Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Discussion Topic: 2010 Big Ten Tournament
Jack Muni added to this discussion on March 8, 2010

I think both Metcalf and Kyle Ruschell will get put on the opposite side of the brackets from Lance, which will be nice.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Ben Golden added to this discussion on March 8, 2010

Quote from Jack Muni's post:

"I think both Metcalf and Kyle Ruschell will get put on the opposite side of the brackets from Lance, which will be nice."

Indeed. Kyle Terry could give him a pretty good match, though. On the other hand, it's not a certainty that Lance gets the #1 seed. I think he will, but wouldn't be surprised if they still gave it to Metcalf.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 8, 2010

It's Monday morning and I'm more amazed today with Lance's win. Metcalf is the most dominant wrestler on the best team in college. I knew Lance could keep it close but wasn't confident he'd ever find a way to win.

Here's what I noticed:
1) Lance's great single leg defense seemed to send a message about not being intimidated. Although Metcalf did finish, Palmer won the mental battle on that exchange.

2) Lance rode Metcalf for over a minute. It shocked me because Metcalf has always been able to explode out from bottom off a whistle.

3) Palmer hit two granbys and both resulted in points. The first led to the out of bounds/locking hands situation (should have been one for escape but the locking hands served the same purpose). The second put Palmer in the winning scramble situation.

When I picked up the Plain Dealer this morning, there was no mention of this win. I'm going to email the sports editor this morning to complain about their lack of coverage of Palmer over Metcalf as well as their failure to give more press to NDC's national title.

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on March 8, 2010

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"It's Monday morning and I'm more amazed today with Lance's win. Metcalf is the most dominant wrestler on the best team in college. I knew Lance could keep it close but wasn't confident he'd ever find a way to win.

Here's what I noticed:
1) Lance's great single leg defense seemed to send a message about not being intimidated. Although Metcalf did finish, Palmer won the mental battle on that exchange.

2) Lance rode Metcalf for over a minute. It shocked me because Metcalf has always been able to explode out from bottom off a whistle.

3) Palmer hit two granbys and both resulted in points. The first led to the out of bounds/locking hands situation (should have been one for escape but the locking hands served the same purpose). The second put Palmer in the winning scramble situation.

When I picked up the Plain Dealer this morning, there was no mention of this win. I'm going to email the sports editor this morning to complain about their lack of coverage of Palmer over Metcalf as well as their failure to give more press to NDC's national title."

Hank, you must remember we now live in a one-paper town. Hence, they can cover what they want when they want and we don't get many choices. Except I do prefer the News-Herald, which has an excellent sports page.

As far as NDC, also remember they won NAIA, which most in this town cannot spell (lol) much less know what it stands for. So that might very well be a reason why there was not as much coverage as you would like either, though I thought I did see an article about the championship in the PD this weekend so I am not sure how much coverage you are looking for.

Quote from Ben Golden's post:

"

Quote from Jack Muni's post:

"I think both Metcalf and Kyle Ruschell will get put on the opposite side of the brackets from Lance, which will be nice."

Indeed. Kyle Terry could give him a pretty good match, though. On the other hand, it's not a certainty that Lance gets the #1 seed. I think he will, but wouldn't be surprised if they still gave it to Metcalf."

Unless there are seeding rules that give priority to the league champ, I would think Metcalf's body of work over Palmer should and might mean something.

Quote from Gary Sommers's post:

"
Unless there are seeding rules that give priority to the league champ, I would think Metcalf's body of work over Palmer should and might mean something."

This season, their record is 1-1, so Metcalf's body of work shouldn't do to much for him. Metcalf might have an edge because Palmer has another loss to Ruschell, but Palmer avenged that loss this weekend and is the Big 10 champ.

Quote from Ben Golden's post:

"

Quote from Gary Sommers's post:

"
Unless there are seeding rules that give priority to the league champ, I would think Metcalf's body of work over Palmer should and might mean something."

This season, their record is 1-1, so Metcalf's body of work shouldn't do to much for him. Metcalf might have an edge because Palmer has another loss to Ruschell, but Palmer avenged that loss this weekend and is the Big 10 champ."

Assuming they only look at this year, and that might very well be the case, then perhaps there would be no edge.

If they go further back of course the story would be different.

Kevin Schlosser added to this discussion on March 8, 2010

April interviewed Tom Ryan after the Big Ten Tournament on Sunday.

http://www.buckeyewrestling.com/?q=node/35118

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on March 8, 2010

"Metcalf is the most dominant wrestler on the best team in college."
-----------------------------

the guy i have liked best is Iowa 174 Borschell, AWN is the only pub to have him # 1, everyone else likes Lewnes. A leech on top, u cant take bottom on him and he is very physical, relentless.

the NCAA seeds will be 1 Metcalf, 2 Palmer, 3 Ruschel, 4 Terry. Palmer will have to beat Ruschell again.

i see 2 Ohio boys are ACC champs for Virginia Tech, 149 Brian Stephens from st Paris and 157 Jesse Dong from Westerville North. i think Hightower and Ty Mitch are both going to Virginia Tech too, Kevin Dresser knows Ohio.

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

""Metcalf is the most dominant wrestler on the best team in college."
-----------------------------

the guy I have liked best is Iowa 174 Borschell, AWN is the only pub to have him # 1, everyone else likes Lewnes. A leech on top, u cant take bottom on him and he is very physical, relentless.
"

I'm one that thinks Lewnes will beat Borschell, though they have both had fantastic seasons.

Here are some of his quality wins:
Mack Lewnes Tech Mike Letts (Maryland) 18-3
Mack Lewnes Dec Mike Letts (Maryland) 6-1
Mack Lewnes Tech Luke Rebertus (Navy) 18-1
Mack Lewnes Dec Jeff James (Oklahoma) 7-3
Mack Lewnes Dec Stephen Dwyer (Nebraska) 5-3
Mack Lewnes Fall Phil Moricone (Edinboro) 6:27
Mack Lewnes Fall Bagna Tovuujav (George Mason) 6:22
Mack Lewnes Dec Chris Henrich (Virginia) 6-1
Mack Lewnes Dec David Rella (Ohio State) 9-4
Mack Lewnes Maj Dorian Henderson (Missouri) 11-1
Mack Lewnes Dec Mike Letts (Maryland) 8-2
Mack Lewnes Dec Robert Hamlin (Lehigh) 3-2

He hasn't been taken down all year. Sponseller was unable to wear him out last year and he's not cutting as much this year. He's very good from all three positions.

Lewnes # 1 last year i believe but was 2 & out at NCAA, maybe 3 and out--- yes i know thats last year.

Lewnes an Ironman champ-- he and Rella three matches senior year, all one point decisions, Rella winning one and barely losing two.

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"Lewnes # 1 last year I believe but was 2 & out at NCAA, maybe 3 and out--- yes I know thats last year.

Lewnes an Ironman champ-- he and Rella three matches senior year, all one point decisions, Rella winning one and barely losing two."

You're right about Lewnes going 0-2--I wouldn't bet on it again though.

Anyway, your opinion that Borschel will win is perfectly legitimate and there are plenty who would agree with you. The guy can score from any position. It should be a heck of a final (assuming it happens).

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 8, 2010

My opinions--Metcalf is a better pure wrestler than Borschell--much better. Also, Mack Lewnes will handle Borschell.

i gotta go the other way on this one, yes perhaps Metcalf a better "pure wrestler", but Borschel a beast on top which counts for an awful lot in the college game. And Borschel gives up very very few points.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on March 13, 2010

Metcalf sets the highest pace in college wrestling. His setups come at the opponent fast and furious which leaves the opponent no other choice but to defend. Borschel is workmanlike and is highly developed but his pace is not near that of Metcalf. Metcalf can give the impression of invincibility because he attacks so much that his opponents are literally on their heels the whole time. Palmer riding Metcalf slows him down. The Iowa coaches get frustrated because no one can or wants to wrestle at Metcalf's pace and are literally defending everything that is thrown at them which gives the appearance of stalling.

Wrestlers develop an understanding of what their opponent is doing with each match. Coaches can identify qualities to the opponent and prepare accordingly to give them the best opportunity for success.

Humphrey v Thorn was an illustration of that principle. Thorn wrestled smart. He limited the engagement. He knew ahead of time that he could not give up the deep attack and that he would have to counterdefend/attack immediately upon Hump hitting his stuff. Thorn won the position battle and did some nifty time aided scrambling. Palmer v. Metcalf, another example. Lance created some nifty scrambles.

Last edited by Rex Holman on March 13, 2010; edited 1 time in total

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next