too busy mugging for the crowd? :)"

Actually Gary I agree with you after I watched it the second time. Looks like he let go of an arm early to raise his hand. Probably felt good to finally beat him.

Still, a superbly wrestled match by Palmer. His composure during the last scramble so he could get the two and backs was fantastic,especailly the way he looked at -- and listened to -- Ryan and Heskett who knew immedately which way they wanted him to turn and what he needed to do with the leg.

He also showed great patience in the second, particulary when he got high with the boots in. Thought Metcalf was going to get a reversal and only ended with the escape (after I believe Palmer had established riding time).

I still wouldn't bet against Metcalf at Nationals but Palmer and Caldwell have shown there are two ways to beat him."

Roe, I was just messing with the Ohio State faithful. It was a great job by Palmer.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6