Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: God Bless Pat Galbincea
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 3, 2010

Pat had a "swan song" article in today's Plain Dealer regarding his best state meet memories. Read the article and tell me what leaps out at you.

http://highschoolsports.cleveland.com/news/article/5100816392234876125/ohios-state-wrestling-tournament-has-produced-more-than-its-share-of-memorable-moments-pat-galbincea/

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on March 3, 2010

Pat's 10 memories are excellent--- Pat will be remembered a long time in Ohio circles, he has been a good friend of mine for many years although i strongly disagreed with him on a few things, one thing i recall: leaving 3X state champ Drew Pariano off the PD first team. Pat was pretty stubborn and would never admit maybe it was a mistake, but it was.

...But thats not important, what is he was a good friend, loyal, a very good writer, he understood the sport, was colorful, and was a good wrestling man. The PD's wrestling coverage isn't much compared to what it once was, its decline began under Pat, but not Pat's fault. Editors, editors, damn editors, and accountants run newspapers nowadays.

...Pat was a "character", they are almost all gone from newspapers-- and when u think about it as society has become more homoginized, newspapers included, theres NO ROOM for the colorful guy anymore, the Dan Coughlin, the Bob Dolgan, the Jimmie the Greek, the Mike Royko, the Damon Runyon. Cookie-cutter-- diversity above ability-- correct speaking-- no smokers allowed, drinkers don't apply, cussers stay away, these are the tenets of news rooms nowadays.

a few fond memories i have with Pat:
... the time i convinced Greg Urbas that the Greenspan twins from Shaker Heights were Fed Chairman Alan Geenspans nephews, that always cracked Pat up and he liked to recount it. Pat had a very good sense of humor.

...Pat loved to watch Pro Wrestling, yes he did, and he loved to recount stories of some of its characters and matches at the old Cleveland Arena. Not my bag but it was fun listening.

...at state tourn Pat was the guy who would have the balls to challenge some silly OHSAA restriction or tell them he needed results quicker to make his deadline, he did this at NCAAs too. He represented a major paper so Pat had some muscle behind him and he used it.

...at state or NCAAs Pat would go in the back for an interview and always ask me to watch a couple matches for him-- i would and when he came back he always asked me "what move" so and so used to get the winning tkdn or pin. After all these years Pat, i can now tell you i usually didnt know so i just made something up.

...Pat was detail oriented, he took copious notes. He filled his state tourn program wt by wt with scores of every local kids match or key match results-- and he would take that dog-eared program out a year later and settle an argument or prove a point. Thats OLD-SCHOOL and i like it.

...Pat was a good STORY TELLER, he esp liked to talk about a colorful coach or referee and some incident that occured all the while relishing it with color.

...Pat was very opinionated so you always knew where he stood. That was ok by me.

...Pat thought Cleveland area wrestling was a RELIGION, he and i had great debates over what i called the decline of area wrestling in the past 15 or 20 years, he didnt think so but i did.

...if u called or wrote Pat, he is one of the very very few newspaper people who actually would respond to you. Most of the rest are somewhere on Mt Olympus i suppose.

...Pat Galbincea was true OLD-SCHOOL, a throwback to an era before the internet and forum age where selfstyled Gurus come and go just as quickly, and Aliases pass for integrity-- an older era when info was harder to come by, when contacts were everything, when a reporter burned shoe leather and the PD was an oracle. I miss alot about the era.

...Adios Pat, see you at Joe's Deli or wherever-- and i'll have a dish at El Vacqueros and think of you in Columbus. your friend, s/BobP

John Ice added to this discussion on March 3, 2010

Nice Bob!

Roe Fox added to this discussion on March 3, 2010

"__________ was pretty stubborn and would never admit maybe it was a mistake, but it was."

Bob: insert your name at the _________.

Not everything was perfect in his writing but it was good, sincere and he seemed to care about the sport. A lot more than can be said about others writing about wrestling today.

I get the PD and I do like the new guy, too. "Warsinsky" maybe?

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on March 3, 2010

go away RF ---

Pat and i have been friends for many years. He understands me and i understand him. i think my words will please him. No one cares your opinion.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on March 3, 2010

Bob: Point proved.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on March 4, 2010

hey RoFool,

Pat sent me this email tonite:

"Bob, you always did me right...I miss working with guys like you.
Pat"

doubt it?? email him instead of just running your big mouth.

PGALBINC@plaind.com

Roe Fox added to this discussion on March 4, 2010

Actually Bob I am writing, not speaking, so running the mouth doesn't apply. I am allowed an opinion. And whether you like it or not, the comment I posted about reflected an apparent arrogant and condescending comment by you about someone who's columns I enjoyed and thought it a rather stupid remark in a post otherwise meant to extoll Galbancea.

You can be long lost buddies. I don't care. You wrote the intial comment, not me. Grow up.

I won't comment publicly on this anymore. Let your breath out and stop stomping your feet.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on March 4, 2010

Loved the article. A lot of great memories.

Mark Palumbo added to this discussion on March 4, 2010

There is a nice two page spread in the PD today.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 4, 2010

I loved reading Pat's memories but what leaped out at me was his recollection of Vaughn v Musser. Musser did not win the others. Vaughn beat him 3 out of 4.

Having said that...Pat was my friend and gave my wrestlers a lot of attention when they warranted it. I appreciated his perspective and passion for the sport. As another coach once said to me: "you'd read his quotes and have no recollection of saying the things he'd written." But his heart was in the right place as was his understanding of why wrestling was a great sport.

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on March 4, 2010

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"I loved reading Pat's memories but what leaped out at me was his recollection of Vaughn v Musser. Musser did not win the others. Vaughn beat him 3 out of 4.

Having said that...Pat was my friend and gave my wrestlers a lot of attention when they warranted it. I appreciated his perspective and passion for the sport. As another coach once said to me: "you'd read his quotes and have no recollection of saying the things he'd written." But his heart was in the right place as was his understanding of why wrestling was a great sport."

I can tell you from everything I recall he was accurate in what he wrote about Tom Milkovich.

► Add to the Discussion