Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Nemec/Jamison wrestle off
Jack Muni added to this discussion on February 27, 2010

The video of the match is on Buckeyewrestling.com link. They had a real referee brought in, too. I always thought it would be one of the coaches that would call the match. It's kind of weird watching because it's so quiet. I guess no one wants to pick sides when both are your teammates.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

John Ice added to this discussion on February 27, 2010

I thought the final score was decieving, closer than the score indicates. I hope they both get info the lineup next year.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 27, 2010

Wrestleoffs are difficult for the wrestlers. It's hard to find the proper intensity within the wrestling room environment and surrounded by teammates and coaches.

I thought both wrestlers knew each other well and that Nemec had reacted well to some of Jameson's funk. Probably comes from wrestling each other constantly.

Jameson's season is probably over. He has so much potential that it's difficult to fathom him not being in the lineup next year. He does many things that can't be taught and which are reminiscent of Ben Askren. If I'm Tom Ryan, I get every piece of video footage of Askren that exists, show it to Jameson and then have him drill the same counters. Jameson can do that stuff.

Nemec is a solid wrestler that hasn't had enough time on the mat this year to get into a rhythm. Still, if he can just get one nice win at the Big Tens, he could qualify for nationals and have a shot to AA. 157 is a wide open wt this year.

If Garcia redshirts next year, you could possibly move up Nemec and Colt--although I think Sponseller is a 165 size-wise.

Nicholas Sestito added to this discussion on February 28, 2010

I thought this was an excellent match, with both guys pushing the action. I still think Nemec won decisively.

He was the bigger 157 to begin with, he was able to stop Jameson's funk for the most part. He was able to capitalize on Jameson by working him for the near fall on two occasions. He did lose his position a couple times however.

Jameson fought Nemec all the way. He's very explosive and always moving, which can get him into trouble like when he got turned for 3 near fall. I also thought he'd try to work more angles on Nemec for a takedown, he kept pushing straight into him, which I don't think you can really do against a bigger, stronger opponent.

Regardless, it'll be interesting to see what we'll see next year. We've got a logjam of middleweights to sort through.

J.P. Barner added to this discussion on February 28, 2010

Jameson seems too small to be 157. Could he project at 149 for next year? Who else would be at that weight - Collin Palmer?

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 28, 2010

JP: While looks can be deceiving I agree that Jameson does appear smallish at the weight class. I think the Bucks staff would love to have the first five wt classes next year as follows:
125: L. Stieber
133: Triggas/Paddock
141: C. Palmer
149: Jameson
157: Nemec

The key would be to have Jameson work out all summer and keep his wt below 160. For those keeping track, that lineup would include 3 4x state champs (assuming Stieber wins and Paddock starts) plus 2 3x champs.

Then you could finish as follows:

165: Sponseller/Garcia
174: Sponseller/Garcia
184: Heflin/Capone
197: Magrum
285: Hiles

There would be a lot of upside to that lineup. Key would be to get Jameson down to 149. Otherwise, you could slide up C. Palmer and Paddock and have the winner of Triggas and Harrington as your 133.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on February 28, 2010

How is a result like this even possible...given the fact that Jameson is the greatest wrestler of all time (sorry Derek, I couldn't help it).

Seriously, the result doesn't surprise me, but the point spread does. Is there anyone close to the team that knows if Jameson is really a 149 wrestling up? He seems a little small for the weight. If he is a true 149, his wins this year are all the more impressive and it bodes well for the Buckeyes next year.

I know I give Derek a hard time, but Jameson is truly a talent and if he can get in the line-up at 149 next year I think the team would be better for it.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on February 28, 2010

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"JP: While looks can be deceiving I agree that Jameson does appear smallish at the weight class. I think the Bucks staff would love to have the first five wt classes next year as follows:
125: L. Stieber
133: Triggas/Paddock

The key would be to have Jameson work out all summer and keep his wt below 160. For those keeping track, that lineup would include 3 4x state champs (assuming Stieber wins and Paddock starts) plus 2 3x champs.

Then you could finish as follows:

165: Sponseller/Garcia
174: Sponseller/Garcia
184: Heflin/Capone
197: Magrum

There would be a lot of upside to that lineup. Key would be to get Jameson down to 149. Otherwise, you could slide up C. Palmer and Paddock and have the winner of Triggas and Harrington as your 133."

This is what I would LIKE to see happen at the bottom half:
125: Harrington/Stieber (would like to see Logan redshirt, but that probably won't happen)
133: Triggas (I like to think they'll give Paddock a redshirt and then he'll come back as an animal the next year after Triggas finishes up his career)

And this is how I think the upper half ends up:
165: Sponseller
174: Heflin (just won the NCO at this weight)
184: Magrum/Capone
197: Magrum/Capone

Christopher Henderson added to this discussion on February 28, 2010

Heflin won the NCO. What is the NCO, and is there a link to the results?

Ben Golden added to this discussion on February 28, 2010

Quote from Christopher Henderson's post:

"Heflin won the NCO. What is the NCO, and is there a link to the results?"

National Collegiate Open...

http://intermatwrestle.com/Files/pdf/09-10/tournaments/nationalcollegiateopen.pdf

Christopher Henderson added to this discussion on March 1, 2010

Thanks, Ben! It looks like Heflin didn't have any close matches so that's very encouraging. I also noticed Jarred Platt wrestling heavyweight and winning it all. I wonder where he might end up wrestling?

Ben Golden added to this discussion on March 1, 2010

Quote from Christopher Henderson's post:

"Thanks, Ben! It looks like Heflin didn't have any close matches so that's very encouraging. I also noticed Jarred Platt wrestling heavyweight and winning it all. I wonder where he might end up wrestling?"

Yeah. I hadn't heard of a lot of people in Heflin's bracket, but I see Dan Yates was there and I seem to remember him being a blue chipper for Michigan. In any event it's a good tourney win for Nick.

► Add to the Discussion