Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Sportsmanship revisited
Rex Holman added to this discussion on February 26, 2010

The Dear Lee Kemp thread evolved into a discussion about sportsmanship. This is a worthwhile topic; Why the revisit? I was up at 3 am after a fire alarm run and went onto Flowwrestling and saw that Tamillow had written about this subject on his blog. It was an interesting read and affected others as displayed in the comments section. He addresses some topics directly and maybe does not quite find the right language to express his thoughts, but he is pretty close IMO.

Back to Iowa, I have noticed that there are no head shoves out of bounds after the whistle. Admittedly, I don't follow the rule changes as closely as was once necessary for me. Is this now construed as unsportsmanlike?

There is a reason for whistles, boundaries, time clocks and rules. It provides the recognized parameters, one should operate within in order to achieve victory. To operate outside of those parameters is to be non observant nor in accordance with those parameters. An athlete is fulfilling personal needs and behavior by operating outside of those parameters. I propose that to do so is unsportsmanlike or poor form. I am not talking about warm fuzzies, hugs and kisses. I am talking about being respectful of rules which the athlete should abide.

I lay claim that the rules and conditions, which are placed upon to the athlete are the chief determinant of sportsmanship.

So, if you are supposed to shake hands after a match and get your hand raised or wait a moment for your opponent to get his; just do so as it is the sportsmanlike thing to do. Running off the mat like a third grader having a tantrum prior to the accepted progression of events is unsportsmanlike. Unsportsmanlike describes behavior that is petty, immature, and rash.

We have all acted unsportsmanlike at times, but how many of us ever had a coach that specifically made distinction of the parameters and given us a code by which to operate. Maybe some of you had, me, not so much. Winners are given a free pass to act as they want; be it a dolt or a sportsman.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Palumbo added to this discussion on February 26, 2010

"Winners are given a free pass to act as they want" Rex.

Unfortunately that is too true. The better you are the more crap people will put up with. Bobby Knight chair throwing, Brands (one of them) not shaking hands after a loss, an Olympic silver medalist throwing his award down in discussed, steroid users going from criminal #1 to celebrated and given awards within 10 months of each other. As long as you win all seems forgiven. It is a shame!

It is extremely important for the coaches of young athletes, to not only teaches these kids to win with class, but also handle defeat with class. I’m not saying you can’t be upset if you lose, just know others are watch and no matter what level you are on, there are those whom look up to you. It may be as basic as a little brother looking up to his big brother in middle school. The lessons that we take away from the sport stick with us long after wrestling becomes an after though in our lives weather we know it or not.

It would also be nice to see some of these coaches and the public of these elite athletes be held to the same standard…but I’m not holding my breath. We should thank the Curt Warner’s, Harry Lester’s, and Grey Maynard’s of the world. No one is perfect but these guys IMO seem to handle this with class and I’m sure coaching has something to do with it.

Mike Taylor added to this discussion on February 26, 2010

I think this very issue of sportsmanship is why I appreciate the opportunity to coach our JV squad. Sure, I work with all of our wrestlers in the practice room, but I sit matside w/ the JV kids. At the JV level, there is a lot less stress than at varsity. MOST parents aren't as intense at these matches. I think the primary reason is because they aren't fooled into thinking their kid is the best. They acknowledge their kid isn't even the best on his own team. Therefore, wrestling can be enjoyed in a different manner than those attending a varsity meet. This environment allows me to better force the expectation of sportsmanship into the subconscious of our wrestlers. I can pull a wrestler of mine aside and rip him a new one for unsportsmanlike conduct following a match and have little concern that a parent will get bent out of shape because of my actions. At the varsity level, this isn't necessarily the case. The prima donas are that way because their parents (typically) enable that behavior. I find the JV level to be so vitally important in the development of not only quality athletes but quality men. Learn how to win and lose w/ grace when the stakes are lower. When the pressure increases, I believe they will remember those lessons and will act accordingly.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on March 1, 2010

The athletes will follow their coaches lead. In 11 years as head coach I have only had 1 athlete lose a team point (threw headgear as he stepped off mat). The amount of running that followed is still passed down to future wrestlers. Set the standard and hold ALL your athletes AND yourself to it. The team will act likewise.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on March 2, 2010

Good points are made.

Sportsmanship is a big umbrella of conduct concerning an athlete's behavior.
It is kind of like using "work" to describe wrestling.

Sportsmanship is an open-ended concept, which largely goes unnoticed, unaddressed and unrewarded. The occasion that it is recognized is when an act is above and beyond what is necessary. IMO, I think fairness is central to the concept and reflects the true intention of sportsmanship

Adherence to the rules provides an equal playing field with an implied amount of respect and appreciation for your opponent, team, self, instititution and others. By following the rules you are sportsmanlike.

On matters of unsportsmanlike conduct, the athlete is acting in opposition to the rules. The athlete is breaking the rules, which are accepted by the athletes in terms of mutual consent. The athlete is acting outside the lines and should be penalized. Whether it is throwing a head gear, or taking drugs to get an edge. Those actions are unsportsmanlike as the rules are broken and fairness has been compromised. So, in effect the athletes has chosen to play by their own set of rules. It is basically saying FU to everyone else involved.

Those matters that tow the line, need to be reviewed and assessed going forward. They should be assessed in terms of spirit and letter of the law to make determination of sportsmanship.

Mark Palumbo added to this discussion on March 2, 2010

Rex, IMO respect was the key word in your post. Sportsmanship is about the respect you have for your opponent and yourself. I also like the “if you lead they will follow” aspect of the thread. Respect should be held high within the coaching ranks as well.
It goes beyond the mat and the rules of competition. One of the better examples of this is when you see a high school age varsity wrestler showing technique and helping a JV kid that is nipping at his heels for the spot. This example shows the varsity athletes “sportsmanship” and big picture thinking. Also outside the room, when a group of athletes keep each other out of bad situations and seem to make better choices as a group than they would individually. I’ve seen these examples a handful of times and when I use to coach. I can tell you, for me there is no better feeling. You can tell your teachings have affected (for the better) the lives of a handful of kids. After all, coaches should be in the business of bettering athletes and putting them in(helping them get to) the best possible position to be successful in both wrestling and life.

Mark-

I was trying to be more specific in pinpointing a definition for Sportsmanship, as it is a pretty much a blanket concept meant to encompass everything. It almost gets to the point where you need to say something of the effect, altruism in the context of sportsmanship or peer guidance in the form of sportsmanship.

My point is that the nuances and distinctiveness of a certain type of sportsmanship has not been defined due to our cultural indifference towards the matter.

Eskimos have 50 different words for snow which define and account for various types. They do so because it is important to their existence. Sportsmanship has not been meted out the same type of system because it is not nearly as important in our culture.

Last edited by Rex Holman on March 2, 2010; edited 1 time in total

Rick Wasmer added to this discussion on March 2, 2010

In a popular 1940 article on the subject, Whorf referred to Eskimo languages having seven distinct words for snow. Later writers inflated the figure in sensationalized stories: by 1978, the number quoted had reached 50, and on February 9, 1984, an unsigned editorial in The New York Times gave the number as one hundred.[2]

I wonder how many words for sportsmanship Eskimos have .

Mark Palumbo added to this discussion on March 2, 2010

Rex, I see your point. To me sportsmanship and good sportsmanship is a way of looking at things and conducting yourself based on that outlook. It comes down to many of the things you mentioned, respect being first and foremost in my mind.

It would be nice to see a paradigm shift that would include our culture celebrating true “good sportsmanship” not just the Sportsmanship award for the kid that did not find success but has stuck with the team for a long time and you had no other award to give him. How nice would it be to turn on ESPN or any news outlet and see a sportsmanship of the week segment about athletes going above and beyond in their efforts to show good sportsmanship?

As for other word to describe sportsmanship; class act, conducts one’s self with integrity, being a good sport, to compete and achieve mutual respect after the outcome of the event has been determined, good guy, I let him date my sister (if I had one).

Rick-

I stand corrected. I best look up my references before I quote from the dump heap of memory. Wiki dispels the Eskimo myth.

I still contend that sportsmanship is just a blanket concept that could be highly specific, if it were more important in our culture.

Rick Wasmer added to this discussion on March 2, 2010

Quote from Rex Holman's post:

"Rick-

I stand corrected. I best look up my references before I quote from the dump heap of memory. Wiki dispels the Eskimo myth.

I still contend that sportsmanship is just a blanket concept that could be highly specific, if it were more important in our culture."

Rex , no correction needed ,,,,I just posted that for comic relief !!

Everyone going to state ????

► Add to the Discussion