Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3

Discussion Topic: Public vs. Private Schools Athletics
Rex Holman added to this discussion on March 4, 2010

As a parent, you want the best opportunity for your kid and since jumping districts has become an option, it is an acceptable practice. It is actually the American way, which is to seek out the best opportunity and chase it with everything within your resources .

Some programs offer an advantage to develop their athletes faster and with more focus than other programs. This is done through coaching, workout partners and competition. Actually, Maple Heights had the advantage of superior coaching in the 70s. I believe you are just seeing a further evolution of this practice today, which includes district jumping, and relocation practices.

I am fairly certain that Pat Schlatter was trying to get the best opportunity for C.P. and Dustin by relocating them to what he saw as the best situations for their continued development.

Development is a funny thing, sort of...

The wrestlers, who are outperforming at an early age, are products of excellent talent, great coaching, great workout partners and great competition. It plays itself out in other areas of academia, sport, and arts. You may use a bell curve, which shows how many are are outperforming, performing moderately, or underperforming. Logan Stieber is that dot all the way on the right, which denotes the superior performer in wrestling.

Development is contingent upon so many factors when you increase the level of competition. The wrestlers, who make quick adjustments, is typically being guided by someone who has been through the rigors of the development process and understand the pitfalls. These coaches are able to circumvent many of the pitfalls and guide the wrestler with instruction and feedback towards the best choices.

High school is a fairly straight forward process. College is not, nor is the international level. You will greatly increase your chances of success by saddling yourself with the best, who take a personal interest in your development.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Roe Fox added to this discussion on March 4, 2010

Quote from Gary Sommers's post:

"

Quote from Roe Fox's post:

"Kevin is right. They can set the rules for the OHSAA. A suit would not be successful."

The OHSAA can state if you take students from outside a certain boundary you would not be able to compete in our tournament, and be successful at it?

Not sure you, or anyone, are in a position to give a legal opinion on that one."

You'd be surprised.

Anyone can file a lawsuit. Doesn't mean they win. OHSAA rules the roost.

And the transfer rules are all about this topic. At this point I'm not even sure what you are asking. If the point is can they restrict who participates based on where they live vs. where they go to school? If so, they can and do.

My high school, for instance. Cannot compete in OHSAA sactioned events. We didn't recruit for athletics. Small school. But we took students from throughout the country and farther. I'm fine with that because the potential for abuse if so inclined is there.

Look at Kiski, Wyoming Seminary, and the trendsetter, Blair. These types of schools can reload whenever they want. Whether they do is up to them.

Then again, perhaps I am not understanding the question. . .always possible.

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on March 4, 2010

"

Quote from Gary Sommers's post:

"

"Kevin is right. They can set the rules for the OHSAA. A suit would not be successful."

The OHSAA can state if you take students from outside a certain boundary you would not be able to compete in our tournament, and be successful at it?

Not sure you, or anyone, are in a position to give a legal opinion on that one."

You'd be surprised.

Anyone can file a lawsuit. Doesn't mean they win. OHSAA rules the roost.

And the transfer rules are all about this topic. At this point I'm not even sure what you are asking. If the point is can they restrict who participates based on where they live vs. where they go to school? If so, they can and do.

My high school, for instance. Cannot compete in OHSAA sactioned events. We didn't recruit for athletics. Small school. But we took students from throughout the country and farther. I'm fine with that because the potential for abuse if so inclined is there.

Look at Kiski, Wyoming Seminary, and the trendsetter, Blair. These types of schools can reload whenever they want. Whether they do is up to them.

Then again, perhaps I am not understanding the question. . .always possible."

I TOTALLY agree that anyone can file, but doesn't mean you will win. I tell my kids that all the time.

I guess my question is can they restrict what schools are eligible to participate based on whether that school has a true "open" enrollment like the Catholic schools around Cleveland v. having boundaries like apparently they do in Columbus. I don't see them ever telling Ignatius they are no longer able to participate in OHSAA events because they have open boundaries.

I believe that was the issue being discussed.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3